Microsoft To Start Shipping Windows 7 In September 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
*images.macnn.com/esta/content/0902/windows7-pdc2.jpg

Microsoft could have Windows 7 on shipping PCs by September, Compal president Ray Chen said today at an investor's conference. The PC contractor executive understands from plans that the software should be available in either late September or early October. The news would corroborate word of an April release candidate that would let Microsoft finish, manufacture and deliver Windows 7 well ahead of the holidays.

Compal builds systems on behalf of Acer, HP and other major PC makers.

Amelia Agrawal, a spokeswoman for Microsoft, maintains the official company position that Windows 7 will be available within three years of when Vista shipped. However, the company's upgrade program plans and other leaks have increasingly suggested that the public goal, which would put the release in early 2010, is deliberately conservative and meant to avoid embarrassment in the event of an unexpected delay. Microsoft has acknowledged a shortened development track that includes just one public beta and one readily available release candidate before the ship date.

While Windows 7 itself has proven stable in testing, the company is believed under significant pressure to release it this year. One of the first significant declines in Windows revenue surfaced in Microsoft's most recent financial quarter as continued hesitation over Vista as well as a preference for Windows XP in netbooks have both hurt the company's core business. Windows 7 improves both performance and user interface elements, and is explicitly designed to run more smoothly on netbook-level hardware.

Source

Great. When will it hit OEMs ?

BTW, this time, the best edition (for a gamer) , Home Basic, will be emerging markets exclusive but lacks multitouch. I hope it comes in 3K retail like vista basic :D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ Are you kidding??

Aero is made smoother and less GPU/CPU intensive
New superbar
support for DX10.1
Preview Desktop
drag-to-align

And there are many more modifications to Aero interface.

To be precise, Aero and Driver packs were where MS concentrated most.

utsav

damn busy...
Hope it doesnt suck like vista

Oh common. Vista doesnt sucks. Its very stable and fast atleast on my system. I agree it needs high resources sometimes but not that much too. Hardware is dirt cheap now compared to when vista was launched and now every1 can easily afford 4GB RAM.

aura

Sync dreams to reality
utsav I do agree with you that hardware is very cheap now a days but still if you take into consideration of a fact that now laptops are selling more than desktops globally.

And most of these laptops "cannot" run Vista Aero properly due to graphics card or dedicated graphics memory constraints as you probably will agree that most of the laptops don't come with a graphics card, and the ones with graphics card installed are not affordable to common man.

Hence, in such cases people prefer XP over Vista even on a new system. SO until and unless Windows 7 can run smoothly on "NetBooks" microsoft might see their Vista debacle history repeating.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Can you please stop fighting over Vista. In few months it's going to be history, so please stop fighting. This thread is about win7 and talk if you have something to say about win7.

hostoco

Right off the assembly line
Great news... do you have any idea about the pricing ? whats the minimum system requirements or would it requires huge RAM like VISTA ;)

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
Windows 7 is a blunder, in my opinion. Its being launched oonly about three years after Vista, it hasn't got a cool name, it's taskbar looks idiotic etc. Thuogh this reply is biased due to the fact that the typer is only just getting used to Vista.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@@alexanderthegreat

Windows 3.1: 1992
Windows 95: 1995
Windows 98: 1998
Windows XP: 2001
Windows Vista: 2007
Window 7: 2009 (expected)

Understood???

The taskbar that you think looks idiotic is extremely helpful when compared to the earlier ones. Anyways, criticism is welcome :)

Last edited:

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
^^Looks like you didn't get the joke. I should use sarcasm tags. Anyway, I'm one of the boring ones who explains the jokes to a crowd that didn't understand it. So, I meant that I am expecting another late release. Anyway, lets see what they make out of the new "professional" name. I still say the name Windows Vienna or black comb sounds ten times better than Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom