Microsoft hobbles XP mini-notes with 1GB RAM limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Microsoft makes Windows XP and owns the new licensing terms, isn't it? Blaming OEMs for netbook's terms and quality is fine. But why blame them for the terms of an operating system made by someone else?
OMG dude! Rationality! Did you check under the table?

If the hardware manufacturers don't want the limit, DON'T GIVE OEMs BUNDLED WITH XP! The hardware manufacturers agreed to the OEM terms, why? It is their lack of business management skills to agree to the terms, NOT MICROSOFT! Microsoft saw an oppurtutnity and made a clause, those guys agreed to it. IT IS THEIR STUPIDITY!

Here is my 8 annas:

As long as they provide a cheap and powerful linux version along with XP version that too one which is around Rs. 2000 - 3000 cheaper for the same configuration as XP, I have absolutely NO issues.

Or, they should provide linux versions with same price as XP version but something extra, like 4GB extra flash memory.

If they do something like above, I don't care what they do with that dead OS.

Edit: they really DO have an Rs. 4000 off on buying linux and ditching an extra 512mb ram. Not bad. I am impressed :D

Another Edit: they are giving 80GB HDD with XP note.

how is this useful at 600$ when for lesser price, I can get a 2GHz celeron notebook in India with same HDD, DVD Writer, etc ? :p

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Wow, I didn't expect so much response, as for those fools who keeps arguing that 1GB is enough simply have peanut sized brains and don't get the point that it's not about what you think is right or wrong, preventing a consumer from doing what he could do otherwise with anything else is a sign of a pathetic force feeding ideology by a company and it's not just MS, any company who does this is in the same category.

As for the MS fanboys here, I think we all now realize what kind of double standard talk they have.

Wow, I didn't expect so much response, as for those fools who keeps arguing that 1GB is enough simply have peanut sized brains and don't get the point that it's not about what you think is right or wrong, preventing a consumer from doing what he could do otherwise with anything else is a sign of a pathetic force feeding ideology by a company and it's not just MS, any company who does this is in the same category.

As for the MS fanboys here, I think we all now realize what kind of double standard talk they have.
I don't use Windows. You don't use Windows.
Then why the HELL should we care ?
Let windows users suffer at the hands of MS, but its not going to hurt us one bit. ;)

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
I don't use Windows. You don't use Windows.
Then why the HELL should we care ?
Let windows users suffer at the hands of MS, but its not going to hurt us one bit. ;)

I'm not talking from a linux standpoint of view or anything yaar.

I'm talking in the view of general consumer rights. Like Rahul Gandhi said, I'm not talking as a congressmen but as a youth of this nation. Although it's not going to affect us(congress party), it's still in the interest of our nation(technology world).

If such things continue, then it's going to affect us the same way windows live crap for games is affecting us today.

Hence, I'm saying this in the general consumer interest and not in favour of open source.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Yea.consumers are the one who are getting hit,both hardware manufacturers and M$ is still making truckloads of $$$.

and the morons who says 'don't buy if you don't like' please tell me whats the alternative left?

Monopolist market requires the company to have high transparency and high moral standards which M$ obviously lacks and M$ fanboys won't ever understand.

whats next in line?Hell Price the bloody XP 3x more than Vista and see who still buys it(I know what M$ fanbois will say 'Its M$'s bloody OS,they can price it whatever they damn well please'.Losers.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
OMG dude! Rationality! Did you check under the table?

If the hardware manufacturers don't want the limit, DON'T GIVE OEMs BUNDLED WITH XP! The hardware manufacturers agreed to the OEM terms, why? It is their lack of business management skills to agree to the terms, NOT MICROSOFT! Microsoft saw an oppurtutnity and made a clause, those guys agreed to it. IT IS THEIR STUPIDITY!
I've been following yours and chandru.in's posts and its clearly you who needs to lift the table and find something! Even a first time reader will understand what he's trying to say!

I'm neither taking his side nor yours, just suggesting you to read the posts again.

The greatest impact will be on a market like India, where we consumers haf little choice in portables.

I'm not talking from a linux standpoint of view or anything yaar.

I'm talking in the view of general consumer rights. Like Rahul Gandhi said, I'm not talking as a congressmen but as a youth of this nation. Although it's not going to affect us(congress party), it's still in the interest of our nation(technology world).

If such things continue, then it's going to affect us the same way windows live crap for games is affecting us today.

Hence, I'm saying this in the general consumer interest and not in favour of open source.
Consumer Rights ? You talk about rights when the very time you buy some product with such a license you end up giving up all your rights.

Till now, MS has been pursuing practices which abuse their monopoly. But do you honestly think that this can continue for a long time to come ? Look at the way US can no longer assume its living in its own uni-polar world. Similarly, MS can't hold monopoly for a long time. The world is changing. For the good. Apple is getting looked into more and more by corporates, while Linux is getting looked into by personal/power users. Companies like ATI, AMD, nVidia, etc which were formerly exclusively MS oriented are shifting their focus to other platforms so that they can gain trust of overall market.

Take a better look at the mini-note market today. Unlike the Xbox live, which affected several gamers, the mini-note case is a bit different.

The original idea was to push in 200$ subnotebooks for the masses, which later went up to 400$ and now we are staring at 600$ subnotebooks, which definitely don't make sense for these money concious people when there already exist 500$ full blown notebooks. In the current avatar, these 600$ "netbooks" powered by the so-called "low cost" Atom processor are becomming nothing more than lifestyle gadgets just like the already existing tablet PCs, PDAs, etc. I seriously doubt this would impact the original market the products were intended for. And once you get to this range, full blown notebooks at the same cost suddenly become vista capable. Hence XP makes no sense at all.

Finally, what I am trying to say is this: MS has being doing lots of evil. But neither is their evil expected to continue for a long time nor will this particular event affect as many people as expected by many here. This particular action of MS can be seen as a last ditch attempt to avoid pirated windows xp copies continuing to exist in the future, cut the market share of linux and at the same time, ensure that vista still sells. This showcases the pathetic dying monopoly MS is in the process of becomming.

I too am not pro OSS here, I am just talking realistic.

This action should be condemned and boycotted, but at the same time, breathe easier than usual since this time MS didn't hurt us that badly.
Yea.consumers are the one who are getting hit,both hardware manufacturers and M$ is still making truckloads of $$$.
Thats true, but its still the duty of every customer to ensure that such practices are not allowed to continue. For this, boycotting is the only solution. :|
and the morons who says 'don't buy if you don't like' please tell me whats the alternative left?
Er... Linux ? Isn't Acer also producing a 100$ cheaper and SSD enabled linux version ? :p
And you can also buy full blown notebooks at the same price.
Monopolist market requires the company to have high transparency and high moral standards which M$ obviously lacks and M$ fanboys won't ever understand.
+1. No arguement there.
whats next in line?Hell Price the bloody XP 3x more than Vista and see who still buys it(I know what M$ fanbois will say 'Its M$'s bloody OS,they can price it whatever they damn well please'.Losers.
+1 again
I've been following yours and chandru.in's posts and its clearly you who needs to lift the table and find something! Even a first time reader will understand what he's trying to say!

I'm neither taking his side nor yours, just suggesting you to read the posts again.
Exactly. I think iMav is being slightly hypocritic here. First, he and GX bashed apple for doing a similar thing with iPhone store. Now, when MS does the same, they say "it doesn't matter" ?
infra_red_dude said:
The greatest impact will be on a market like India, where we consumers haf little choice in portables.
Still, that doesn't stop us from looking ahead for a better future, hopefully without such egoistic monopolistic companies. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
My god, I did not know my reply will hurt Cyrus, gautam & devil so much that they r bashing MS like Balmar took away thr GF.

Right now in Metro so either U guys stop arguing & wasting time or wait for my reply tomorrow.

My god, I did not know my reply will hurt Cyrus, gautam & devil so much that they r bashing MS like Balmar took away thr GF.

Right now in Metro so either U guys stop arguing & wasting time or wait for my reply tomorrow.
I never even saw your reply :p

And I am hardly bashing MS this time. All I am doing is pointing out bare facts about how people can be affected by monopoly and how people can avoid it.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^OMG,do you really think I read your posts? thats a mega *LOL*.And Ballmer is the second most lucky SOB this world ever saw,first being Bush jr.

OMG,I just thought up a perfect analogy to this situation,too bad Its 18+,else would have shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom