Microsoft To Start Shipping Windows 7 In September 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 26636

how much space should i allocate to windows 7 for optimal performance?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
15 GB should be enough if you do not install big software. I have mine set at 15GB. Once Windows 7 is out I will remove Vista & merge it to create a big 30 GB partition.

harry10

Gadgets freak
One thing bothers me is that Vista users must be feeling cheated. Those guys spent 5K to tens of thousands of rupees and after release of Win 7 would be probably neglected. They should have Offered Win 7 as a free upgrade to Vista Users.

You can always get the pirated cds available in India anywhere for an OS so no big deal.

Hope it doesnt suck like vista

And why you think so?
Particular reasons if any?

i dont understand people complaining about vista being inspired by others.......just try vista and xp on the same hardware(provided latest ones) ...notify the difference..

Vista is really great....good security, nice interface and good productivity.
My xp really dies when i keep an infected pendrive.

True. Most people who grumble about Vista either haven't explored it completely or they do not have a good system config to run it smoothly. Vista do requires 2gb and above ram for good operational experience.
Still choice is choice so whichever you like stay with it:cool:

mehra.rakesh

Journeyman
WOW its gr8 news ....hoping that launched w'out any delays .....

Oh common. Vista doesnt sucks. Its very stable and fast atleast on my system. I agree it needs high resources sometimes but not that much too. Hardware is dirt cheap now compared to when vista was launched and now every1 can easily afford 4GB RAM.

hmmm BTW ur siggy says u have 2 gig ram !!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 26636

15 GB should be enough if you do not install big software. I have mine set at 15GB. Once Windows 7 is out I will remove Vista & merge it to create a big 30 GB partition.

well i have to install maya,max,photoshop,after effects etc in addition to all the regular softwares.right now i have a separate partition set for installing softwares only.
1)so will 15-16gb be enough or should i keep around 20gb.
2)also if i decide to install my softwares on the same partition as windows 7 will 30gb be enough then.the softwares partition currently takes only 10gb of space.
3)is it better to install softwares on the same partition as the OS?

With Vista, and Win 7, I would recommend to make a big partition, as large as you can and use program files directory for installing almost all of your software. The reason is simple :

You dont have to reinstall Vista (and hopefully Win 7) too often, On my Dell Inspiron, Its original install (by me, not dell) is running as fast as ever. Also, if you ever need to reinstall Vista, do this :

a. Backup your important user profile data from Users and Program Data directory (In my case I backup my start menu too :) )

b. Boot from a Linux Live CD like mint, ubuntu etc or from another installation of windows on another partition and Delete the following directories (if present):
Inetpub, Perflogs, ProgramData, Users, Windows. Rename Program Files to something else.

c. Now install windows and after installing, move all the folders that are not in the newly created Program Files folder from the old program files. Of course if you have any software creating problem, don't move that. This way, most of the program files will be there and this gives you manifold benefit. First, some installers don't copy files again if they are already in place (example, Visual Studio 6, and many others) so installations finish faster. Secondly, most small programs work without installing so you wont have to install them again. Also using program files is a default option in most software installations so you can finish setups faster with the usual clicking of Next Next Next buttons. :)

In this way you'll have a clean install of Windows without any formatting etc. BUT THIS PROCESS IS NOT RECOMMENDED IF YOU ARE REINSTALLING WINDOWS BECAUSE OF VIRUS PROBLEMS. Sorry for the all caps :)

One more tip is to install your games as well as multimedia files and your Documents folder on a separate partition. This way, your save games remain safe, and The OS partition defragmentation runs more effectively.

On my System with 250 GB HDD, i have a 100 GB Vista Partition, 112 GB Data Partition
with My Documents, Games, Music, Videos and Pictures on it and 16 GB+3.1 GB Linux partitions for Sabayon Linux and its SWAP. This way i have a balance 60+ GB free on both my partitions and 6 GB free on my linux parition. My System runs happily and defragmentor shows my filesystem performance as good, which i also feel myself :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
1)so will 15-16gb be enough or should i keep around 20gb.

Windows 7 needs 11 GB of harddisk space to install, after installing Windows 7 build 7048 is 7 GB in my System which includes the 2 GB hibernation file.

No matter how big is your primary partition, it is never enough if you install lots of applications. So make a separate partition if that's what you need.

is it better to install softwares on the same partition as the OS?

Doesn't matter where you install it & on which partition. If you have a look at the Microsoft recommended way to installation & creating an application then Microsoft recommends that programs install anywhere the user likes (by default the program files folder) but the user specific settings will go to C:\Users\Appdata.

In case you are reinstalling Windows, make sure to backup your users folder. After reinstalling just copy the old configuration files again to get the same settings & tweaks of programs back.

I have a 160 GB hard disk. Windows Vista & Windows 7 are installed on 25 GB partitions(sorry for the type previously). Rest all is a Files partition. Once I have to move to Windows 7, I will backup my files to somewhere & remove all the partitions. Then recreate a 25 GB partition for Windows 7 only & rest all for Files.

x3060

A LOTR fan
i will use vlite to remove unwanted drivers , thats what i did to vista too..i dont like o.s eating up space like that.....

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Oh yes, 'm ready for this. And word is, DX10.1 gfx cards will support DX11 , and DX11 won't req. hardware change.

Hope this is true.

BTW, Win7 Release candidate duo April, 10th most probably.

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
mmmmmm why so early ??? they launched vista in 2007 just 2 years back only ......

maybe they understood that vista sucks lolz

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Ok.. so what's the difference between OEM and Retail version.. and which one should I opt for when it get released.. i will certainly go for Home Premium but OEM or Retail.. and do i need to activate again if i decied to reinstall it again?

clmlbx

Technomancer
^^ bro OEM version is what u get with Hardware (Laptop or desktop) and Retail version is what u purchase (just like any software (here OS)).

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Windows 7 will be the first retail version of windows that I am going to buy, whatever it costs. Till now I had used OEM versions of OS. This, I am sure will be the best windows OS and it will definitely surpass the popularity that XP has got (and is already on track to dethrone XP as the world's best OS). It's a complete OS with everything that I wanted. I will be happy to increase the MS's market share in Operating Systems. I urge every single person to buy the genuine win7 OS.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Although I will get Windows 7 through MSDN, but I am also upgrading my hardware for Windows 7 a complete Windows 7 desktop experience.

Just today I ordered Microsoft Wireless Desktop 6000, 2 GB RAM for a total of 3 GB RAM, After selling my 1 GB DDR2 RAM, Pinnacle Media Center Remote & Microsoft Lifechat 6000. Also bought NOD32 Antivirus 4.0 & TMPGenc Xpress 4.0 ( a software worth paying)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom