Microsoft now understands Windows 8 is very annoying

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
MS wouldn't had taken a step like this if it weren't annoying majority of people.

apparently it's only the start button which takes you to tiled start not the start menu. i don't even consider this as real addition. i feel like they are mocking people who can't figure out you can go to start cliking bottom left corner. now they are just adding a visible "start button" at the corner.

idk but prolly majority are annoyed by win 8, but the thing is microsoft is not going to give in to pressure.

my opinion is win 8 is as usable as win 7 and if one gives a little effort to learn how to get most out of the os, it's brilliant. win 7 is great os and there's no enough reason to shift to win 8 now but if you're hoping that microsoft will change it's path, you'll have to stick to win 7 forever.

ps: boot to desktop feature is welcomed.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
MS is a big company that you expect it not to give in so easily. Yes, I was annoyed by only the structure of Windows 8.. I consider Windows 7 to be much much better. I immediately switched back to it.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
I don't find Windows 8 annoying at all. In fact, thanks to the start screen I can press the Windows key using my left hand and scroll to the desired program's tile with my mouse in my right hand, all without having to rummage through a hierarchy of folders on the start menu. :D

hari1

In the zone
Just tried Windows 8 and learnt the entire interface in less than 20 minutes. Still not able to find a single annoying thing. Are all people, who are complaining, slow learners or what? The interface is just so easy. Move your mouse in the corners and you are done. The start button is gone and I have got some more free space on the taskbar. Really, there is nothing to complain about from my side. The start screen is just as easy as the start menu and is more customizable.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Just tried Windows 8 and learnt the entire interface in less than 20 minutes. Still not able to find a single annoying thing. Are all people, who are complaining, slow learners or what? The interface is just so easy. Move your mouse in the corners and you are done. The start button is gone and I have got some more free space on the taskbar. Really, there is nothing to complain about from my side. The start screen is just as easy as the start menu and is more customizable.

read the article also, its from a good site ..we're not just shouting like kids..... if it weren't annoying then MS wudn't had taken this step. see things from broad perspective

Krow

Crowman

This forum has a lot of whiners and eccentric users who refuse to adapt. Such people resist all kinds of changes and curse innovation. This is the bandwagon that laughed at and hated Apple when it launched iPhone and iPad, only to later become a member of the Android army. :p

Windows 8 is a step in the right direction. Sure, it is not perfect, but Microsoft was caught out by Apple's game-changing devices. It had to adapt to survive and I believe Windows 8, WP8 and Win RT are all going in the right direction. Soon, I expect Win RT to be default for Windows tablets, Win 8 for PCs/laptops and WP8 for phones. All will be strong market players in the near future, especially in India. They will take time to iron out flaws, but the foundation is strong.

For the one who had problems with ad-hoc network, see if these links help:
How To Create Wireless Ad Hoc Internet Connection In Windows 8
Set up an adhoc network on Windows 8.

These are just the top two results. For more, please check this: *duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+create+ad-hoc+network+windows+8

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
This forum has a lot of whiners and eccentric users who refuse to adapt. Such people resist all kinds of changes and curse innovation. This is the bandwagon that laughed at and hated Apple when it launched iPhone and iPad, only to later become a member of the Android army. :p

Windows 8 is a step in the right direction. Sure, it is not perfect, but Microsoft was caught out by Apple's game-changing devices. It had to adapt to survive and I believe Windows 8, WP8 and Win RT are all going in the right direction. Soon, I expect Win RT to be default for Windows tablets, Win 8 for PCs/laptops and WP8 for phones. All will be strong market players in the near future, especially in India. They will take time to iron out flaws, but the foundation is strong.
Windows 8 is "primarily" a touch-centric OS, hence non-touch PC users are finding it hard to adapt. It's as simple as that. One has to have touch-enabled laptop or desktop to make good use of W8 but that is hardly possible unless prices are slashed significantly.

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
i only had some issues with ad hoc as i was not able to find it in network properties like in win7, but there's google for it. still don't know why they had made it so deep to find out but anyways i really don't understand what's hard to adapt in win 8. it is more intuitive, smoother and faster. you remember when we were kids we used to learn how computer or any device works with interest and elders find it difficult.. it's not really difficult or anything, we have that interest and enthusiasm to learn then and as we grow up we lose that interest. we just hate changes. If win 8 was your first OS, you'd definitely learn it with a positive mindset. i don't care if it is made for touch devices in mind or not, it is very usable for me with mouse and keyboard. not one thing that i find is annoying once you learn how it behaves.

please don't cite about everyone complaining.. tell me what you found annoying using it with mouse and keyboard. and for those who are saying even microsoft understood it's annoying and added start button, it's not the start menu... start button was always there at the bottom left corner. they are just adding a visible button at the corner which exactly behaves like clicking on the corner before it was added. seriously they haven't added anything AT ALL.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
please don't cite about everyone complaining.. tell me what you found annoying using it with mouse and keyboard. and for those who are saying even microsoft understood it's annoying and added start button, it's not the start menu... start button was always there at the bottom left corner. they are just adding a visible button at the corner which exactly behaves like clicking on the corner before it was added. seriously they haven't added anything AT ALL.

I have said exactly that about the Start Menu. Start Button is there in the current version , what I wrote is that one can get the old Start Menu by buying software from StarDock.
Microsoft is introducing some weird stuffs lately. Steven Sinofsky , the guy behind Microsoft Windows Operating System is no longer at Microsoft. They haven't cited the reason for it yet. Just after releasing Office 2013 , they released Office 365. And in Office 2013 retail, if you purchase the software then you are limited to only one computer. They realised their mistake and made changes: continued with traditional licensing which allows to install retail Office 2013 to two-three computers. And now there's migration to outlook.com. Though outlook.com is good in UI but it gives me a feeling to create another microsoft email account with outlook.com domain and dump my hotmail id (you can use your hotmail id in outlook.com). . Microsoft released Surface RT but it was so limited that they had to release something more and you have Surface Pro. This company is really struggling in my opinion. Lot of work to do for Microsoft ahead.

PS: Whenever I need SkyDrive, the website is down, Damn!

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
I have said exactly that about the Start Menu. Start Button is there in the current version , what I wrote is that one can get the old Start Menu by buying software from StarDock.
Microsoft is introducing some weird stuffs lately. Steven Sinofsky , the guy behind Microsoft Windows Operating System is no longer at Microsoft. They haven't cited the reason for it yet. Just after releasing Office 2013 , they released Office 365. And in Office 2013 retail, if you purchase the software then you are limited to only one computer. They realised their mistake and made changes: continued with traditional licensing which allows to install retail Office 2013 to two-three computers. And now there's migration to outlook.com. Though outlook.com is good in UI but it gives me a feeling to create another microsoft email account with outlook.com domain and dump my hotmail id (you can use your hotmail id in outlook.com). . Microsoft released Surface RT but it was so limited that they had to release something more and you have Surface Pro. This company is really struggling in my opinion. Lot of work to do for Microsoft ahead.

PS: Whenever I need SkyDrive, the website is down, Damn!

idk why 3rd party start menus or other microsoft products where bought up into the discussion on win 8 being annoying but my previous reply was not intended at you but at general win 8 haters who hate it just because it's cool to hate it.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
idk why 3rd party start menus or other microsoft products where bought up into the discussion on win 8 being annoying but my previous reply was not intended at you but at general win 8 haters who hate it just because it's cool to hate it.
3rd party start menus were brought up only to tell users that there's an option available to get Windows 8 look like 7. Other products were brought up to support the argument that its not only Windows with which Microsoft is struggling.
When there are genuine reasons for criticising and the company is acknowledging it then its little naive to keep praising it. I am not a windows 8 hater, I am only annoyed with some of its features. But as said earlier , its not only Windows that's irritating people in recent times.

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
When there are genuine reasons for criticising and the company is acknowledging it then its little naive to keep praising it. I am not a windows 8 hater, I am only annoyed with some of its features. But as said earlier , its not only Windows that's irritating people in recent times.

i was only talking about win 8. i've never used office 365 or other products you've mentioned. and this is a news for me, i never knew microsoft acknowledged of win 8 being bad. thanks.

and coming to being naive thing, it's a personal opinion of liking a product or not and i don't think that makes one naive. and i'm not a ms fanboy. i'd buy a droid device than a lumia, prefer ps or steam to xbox anyday.

all those who replied saying they had no issue of being annoyed with win 8 in the thread posted reasons supporting it and also posted shortcomings like ad hoc being hidden etc but i didn't see one reply from haters except Harsh pramani saying they were annoyed "because of this of win 8"

all the other replies were bland and substance less like "omg win 8 sucks", "see guys a top class website said it win 8 is bad" "microsoft wouldn't have added start button if people weren't annoyed" "it is made for touch, not for my desktop".. and my replies were intended at them not at you or someone who are being neutral. and again i'm only talking about win 8 and not microsoft's other products.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
i was only talking about win 8. i've never used office 365 or other products you've mentioned. and this is a news for me, i never knew microsoft acknowledged of win 8 being bad. thanks.

and coming to being naive thing, it's a personal opinion of liking a product or not and i don't think that makes one naive. and i'm not a ms fanboy. i'd buy a droid device than a lumia, prefer ps or steam to xbox anyday.

all those who replied saying they had no issue of being annoyed with win 8 in the thread posted reasons supporting it and also posted shortcomings like ad hoc being hidden etc but i didn't see one reply from haters except Harsh pramani saying they were annoyed "because of this of win 8"

all the other replies were bland and substance less like "omg win 8 sucks", "see guys a top class website said it win 8 is bad" "microsoft wouldn't have added start button if people weren't annoyed" "it is made for touch, not for my desktop".. and my replies were intended at them not at you or someone who are being neutral. and again i'm only talking about win 8 and not microsoft's other products.
Those are substance less? Now that's being naive :-D. And let me correct something: "it is made for touch, not for my desktop" should be "it is made for touch, not for non-touch computers"

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Those are substance less? Now that's being naive :-D. And let me correct something: "it is made for touch, not for my desktop" should be "it is made for touch, not for non-touch computers"

oh really. i would consider them substance less and a prolly a result of bandwagon effect. If they were annoyed with win 8 they would have posted what annoyed em rather than saying "xyz website said win 8 is bad"

i would like to quote Krow's reply. it may clear some air.

1. Microsoft is not going to give a damn about anyone whining and if you're hoping future versions of windows will take traditional win 7 route, you'll have to stick to win 7 forever.

2. stop posting bland replies like "xyz website said it is bad and hence it should be bad" instead tell what you found annoying with win 8. we can help you if it is a simple issue and future purchasers may see if it is deal breaker for em or not. I've been saying that since my first reply and the responses again are same. it makes me assume it's just the bandwagon effect.

3. when the desktop mode is exactly same as win 7 (and even better), i don't see a touch vs non-touch issue here. and the boot to desktop feature is welcomed.

4. the start screen is a boon if you know how to use it(non-touch user here). Once if you get the hang out of new interface it is more intuitive than win 7. it maybe difficult for those who can't adapt easily. there's a room for improvement though. anyways it depends on personal preference but i liked it. i now find win 7 start menu clunky and reminds me how hierarchical it was. WIN + X was a great addition to win 8.

let me tell you again, there are people who really didn't like win 8 and it is understandable. the problem here is the baseless whining i see on this forum. (anyways checking the replies i see they are outnumbered)

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Windows 8 forces you to adapt instead of being intuitive. You seem to think of TheVerge.com as something stupid.

1. Microsoft is not going to give a damn about anyone whining and if you're hoping future versions of windows will take traditional win 7 route, you'll have to stick to win 7 forever.

2. stop posting bland replies like "xyz website said it is bad and hence it should be bad" instead tell what you found annoying with win 8. we can help you if it is a simple issue and future purchasers may see if it is deal breaker for em or not. I've been saying that since my first reply and the responses again are same. it makes me assume it's just the bandwagon effect.

3. when the desktop mode is exactly same as win 7 (and even better), i don't see a touch vs non-touch issue here. and the boot to desktop feature is welcomed.

4. the start screen is a boon if you know how to use it(non-touch user here). Once if you get the hang out of new interface it is more intuitive than win 7. it maybe difficult for those who can't adapt easily. there's a room for improvement though. anyways it depends on personal preference but i liked it. i now find win 7 start menu clunky and reminds me how hierarchical it was. WIN + X was a great addition to win 8.

let me tell you again, there are people who really didn't like win 8 and it is understandable. the problem here is the baseless whining i see on this forum. (anyways checking the replies i see they are outnumbered)

Why do you think it's bad for someone to criticise Windows 8? Not getting the point, I can't help it.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I think the start screen on windows 8 is just fine. The start button isnt "gone", so to speak, but rather hidden.

When you take your pointer to the lower left corner of the screen, a "live" version of the start button (showing a shrunken start screen) is visible, clicking which takes you to the start screen.

And the start screen is really an upgrade to the start menu. The search is much better than previous iterations and it is much easier &faster to find your applications. The real issues with windows 8 gets hidden behind debates about these minor "annoyances". And those real issues are a lack of stability, polish, a poor app environment, and forced apps when traditional tools work much better (a.k.a. Control Panel, Services, Administrative Tools etc), not to mention a total lack of integration between the app environment and traditional software. More than anything, the lack of stability and polish makes windows 8 feel a rushed facelift of windows 7 (most of the icons are also identical to 7). I don't reprimand Microsoft for doing something new that actually works better, but for things that should work but don't.

Now I'm not saying that the traditional start button shouldn't have been there, or that the traditional start menu should not have been an option. Those options should have been available for those who want them, but that doesn't mean that the new UI is in anyway bad for a non-touch desktop/laptop environment.

Top Bottom