Microsoft now understands Windows 8 is very annoying

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Windows 8 forces you to adapt instead of being intuitive. You seem to think of TheVerge.com as something stupid.

wow, one more baseless post. help me find where i said verge is stupid?

Why do you think it's bad for someone to criticise Windows 8? Not getting the point, I can't help it.

i can't help it either. i've always stated it's my personal opinion and i understand there are people who didn't like win 8 for their own reasons. if you can't find it, it's just above your reply.

all i was asking in all my posts is to state the annoyance you've personally faced with win 8 rather than "this popular website said win 8 is bad..so it must be bad".. just read back my replies if you have patience and also see your replies to the posts. one says i'm naive because everyone is criticizing win 8 and i'm praising it. one says the website is not stupid to say win 8 is bad when i've requested more than couple of times not to reply with that again.

if you could reply with your annoyances with win 8, we can try to help you if we can and potential buyers of the OS can know if a particular thing with the OS is a deal breaker for them. I've been asking it in all my previous replies and you just ignore all the core matter where you cannot prove the point and just come out with a bland reply "everyone is annoyed bro, that's why ms is doing it" "bro wtf, xyz is not a stupid website" all the time. again and again.

hope you got my point atleast now.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
oh really. i would consider them substance less and a prolly a result of bandwagon effect. If they were annoyed with win 8 they would have posted what annoyed em rather than saying "xyz website said win 8 is bad"

i would like to quote Krow's reply. it may clear some air.

1. Microsoft is not going to give a damn about anyone whining and if you're hoping future versions of windows will take traditional win 7 route, you'll have to stick to win 7 forever.

2. stop posting bland replies like "xyz website said it is bad and hence it should be bad" instead tell what you found annoying with win 8. we can help you if it is a simple issue and future purchasers may see if it is deal breaker for em or not. I've been saying that since my first reply and the responses again are same. it makes me assume it's just the bandwagon effect.

3. when the desktop mode is exactly same as win 7 (and even better), i don't see a touch vs non-touch issue here. and the boot to desktop feature is welcomed.

4. the start screen is a boon if you know how to use it(non-touch user here). Once if you get the hang out of new interface it is more intuitive than win 7. it maybe difficult for those who can't adapt easily. there's a room for improvement though. anyways it depends on personal preference but i liked it. i now find win 7 start menu clunky and reminds me how hierarchical it was. WIN + X was a great addition to win 8.

let me tell you again, there are people who really didn't like win 8 and it is understandable. the problem here is the baseless whining i see on this forum. (anyways checking the replies i see they are outnumbered)

To Point No. 1:
If Microsoft is not going to give a damn about anyone whining than I am afraid that Microsoft is in for a fall for sure. Every company is open to criticism & if Microsoft thinks it can force users to adapt to its new interface which many people find "ANNOYING" then that may not be a good route to follow. I have repeatedly stated about separate programs for Desktop mode & Tiles UI being one.

To Point No. 2:
Microsoft Windows 8 costs INR 7,999 & Windows 8 Pro costs INR 12,999. An Operating System is necessary to run your computer. It's the most important software from the users' perspective since he/she will be using it all the time as long as the computer is running. Because of this, major case studies are conducted on how to make the Operating System more user-friendly. It takes years to develop such a software & are expectations are very high if you're the leader in the market share. The sentences you quoted are not mere "bland" and "substance less". Sites like TheVerge.com is followed by a good audience & it is based in the USA which makes it more demanding. I am not a promoter of the site. Let me quote another source , CNET, which in my opinion may attract some respect from you, if you follow technology:

My non-touch Windows 8 world | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews

How to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7 | Reviews | CNET UK

MarketWatch Slams Windows 8, Calls it Unmitigated Disaster

Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster | Matthew Murray | PCMag.com

A critique of Windows 8:
Why Windows 8 Is The First Windows Release I Absolutely Hate - Forbes

To Point No. 3:
Read reply to Point No. 2 because that explains why the need to segregate desktop mode from Tiles UI.

To Point No. 4:
It's good that you liked it. Many haven't even after trying to. Being outnumbered in just this small thread doesn't make you some sort of a winner as this issue incorporates users from the whole world.

"let me tell you again, there are people who really didn't like win 8 and it is understandable."
Can you guess the reason behind that?

wow, one more baseless post. help me find where i said verge is stupid?

i can't help it either. i've always stated it's my personal opinion and i understand there are people who didn't like win 8 for their own reasons. if you can't find it, it's just above your reply.

all i was asking in all my posts is to state the annoyance you've personally faced with win 8 rather than "this popular website said win 8 is bad..so it must be bad".. just read back my replies if you have patience and also see your replies to the posts. one says i'm naive because everyone is criticizing win 8 and i'm praising it. one says the website is not stupid to say win 8 is bad when i've requested more than couple of times not to reply with that again.

if you could reply with your annoyances with win 8, we can try to help you if we can and potential buyers of the OS can know if a particular thing with the OS is a deal breaker for them. I've been asking it in all my previous replies and you just ignore all the core matter where you cannot prove the point and just come out with a bland reply "everyone is annoyed bro, that's why ms is doing it" "bro wtf, xyz is not a stupid website" all the time. again and again.

"all the other replies were bland and substance less like "omg win 8 sucks", "see guys a top class website said it win 8 is bad" "microsoft wouldn't have added start button if people weren't annoyed" "it is made for touch, not for my desktop".. and my replies were intended at them not at you or someone who are being neutral. and again i'm only talking about win 8 and not microsoft's other products."

You called the reference of TheVerge.com as bland (meaning lacking strong features or characteristics) & substance-less (meaning insubstantial or the same as bland). My sentence "You seem to think of TheVerge.com as something stupid." is an inference of your these two words which, though, mean the same thing. Does that inference seem to be "baseless" to you?

"i can't help it either. i've always stated it's my personal opinion and i understand there are people who didn't like win 8 for their own reasons. if you can't find it, it's just above your reply. "
Again , what can be the reasons from your view? Aren't they concerned with the major one of Start Menu/Button/Tiles UI ? I have now given you some links of websites.

"just read back my replies if you have patience and also see your replies to the posts. one says i'm naive because everyone is criticizing win 8 and i'm praising it. "
If you can't handle criticism then you're naive in my opinion.

"hope you got my point atleast now."

I hope the same.

Last edited:

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
i'm happy atleast now you made some effort to give a sensible reply.

yet again disappointed with your affection with other websites. i know how much popular and respectable websites like verge, cnet are. you need not try to enlighten us on that.
what i was saying is stop quoting the masses and and tell your problems with win 8 like how everyone who liked it posted what they liked in it. imagine how it would be if the discussion was "this website loves win 8.. it is good" and someone replies with "no, see these guys said it sucks". anyways let us leave that with this post cuz how many times i request, you would always include a reference to some website in your replies.

You called the reference of TheVerge.com as bland (meaning lacking strong features or characteristics) & substance-less (meaning insubstantial or the same as bland). My sentence "You seem to think of TheVerge.com as something stupid." is an inference of your these two words which, though, mean the same thing. Does that inference seem to be "baseless" to you?
it doesn't mean theverge.com or the websites you are quoting are stupid but a reply "its from verge ..we're not just shouting like kids..... if it weren't annoying then MS wudn't had taken this step".. is bland. we've already read the link you've posted in op and when hari1 says he likes windows 8 and he doesn't understand why it is hard for people to learn it, your reply to it is absolutely content less and even if you hate win 8 for genuine reasons that replay makes you look like banddwagaon

so i was asking you to stop such bland posts because you have already said em in your previous posts ans focus on the problems you've faced in win 8 but yo still carry em in every reply. even in your latest reply.

thanks for replying to each point individually

1. yes, you're right they should be open minded but they do know what they are doing and why.. this is the path the future versions of windows are going to take. we need not discuss this point as it is in no way in our control.

2 .your point 2 reply is in now way related to the request in the previous post asking you to not post bland replies. or to be precise.. you've done the opposite. just read my point 2 and see what you have posted in reply to it. as i already said, we'll just leave it here as you're anyways gonna do that in every post of yours.

3. so you have problems with separate apps for desktop and metro ui. you can just use whatever you like.. start the computer, click on desktop, your win 7 is back. why do you care if there are two internet explorers bundled with the os? just use the one of your liking. you can pin all your desktop application shortcuts to start. if i'm missing something here, feel free to include it in your next reply.

4. Alright. I'm glad at least majority of people on tdf are able to use win 8 without annoyance.

"let me tell you again, there are people who really didn't like win 8 and it is understandable."
Can you guess the reason behind that?
i couldn't. that's why i was asking you your personal annoyances with win 8 instead of links to popular websites explaining me why win 8 is bad and how to make win 8 to look like win 7.
and there isn't anything in the world that is liked by one and all, so it is understandable that there are people who didn't like win 8.

Last edited:
OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
i'm happy atleast now you made some effort to give a sensible reply.

yet again disappointed with your affection with other websites. i know how much popular and respectable websites like verge, cnet are. you need not try to enlighten us on that.
what i was saying is stop quoting the masses and and tell your problems with win 8 like how everyone who liked it posted what they liked in it. imagine how it would be if the discussion was "this website loves win 8.. it is good" and someone replies with "no, see these guys said it sucks". anyways let us leave that with this post cuz how many times i request, you would always include a reference to some website in your replies.

it doesn't mean theverge.com or the websites you are quoting are stupid but a reply "its from verge ..we're not just shouting like kids..... if it weren't annoying then MS wudn't had taken this step".. is bland. we've already read the link you've posted in op and when hari1 says he likes windows 8 and he doesn't understand why it is hard for people to learn it, your reply to it is absolutely content less and even if you hate win 8 for genuine reasons that replay makes you look like banddwagaon

so i was asking you to stop such bland posts because you have already said em in your previous posts ans focus on the problems you've faced in win 8 but yo still carry em in every reply. even in your latest reply.

thanks for replying to each point individually

1. yes, you're right they should be open minded but they do know what they are doing and why.. this is the path the future versions of windows are going to take. we need not discuss this point as it is in no way in our control.

2 .your point 2 reply is in now way related to the request in the previous post asking you to not post bland replies. or to be precise.. you've done the opposite. just read my point 2 and see what you have posted in reply to it. as i already said, we'll just leave it here as you're anyways gonna do that in every post of yours.

3. so you have problems with separate apps for desktop and metro ui. you can just use whatever you like.. start the computer, click on desktop, your win 7 is back. why do you care if there are two internet explorers bundled with the os? just use the one of your liking. you can pin all your desktop application shortcuts to start. if i'm missing something here, feel free to include it in your next reply.

4. Alright. I'm glad at least majority of people on tdf are able to use win 8 without annoyance.

i couldn't. that's why i was asking you your personal annoyances with win 8 instead of links to popular websites explaining me why win 8 is bad and how to make win 8 to look like win 7.
and there isn't anything in the world that is liked by one and all, so it is understandable that there are people who didn't like win 8.

OMG Again you're writing just one thing that I am referring to websites & only that is the way to prove my point. I am referring articles because in that way I am trying to show you that it is a genuine problem & if I weren't referring to websites then you would say that my annoyance is not a genuine one. I hoped you understood this basic fact by my previous reply but you're hellbent on suppressing my points. I have already posted the reasons of annoyance & I wanted to give evidences of it by external websites. What is wrong in citing those references again when their not bland? If you find that as me being affectionate :)-D) then from now on , we should not post any source in future threads. Why the hell do you think the thread rules carry a saying that posting a source is "MANDATORY". I hope you read the forum rules at least.

"so i was asking you to stop such bland posts because you have already said em in your previous posts ans focus on the problems you've faced in win 8 but yo still carry em in every reply. even in your latest reply."

I have cited you the reasons & I had already posted those reasons before but you kept saying that my points are bland & substance less, so I had to cite again.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Anyday what matters more is the usability. If you can use windows 8 fine then you are fine. Referring such sites are not required. It is all dependent on you. If you find it easy, then use it. Initially i also read such news and found difficult to use windows 8. But after getting used to with it, i am really happy to use windows 8 over 7. It is very fast. You will find it only when you go back to windows 7 after using windows 8 for a while.
Again why wouldnt some one mind to adapt the new change? W8 is not definitely annoying.
My vote go for windows 8 and again it is all my personal opinion:)

riturajsharma19

Broken In
I tried Windows 8 Enterprise for four months and even though it had its positives, I 'downgraded' to Win7 Ultimate for the following reasons -

1. The Windows 8 login screen doesn't show a list of all users by default, as was the case with the earlier versions. Incase one of the users has a password-less account and he is the last one to use the system, a new user booting up would be taken straight to the account of that previous user. Even if all accounts are password-enabled, any new user has to press on the back button on the login screen to view the list of users. I found this to be a major irritant, especially on a multi-user PC, as this involves multiple clicks, whereas with Win7 you just click on your username in the login screen.

2. I can easily choose to skip the modern start screen and stay on the desktop mode. However, I find the Charms bar to be a constant irritant, as it appears whenever the mouse pointer unintentionally moves to the right corners. This apart, clicking on the network notification icon in the taskbar brings out this large menu with very little information, occupying almost a quarter of my screen area.

3. Restarting the system with a mouse and without pressing Alt+F4 is another major irritant. There are occasions when I just want to navigate the UI just with the mouse and without pulling the keyboard out of its drawer. In such situations, if I wish to restart the system with just the mouse and without using Win+I to bring out the charms bar, it is again a lengthier process than Win 7.

4. I found that I could never completely disable the UAC, even after it was set to 'Never Notify', whereas, in Win 7, once you put the UAC to not notify, it would do as stated. To cite an example, I use CorelDraw 12(only version of the software in my possession) occasionally and Windows 8 never allowed me to install it on my system. The workaround to that was completely disabling the UAC in the registry. Once the UAC is disabled in the registry, the metro apps get disabled. I normally don't give a damn about the metro apps, but I liked the weather app and the skydrive app. Now why Microsoft decided to link the UAC with the metro apps is beyond my understanding.

Now, there are fixes to these (apart from probably problem 1), but most of them involve editing many entries in the registry, which, I feel might make the system unstable/vulnerable. However, I liked the fluidity of the OS in general compared to Win 7 and the faster boot up and shutdown times, but the negatives far outweighed the positives for me. Having said that, if these issues or atleast some of these are ironed out by Blue, I would probably give 8 another go.

Rituraj

Last edited:

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
OMG Again you're writing just one thing that I am referring to websites & only that is the way to prove my point. I am referring articles because in that way I am trying to show you that it is a genuine problem & if I weren't referring to websites then you would say that my annoyance is not a genuine one. I hoped you understood this basic fact by my previous reply but you're hellbent on suppressing my points. I have already posted the reasons of annoyance & I wanted to give evidences of it by external websites. What is wrong in citing those references again when their not bland? If you find that as me being affectionate :)-D) then from now on , we should not post any source in future threads. Why the hell do you think the thread rules carry a saying that posting a source is "MANDATORY". I hope you read the forum rules at least.

"so i was asking you to stop such bland posts because you have already said em in your previous posts ans focus on the problems you've faced in win 8 but yo still carry em in every reply. even in your latest reply."

I have cited you the reasons & I had already posted those reasons before but you kept saying that my points are bland & substance less, so I had to cite again.

Source is mandatory... it's good that you've mentioned the source in in op. everyone has read that. what i was saying was your #26 type of replies add nothing to discussion and stop using them in every reply. anyways thanks for the discussion. i think i've carried good amount of personal opinions and thoughts on the subject through all my replies unlike some of your replies which just says "cnet link" "verge link".. so win 8 is bad. we know win 8 has some general negativity in some media for whatsoever reasons and what i was saying is enough of quoting them and let's focus on personal win 8 annoyances and that too i've said it for everyone else doing that but only you have picked it up. i've included this in all my replies and it seems like it would take forever for you to get this point. we could also find links to saying win 8 is good and link em here but that wouldn't be a sensible reply at all from our side.

also i'm glad you skip replying main points like point 3 which would help continue healthy discussion on win 8 instead you focus on finding me naive, not following forum rules etc. good for you.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Source is mandatory... it's good that you've mentioned the source in in op. everyone has read that. what i was saying was your #26 type of replies add nothing to discussion and stop using them in every reply. anyways thanks for the discussion. i think i've carried good amount of personal opinions and thoughts on the subject through all my replies unlike some of your replies which just says "cnet link" "verge link".. so win 8 is bad. we know win 8 has some general negativity in some media for whatsoever reasons and what i was saying is enough of quoting them and let's focus on personal win 8 annoyances and that too i've said it for everyone else doing that but only you have picked it up. i've included this in all my replies and it seems like it would take forever for you to get this point. we could also find links to saying win 8 is good and link em here but that wouldn't be a sensible reply at all from our side.

also i'm glad you skip replying main points like point 3 which would help continue healthy discussion on win 8 instead you focus on finding me naive, not following forum rules etc. good for you.

You're not getting it yet. I have used those websites as references to "corroborate" my personal experience. It is not like those websites have influenced my personal opinion about Windows 8. I have already explained you my personal experiences & I expect you or anyone to answer those drawbacks in a logical way & not a judgemental way.

"also i'm glad you skip replying main points like point 3 which would help continue healthy discussion on win 8 instead you focus on finding me naive, not following forum rules etc. good for you."
See your tone in your point no. 3. It smacks of authoritarianism. It forces me to adapt to the new confusing interface. Microsoft is planning to add a boot-to-desktop option only to consider complaints like mine. I hope you respect this explanation & don't be judgemental yourself.

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
See your tone in your point no. 3. It smacks of authoritarianism. It forces me to adapt to the new confusing interface. Microsoft is planning to add a boot-to-desktop option only to consider complaints like mine. I hope you respect this explanation & don't be judgemental yourself.

i'm sorry if my wording in above point showed authoritarianism for you. alright, so you are confused by new interface. hope microsoft makes it more intuitive for everyone in next versions. thanks for the discussion.

Krow

Crowman
Windows 8 forces you to adapt instead of being intuitive. You seem to think of TheVerge.com as something stupid.

Why do you think it's bad for someone to criticise Windows 8? Not getting the point, I can't help it.

The Verge used to be excellent, now I find their design appealing but content not so much. Reviews often feel like they are nitpicking to find cons and in general their "going beyond technology" thing is not working. I like their science coverage, not their Boston Marathon and other news coverage.

Windows 8 gives you the classic desktop mode as an option. That is hardly "forcing to adapt". As I said, whiners and eccentrics will never change.

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Windows 8 gives you the classic desktop mode as an option. That is hardly "forcing to adapt". As I said, whiners and eccentrics will never change.

yes, i was wondering what really was forcing to adapt in clicking on desktop tile after it boots up to start. it makes me wonder if these people have even actually tried final build of win 8 or just hate because everyone seems to hate it. i didn't want to ask this because i was afraid that i would be labelled as judgmental or sound like authoritarian. even if ask that, i know the reply would be "everyone is annoyed, that's why microsoft is adding boot to desktop"

people who are happy with win 7 may not need a immediate shift to win 8 and there may be people who had genuine annoyances with win 8. but some responses on the thread are really petty and sound like they are heavily influenced by negative publicity. now i would only be tagged as judgmental for saying this.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Tiles UI is a big leap forward to users who are accustomed to the traditional Windows visual style. Their's this separate programs for Desktop & Tiles UI. I have opened some tabs in Internet Explorer Tiles version , say , thinkdigit.com/forum, I move to the Desktop for doing some work & open Internet Explorer in the Desktop Version. Now I wanna open the ThinkDigit tab. I will have to go to the Tiles UI & open it from there instead of opening it from the same window or environment. This gives an impression that I am running 2 operating systems at the same time. In my opinion, what would have been great is Microsoft releasing two separate Windows 8 installs , one having Tiles UI + Desktop & the other with only Desktop but I am guessing Microsoft Windows 9 (or the next iteration) will not have desktop environment at all. It's only in Windows 8 that they have tried to retain the traditional user with an option for Desktop. In that case, it's no choice for the user to adapt to the Tiles UI.

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Tiles UI is a big leap forward to users who are accustomed to the traditional Windows visual style. Their's this separate programs for Desktop & Tiles UI. I have opened some tabs in Internet Explorer Tiles version , say , thinkdigit.com/forum, I move to the Desktop for doing some work & open Internet Explorer in the Desktop Version. Now I wanna open the ThinkDigit tab. I will have to go to the Tiles UI & open it from there instead of opening it from the same window or environment. This gives an impression that I am running 2 operating systems at the same time. In my opinion, what would have been great is Microsoft releasing two separate Windows 8 installs , one having Tiles UI + Desktop & the other with only Desktop but I am guessing Microsoft Windows 9 (or the next iteration) will not have desktop environment at all. It's only in Windows 8 that they have tried to retain the traditional user with an option for Desktop. In that case, it's no choice for the user to adapt to the Tiles UI.

solution to your problem: abandon using metro IE. just use desktop internet explorer. no need of switching between desktop and tiles ui then. also once you make any desktop browser your default browser, The IE tile on start only opens dekstop IE.

see if you can phrase the problems you have faced like this one, we could help you with it if it is simple instead of arguing over a negative review on internet.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I haven't given much time to Windows 8 because I was not happy with the drastic change in its interface. But I will definitely try to give it another shot by using only the Desktop environment although I doubt if one can just "abandon" the Tiles UI. This Internet Explorer "problem" is just a manifestation of the bigger issue in general of separate programs for Desktop & Tiles UI which I have outlined more than once before in this thread.

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
I haven't given much time to Windows 8 because I was not happy with the drastic change in its interface. But I will definitely try to give it another shot by using only the Desktop environment although I doubt if one can just "abandon" the Tiles UI. This Internet Explorer "problem" is just a manifestation of the bigger issue in general of separate programs for Desktop & Tiles UI which I have outlined more than once before in this thread.

glad that you are willing to give it an another try. your assumption of bigger issue of separate programs for desktop and tiles ui is not at all an issue. you can just use desktop programs altogether. i can confirm this because i'm using it now. win 8 has whole of win 7 and you can use it just as you used to use win 7 with even better features in desktop.

i seldom use tiles ui for the metro apps but use it for shortcuts to desktop programs because it is fast and is efficient to find programs than large clutter of icons on desktop. it's definitely a great interface for arranging your program shortcuts than the desktop icons. it is very useful if you have large number of icons.

*i.imgur.com/lmclVl1.png

if you couldn't get a hang of it, the desktop icons are always there.
*i.imgur.com/J17BYcr.png

Sarath

iDota
I have both Win 8 and 7 on my PC. What I did not understand was, how is Win 8 an improvement over the 7 ?

Annoying is an apt word for Win 8 in many ways.

Top Bottom