Microsoft gives up trying and starts blatantly copying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gx_saurav said:
Windows Media Player Win32 codecs can be used in Linux too.....with any player in Linux. But Quicktime technologoy cannot be used in linux at all. Atleast MS is a bit open in this regard

Zune market place for linux....well, it's just relesed 4 months ago. If they find a market they will release it. By the way, i never said anything about Itunes music store in linux, did I?

WMV9 DRMed codecs can be used in Linux? Whom are you fooling?

Also, can you link me to these Windows Media codecs which play in Linux? I'll install them on Slack right away.

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
aryayush said:
I read the excerpts from the GPL in Fast Track to Open Source and it was clearly stated that you can modify the freely available source code and sell it at a premium.

I don't want to join in the (extremely boring) fight between you two losers, but please read the GPL... just for fun. I assure you that it is a very interesting read.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@gx_saurav, Oh, so we should only talk about the point you mention, should we?

Apple does not see a large target market and therefore, iPod, iTunes and QuickTime are not compatible with Linux.

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
WebKit's HTML and JavaScript code began as a branch of the KHTML and KJS libraries from KDE.
You just want to prove that Apple copied something from KDE? :confused: How is webkit helping the parent Open Source projects like KDE again? Till Konqueror 3.5.6 there are nil patches from Apple in the parent tree. Go and grep Konqueror source if you don't believe me. Webkit is just an attempt by Apple to get development done by OSS developers and then put it in their own browser...just like the way the have always done. I don't see how it is helping parent OSS organizations. May be you could enlighten me?
As a thank you, we are giving MacBook Pro computers to twelve of our top contributors. We’ve also invited five of them to attend Apple’s Worldwide Developer’s Conference 2006 “on Apple’s dime”.
Giving Mac Book pros to people who develop for them is helping companies like BSD, KDE, CUPS? How?
Do you want me to point-and-laugh at you? mklinux was started in 1998, is in its R1 and has no releases since 2000!!! (They just tweaked their CD image in 2005.) Do I need to say more about their contribution to Open Source?
THe KHTML engine would have been so popular if it hadn't been for Apple.
Yes Konqueror exists because it was made popular on Apple platforms. You have excellent logic...suited for a Mac fanboy.
Also, from next time, I would appreciate if you take names, and not make vague references.
If I did that...you'll be the first one running to your admin friends saying that you have been "personally commented" on and the rest as they will be history :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Here's something you'll need to read first before arguing
BSD License - *www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
GPL License - *www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php
Many softwares, including the kernel, is under BSD License. And open source doesn't end at GPL.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
mail2and said:
WMV9 DRMed codecs can be used in Linux? Whom are you fooling?

Also, can you link me to these Windows Media codecs which play in Linux? I'll install them on Slack right away.

Well packman repositories have codecs for a few popular distros which enable Linux to play win32 codecs.

The link - *mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/packman/

Don't know about Slackware though.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
Webkit is just an attempt by Apple to get development done by OSS developers and then put it in their own browser...just like the way the have always done. I don't see how it is helping parent OSS organizations. May be you could enlighten me?

They have helped OSS developers get a browser on Symbian 9.1, the OS that runs on the new Nokia smartphones. Mass acceptability of his/her software is one of the dreams of every OSS developer, isn't it? Atleast, Apple does not go out and threaten to sue Linux for 'infringing on patents' like our very good friends in Redmond, Washington do.

Do you want me to point-and-laugh at you? mklinux was started in 1998, is in its R1 and has no releases since 2000!!! (They just tweaked their CD image in 2005.) Do I need to say more about their contribution to Open Source?

You asked me for a single contribution. I gave it to you. Whether you want to laugh at me, or you want to cry, is entirely upto you.

Yes Konqueror exists because it was made popular on Apple platforms. You have excellent logic...suited for a Mac fanboy.

Typical Mac hater response. I talked about the KHTML engine, and not Konqueror. Yes, it has been made popular by Apple's efforts Why you may ask? Because, the hundreds of millions of Symbian 9.1 phones that Nokia will sell will have Webkit installed on them. There will be millions and millions of executives, students, housewives etc accessing internet on a browser, based on the KHTML engine.

I couldn't have imagined the KHTML engine getting so popular on its own.

Finally, here is what digitadmin had to say about you. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=337172#post337172

I am disappointed in the way Eddie behaved: you seem very intelligent, yet stoop to trying your best to irritate people to win arguments, instead of just stating facts.

People like Eddie are usually quite adept at pissing others off. They thrive on that sort of thing.

Enough said.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
win32codecs are long available for Linux,though the legal stand is not clear.
*www.usinglinux.org/multimedia/win32-codecs.html

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Aberforth said:
Well packman repositories have codecs for a few popular distros which enable Linux to play win32 codecs.

The link - *mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/packman/

Don't know about Slackware though.

Thanks for the links

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
They have helped OSS developers get a browser on Symbian 9.1, the OS that runs on the new Nokia smartphones. Mass acceptability of his/her software is one of the dreams of every OSS developer, isn't it?
Ermm...and that helps BSD, KDE and CUPS how? :confused: Apple's dream is not to help anyone but to get finished code that they can include in their browser for FREE! That is it. No OpenSource dreams.
Atleast, Apple does not go out and threaten to sue Linux for 'infringing on patents' like our very good friends in Redmond, Washington do.
...and your point is?
You asked me for a single contribution. I gave it to you. Whether you want to laugh at me, or you want to cry, is entirely upto you.
Yes and that was a contribution..How? It helped which product become better or even worth using?
Typical Mac hater response. I talked about the KHTML engine, and not Konqueror. Yes, it has been made popular by Apple's efforts Why you may ask? Because, the hundreds of millions of Symbian 9.1 phones that Nokia will sell will have Webkit installed on them. I couldn't have imagined Konqueror getting so popular on its own.
KHTML engine was MADE FOR Konqueror. Apple just copied it down...not for the betterment of the parent browser but for their own. They are not helping any parent Open Source project but themselves. Konqueror was, is and will do fine without Apple but that doesn't change the fact that Apple are pathetic leeches and their users are sorry whiners who crib about little icons :)
Finally, here is what digitadmin had to say about you. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=337172#post337172
Enough said.
Didn't I already talk about you and your admin friends? :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
Ermm...and that helps BSD, KDE and CUPS how? :confused:
I never talked about BSD or CUPS! You seem to live in a idealistic world, in which everyone is perfectly honest. The real world is not like that. We're talking about huge multinationals, whose only aim is to extract the last penny from you. It's true in the case of Apple, Microsoft and all other companies, especially American ones, which are truly capitalistic in nature.

KHTML engine was MADE FOR Konqueror. Apple just copied it down...not for the betterment of the parent browser but for their own. They are not helping any parent Open Source project but themselves. Konqueror was, is and will do fine without Apple but that doesn't change the fact that Apple are pathetic leeches and their users are sorry whiners who crib about little icons :)

I'll ignore your little pick on Apple here. Yes, Apple based its browser on Konqueror. They never helped Konqueror. But, they helped the development of Webkit on S60. Thanks for ignoring that part of my post.

It's sad that you associate people's personality with the computer they use. I don't see how Linux users are superior to Windows users or how Windows users are superior to Linux or Mac users or how Mac users are superior to the users of any other god damned Operating system!

I'm a student, who uses a Macintosh. What's so wrong about it? What's so special about using Linux?

Hell, I dual boot Slackintosh and OS X. I find both good.

The whiner in this case is evident.
Didn't I already talk about you and your admin friends? :)

Yes, you did. But, that doesn't change facts, does it? You conveniently ignored facts in this very thread.

Self introspection is not such a bad term. Read more about it.

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
I never talked about BSD or CUPS! You seem to live in a idealistic world, in which everyone is perfectly honest. The real world is not like that. We're talking about huge multinationals, whose only aim is to extract the last penny from you. It's true in the case of Apple, Microsoft and all other companies, especially American ones, which are truly capitalistic in nature.
Teach this "world is not ideal" theory to the thread starter & yourself, rather than me. You and the thread starter are the only ones who are always creating noise about how Microsoft "copied" something from Apple. If you really believe that people are not honest then why even bother starting threads that go against your own belief? As far as I am concerned, I didn't even care replying to this thread two months ago, when it was started, as it has become a habit of Mac users in here to create an issue about everything that has the word "Mac" in it but I just couldn't resist on this icon thing.
I'll ignore your little pick on Apple here. Yes, Apple based its browser on Konqueror. They never helped Konqueror. But, they helped the development of Webkit on S60. Thanks for ignoring that part of my post.
The point of this thread is "copying" and you are the only one who is ignoring the very essence of the thread.
It's sad that you associate people's personality with the computer they use. I don't see how Linux users are superior to Windows users or how Windows users are superior to Linux or Mac users or how Mac users are superior to the users of any other god damned Operating system!
I don't associate people's personality with the OS they use but I do associate their behaviour with their personalities and the way Mac users behave on the forum...I will not be alone on this. If you want to establish that fact...go on...create a poll and ask what people in here feel about Mac users and their behaviour. Do include an option that says "whiners" and see the results with your own eyes :)
I'm a student, who uses a Macintosh. What's so wrong about it? What's so special about using Linux?
Nothing! ...and I have not even talked about these things in any of my posts but clearly you miss the point of this thread. I would recommend reading it from start...this time, slowly :)
The whiner in this case is evident.
To everyone my friend...to everyone :)
Yes, you did. But, that doesn't change facts, does it? You conveniently ignored facts in this very thread.
That is a funny comment from someone who ignored the very essence of the thread :)
Self introspection is not such a bad term. Read more about it.
I am sure you will need the sources of that reading after "the poll"? If you want, I can pass you some internet links for it :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
Teach this "world is not ideal" theory to the thread starter & yourself, rather than me. You and the thread starter are the only ones who are always creating noise about how Microsoft "copied" something from Apple.

Can you PLEASE link to my post in this thread where i said that Microsoft copied Apple? Can you show me posts where I created 'noise' about Microsoft copying Apple?

As for my stance on the issue, I think it's just a silly error by a over-enthusiastic graphics guy. It's not some one copying some one else, it's just an error, which was pointed out by a couple of tech blogs in a humourous way.

I would request you to reply to this post.

PLEASE!

I only replied to to your post to mention what I thought of Apple's contribution to OSS . You are the one who assumed that I feel some one copied some one. Software companies are known to copy each other. What's new in that?

I don't associate people's personality with the OS they use but I do associate their behaviour with their personalities and the way Mac users behave on the forum...I will not be alone on this. If you want to establish that fact...go on...create a poll and ask what people in here feel about Mac users and their behaviour.

Yes, please do check my previous posts on this forum. This will clear your 'behaviour' point.

I am sure you will need the sources of that reading after "the poll"? If you want, I can pass you some internet links for it :)

I am a person who always tries to correct what is wrong with me. That is why, perhaps, I have reached a stage in life where I am assured of my future. This is coming from a person, who has had a very ordinary primary education.

Self introspection is very very useful. Trust me.

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
Can you show me posts where I created 'noise' about Microsoft copying Apple?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=323474&postcount=25
Aren't you the one talking about technology available in Apple's OS before Windows and MS taking it?
I only replied to to your post to mention what I thought of Apple's contribution to OSS.
Yeah...my stomach still hurts from laughing after your mention of mklinux.
You are the one who assumed that I feel some one copied some one. Software companies are known to copy each other. What's new in that?
You bothered to reply to a particular post in a thread but did not want to post your thoughts about the original thread itself? If nothing is new in copying business...I did not see you correcting the original thread starter. Why?
Yes, please do check my previous posts on this forum. This will clear your 'behaviour' point.
I have seen your and other macboys' posts for long and the point was made only after reading them.
I am a person who always tries to correct what is wrong with me. That is why, perhaps, I have reached a stage in life where I am assured of my future. This is coming from a person, who has had a very ordinary primary education.
Don't reach too near a pin sometime. You might prick your overinflated ego leaving you completely flat :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=323474&postcount=25
Aren't you the one talking about technology available in Apple's OS before Windows and MS taking it?

You actually bothered to read through my posts to find that? Woah!

Did you bother to read the post of the guy to whom I made that statement? I simply said Spotlight was released in a commercial OS 1.5 years before it did on another commerical OS. It was the other poster, who in fact, said the technology was developed by Microsoft first.

Good try, but you've got to be better.

Yeah...my stomach still hurts from laughing after your mention of mklinux.

Good for you.

You bothered to reply to a particular post in a thread but did not want to post your thoughts about the original thread itself? If nothing is new in copying business...I did not see you correcting the original thread starter. Why?

I never knew it was my responsibility to correct people's views. I merely commented on a post by another person. Why should I correct the person?

I have seen your and other macboys' posts for long and the point was made only after reading them.

Yes, please do point out my posts, where I have posted anything other than facts. What do these 'others' have got to do with me?

Don't reach too near a pin sometime. You might prick your overinflated ego leaving you completely flat :)

I have an ego? LOL! I always try to learn and correct myself.

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
Did you bother to read the post of the guy to whom I made that statement? I simply said Spotlight was released in a commercial OS 1.5 years before it did on another commerical OS. It was the other poster, who in fact, said the technology was developed by Microsoft first.
...and you were the one who said that they copied it. That makes you any different then him?
I never knew it was my responsibility to correct people's views. I merely commented on a post by another person. Why should I correct the person?
You comment to reach at some point or you keep passing comments without any reason or goal? I see you correcting someone in that other thread I linked to. What was the roadblock in your way in this thread?
Yes, please do point out my posts. What do these 'others' have got to do with me?
I wish I had that much time and those "others" are associated very dearly with you in a famous group known as "Macboys" :)
I have an ego? LOL! I always try to learn and correct myself.
You wish :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
...and you were the one who said that they copied it. That makes you any different then him?

Read the post more carefully. Can you point one instance where I said they copied it. I only asked him that if it was in development much before then why wasn't it a part of a commercial OS?

please stop trying to prove you're right.

You comment to reach at some point or you keep passing comments without any reason or goal? I see you correcting someone in that other thread I linked to. What was the roadblock in your way in this thread?
Why should I tell you, of all people, why I did not intend to post in a thrad?

I wish I had that much time and those "others" are associated very dearly with you in a famous group known as "Macboys" :)
Lol. Talk about name calling and prejudice. I countered all your points about me saying something about copying, and you came up with that? Very very nice. please find another reason.

You say you don't have time, and yet you had the time to find out a post of mine where I talked about Spotlight? Now go find another post where I said something about another platform.

Talk about inconsistencies in a person's statements.

eddie

El mooooo
mail2and said:
Read the post more carefully. Can you point one instance where I said they copied it. I only asked him that if it was in development much before then why wasn't it a part of a commercial OS?
lol. So we are talking about the particular word "copy" or the essense?
Why should I tell you, of all people, why I did not intend to post in a thrad?
Because in the same thread, you posted about a particular discussion ignoring the main point of the thread. If you don't want to defend that behaviour than it clearly shows were your loyalty lies and what were your underlying motives behind posting those comments. Before you ask...I am saying that you wanted to defend Apple's case in here rather than talking about original topic.
Lol. Talk about name calling and prejudice. I countered all your points about me saying something about copying, and you came up with that? Very very nice. please find another reason.
Its not me alone but a general feeling about your group. Time for that poll may be? Oh and I have to find reason of what?
You say you don't have time, and yet you had the time to find out a post of mine where I talked about Spotlight?
Talk about inconsistencies in a person's statements.
Because I was one of the major persons debating in that thread, its obvious that I remembered it but I can't keep track of all your posts...can I? But reading them and making an image of someone's behaviour is quite possible. If you find that as inconsistent statements then you really need to be more receptive and analytical to visual feedbacks :)

Aberforth

The Internationalist
praka123 said:

The codecs are perfectly legal in India and Europe as DMCA which regulates DRM does not apply except US and a few allies. Microsoft would try to make you believe they are illegal and unethical but remember they're talking about themselves and US and what they say is not necessarily in our interests. Check Indian laws instead :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom