Microsoft hobbles XP mini-notes with 1GB RAM limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandru.in

In the zone
Dude! There is something called as rationality, look around you might find it under the table! Microsoft does not make the laptop they provide the software to make those otherwise pieces of junk to work. It is their product they have the right to negotiate possible options to improve their business and such moves are part of those, if Dell or HP or netbook do not like it, go use something else. Why blame Microsoft? And who would blame AT&T or Vodafone for App store terms :confused: Are you high or something?

I never blamed AT&T. I just pointed out your double stand. Just as appstore is Apple's term, this RAM limit is Microsoft's term. Just as AT&T sells iPhone with AppStore, OEMs sell Windows XP with this restriction. If the OEM's warranty terms are restrictive, they are to be blamed. Why blame them for MS's terms? Anyway no point in trying to point out reality to a closed mind. So I'll stop with this.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I just pointed out your double stand.
Please point to me any post, not only on this forum, anywhere on any forum, any blog where I have 'blamed' Vodafone or AT&T for any App store terms & conditions. Failure to do so, I want you to edit your post where you speak of my alleged double standards.

chandru.in

In the zone
Please point to me any post, not only on this forum, anywhere on any forum, any blog where I have 'blamed' Vodafone or AT&T for any App store terms & conditions. Failure to do so, I want you to edit your post where you speak of my alleged double standards.

OMG that's exactly what I said. You did not blame Vodafone & AT&T for Appstore but you are blaming OEMs for the new XP terms. Is that not what is called double stand? :shock:

As I said I'm not interested in arguing more. Just replied to defend myself from the blame leveled against me.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
:lol: Again rationality dude. Vodafone & OEMs are abso-friggin-lutely 2 different things ;) There is no comparison between the 2 what-so-ever. Vodafone took the contract to distribute the Apple iPhone, the terms and conditions of the contract say that they have no say in what Apple does when it comes to App store. But, here my dear friend the manufacturers of netbook agreed to the terms and conditions set by Mircosoft, it is their fault for agreeing.

Apple makes iPhone & owns the app store, therefore they will be blamed. Netbook manufacturers make the notebooks therefore they will be blamed. Manufacturers is the keyword.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
You guys are not getting what MS is doing here. They have phased out Windows XP to standardize Vista. There are certain PCs like netbooks that do not meet the requirements for vista. Only for such PCs, MS is licensing XP. To prevent exploitation of this licensing, MS has capped the specs of these UMPCs. If they exceed these specs they will have to install vista. I have a system with 2 GB RAM and XP SP3. My RAM usage never exceeds 800MB unless I am running virtual machines or high end games. Noone will do that on netbooks, so that should not be a problem. If you want to do high RAM requiring work on netbook, get a vista netbook.
stop fighting...
peace!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
They have phased out Windows XP to standardize Vista. There are certain PCs like netbooks that do not meet the requirements for vista. Only for such PCs, MS is licensing XP. To prevent exploitation of this licensing, MS has capped the specs of these UMPCs.
Bang on target! Finally. I hope the people who are comparing Vodafone & AT&T and OEMS and what not be in peace.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Bottom line is, MS is doing everything it can under the sun to save/promote/force Vista.. be it in the form of DirectX, Xbox Live, Mini-notes or whatever.

Vista was a failure (I'm sure there would be very very few who'd NOT agree to this), Windows 7 isn't ready... With Vista around, they can't extend XP's life which would acknowledge Vista's shortcomings. MS is in a fix...

No point arguing about all this :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
You guys are not getting what MS is doing here. They have phased out Windows XP to standardize Vista. There are certain PCs like netbooks that do not meet the requirements for vista. Only for such PCs, MS is licensing XP. To prevent exploitation of this licensing, MS has capped the specs of these UMPCs. If they exceed these specs they will have to install vista. I have a system with 2 GB RAM and XP SP3. My RAM usage never exceeds 800MB unless I am running virtual machines or high end games. Noone will do that on netbooks, so that should not be a problem. If you want to do high RAM requiring work on netbook, get a vista netbook.
stop fighting...
peace!
wth ! My bro works on Eclipse and that too three instances running at one time. Takes more than 1GB:rolleyes:
Oracle database so alag.

And it all works on XP, why should he buy VISTA for that :rolleyes:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
stop fighting...
peace!

Acer Mini-Note XP specs:

• 8.9-inch 1024 x 600 LED-backlit display
  • 1.6GHz Atom N270
  • 512MB DDR2 SDRAM (expandable)
  • 1.3 megapixel camera, SDHC and multi-format media readers
  • 802.11b/g, Ethernet, three USB 2.0, VGA, and 3.5mm audio out
  • One free mini PCI slot for WWAN
  • 80GB hard drive (with XP) or 8GB solid state (with Linux)
  • 2.5 or 5 hours on 3 or 6-cell batteries in XP model, 3 or 7 hours on Linux
  • 1kg (2.2 pounds)
Specs for HP Mini-Note

• 1.19 kg
  • 8.9 inch wide XGA display 1280×768
  • Close to full size keyboard
  • 3D DriveGuard with accelerometer for parking the hard drive when the computer falls
  • Webcam
  • Two battery solutions: 3 cell for ultralightweight config // 6 cell for extended battery life
  • 802.11g WLAN
  • Bluetooth
  • Option for Windows Vista Basic, Windows Vista Business or Linux Preinstalled
  • Scratch resistant screen
  • Hp DuraKeys
  • Via 1.0GHz Processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 120GB Hard Drive

Need I say anything? So before posting anything, try to gather some facts.

XP uses about 900MB of RAM, Linux uses 700MB of RAM, Mac OS X 10.5 about 750MB (all upper end figures) unless something very very heavy work is going on.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
^
oh yeah i forgot to mention. I disable most of the startup services and use very light antivirus. That should remove that 100 mb from 900 mb. I am a gamer. So I make those tweaks and I automatically make those tweaks with any machine.
900 MB is less than 1GB. Whats you point anyways?

wth ! My bro works on Eclipse and that too three instances running at one time. Takes more than 1GB:rolleyes:
Oracle database so alag.

And it all works on XP, why should he buy VISTA for that :rolleyes:

Dude I agree with you. I desperately tried to get a XP between Jun 24th and June 30th but I failed as Dell had stopped selling OEM licenses. Vista is being forced on us. Your post has nothing to do with my post. I am talking about the 1gb limit on xp netbooks.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^
oh yeah i forgot to mention. I disable most of the startup services and use very light antivirus. That should remove that 100 mb from 900 mb. I am a gamer. So I make those tweaks and I automatically make those tweaks with any machine.
900 MB is less than 1GB. Whats you point anyways?
My point is that Vista notebook is NO powerful than the XP one.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Bad on both.

Manufacturer's forcing Microsoft to ship Win XP
Microsoft forcing manufacturers to limit the amount of RAM.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
My point is that Vista notebook is NO powerful than the XP one.

1gb is transition point. At some point the specs need to meet. You can't have no OS for a certain config. I would buy a CTO with vista instead of a normal netbook. Waiting for HP Pavilion tx2500z to arrive in India.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
I dont know if 1gb can run vista comfortably or not because it depends on usage. All I know is that vista takes around 550mb with no applications open. Even If I open opera with 6 tabs and wmp11 simultaneously it will not exceed 1gb. I also have noticed that vista is slow even if there is free RAM. I think RAM is not the only issue for vista. Dont expect 3GB RAM to make Vista run smooth. Vista was sluggish on my desktop with 600gt and 2gb ram even after defragmenting and tweaking. But, then on my laptop vista was running very smooth on 1GB. Vista is very unpredictable and should avoided if no reviews exist for such configs.

threeonethree

Journeyman
To hell with Micro$oft. i hope this "business" decision backfires big time and other better operating systems succeed in this market. But knowing how ignorant the masses are, microsoft is surely going to win even if they limit the RAM to 512 MB.

yesterday i saw a child labour in my college and somebodys quote came to my mind. "Its a microsoft world" ...

Be free.

chandru.in

In the zone
Apple makes iPhone & owns the app store, therefore they will be blamed.
Microsoft makes Windows XP and owns the new licensing terms, isn't it? Blaming OEMs for netbook's terms and quality is fine. But why blame them for the terms of an operating system made by someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom