Microsoft gives up trying and starts blatantly copying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
aryayush said:
BTW, that globe icon is also a straightaway rip-off of this icon of the OmniWeb browser:

*img151.imageshack.us/img151/2826/omniwebma4.png

Now the globe is also copyrighted?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I knew someone would say this. Look at the two images. They have exactly the same angle of the globe with the light falling from the same point on it and forming the same reflection.

@eddie, I don't know much about this but Darwin is an open source operating system developed by Apple. That is their contribution to the community.
And Apple has never copied icons from other companies. Copying such trivial things such as icons by high profile companies like Microsoft is shameful IMHO. It is not about how little a thing it is, it is about what this conveys about Microsoft's mentality.

Nowadays, gx_saurav's sole job seems to be telling others about 'macboys' and nothing more.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
eddie said:
As I have said earlier, Mac camp should be the last one in this world to talk about copying. An OS that is built by "blatantly copying" Open source code and gives back nothing should not even talk about such things. First people should look at themselves and then point finger at others. This is just an icon...if you hold the copyright...go ahead...sue them. If you can't do that, then just keep silent :)

well said :)

arya said:
I don't know much about this but Darwin is an open source operating system developed by Apple. That is their contribution to the community.

Open Source :confused: last i saw apple clsoed the source of the darwin core...if it was given to the community, then we would be having Mac on any X86 PC out there....get your facts right

Nowadays, gx_saurav's sole job seems to be telling others about 'macboys' and nothing more

Yup :D, informing them so that they don't take macboys seriously, say something & get banned. Whats the problem in telling someone to be cautious of macboys, it's not like macboys don't whine :eek:

Last edited:

freebird

Debian Rocks!
I can see that they are offering darwin d/ls for both ppc and intel on their site @
*www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/
but i know they shutdown this project..
On July 25, 2006, the OpenDarwin team announced that the project was shutting down, as they felt OpenDarwin had "become a mere hosting facility for Mac OS X related projects," and that the efforts to create a stand-alone Darwin OS had failed. They also state: "Availability of sources, interaction with Apple representatives, difficulty building and tracking sources, and a lack of interest from the community have all contributed to this."
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDarwin
I doubt what they return to open source commty after grabbing a lot from FreeBSD and more.
"Yahoo has a story about how Apple is using non-GPL'd open source software, making proprietary extensions, and giving nothing back to the community. 'Apple simply found a source of cheap high-quality systems software that it could make its own without needing to give back so much as a bug fix, let alone useful software projects.' Good stuff."
*slashdot.org/apple/01/05/02/222239.shtml
Apple has taken plenty and given nothing back, exactly as it's entitled. Beyond that, we read that Apple's behavior may even be hurting the Open Source community at large.
*www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-05-02-012-20-OP-BD

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
aryayush said:
@eddie, I don't know much about this but Darwin is an open source operating system developed by Apple. That is their contribution to the community.
Don't be too happy about Darwin. It is not Apple's "contribution" rather it is their compulsion. They have to open the code they use from OSS and that is what you see in Darwin. You show me Apple submitting patches or the changes they make to code of Konqueror, BSD or million other things and I will accept that they contribute to Open Source.
And Apple has never copied icons from other companies. Copying such trivial things such as icons by high profile companies like Microsoft is shameful IMHO. It is not about how little a thing it is, it is about what this conveys about Microsoft's mentality.
So you are telling me that it is ok for Apple to copy code which is not "trivial" while it is not ok for Microsoft to copy Apple's icon...even though it is trivial? So copying OS back bones is fine while trivial things is bad? What kind of logic is that? :confused:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
AFAIK, the GPL allows you to use the source code anyway you want. So, if Apple uses it, what are they doing wrong?

eddie

El mooooo
aryayush said:
AFAIK, the GPL allows you to use the source code anyway you want. So, if Apple uses it, what are they doing wrong?
Sometime back I replied to a similar comment from one of your buddies with this statement...
It is as simple as taking fruits from a tree in a free land. Taking fruits from a tree is not illegal and they are free as well, but the ethical thing to do is to give something back to the tree. You water the tree or give some fertilizers now and then. That is all the tree wants...if you can't do that...the tree will not sue you but you are still a pathetic leech man...
In any case, if you yourself are copying...don't crib about others doing the same to you. If you have some rights over the stuff that others copied from you...go ahead and sue them but don't cry about it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
arya said:
Social worker extraordinaire is here to save the day. Drum roll please!

Thank u, thank u :D, :flying kisses.....i love u all fans :D

aryayush said:
Sometimes I pity on your knowledge Arya, I m no Linux guru, but I know one thing. GPL means contributing to the source code freely available, if you are taking it...modifying it, & using it, then according to the GPL you are supposed to give it back to the community & make it freely available.

m i right eddie?

So far, what do we see.....well, Apple giving nothing back to open source community. Not even the Quicktime Engine, that alone can solve 80% of the Linux Multimedia problems...but hey, like i said, it's ok if Apple copies

Last edited:

rajasekharan

Youngling
yeah if apple can give quicktime it will solve a lot of problem in Linux :). but hey i want photoshop first . WHEN is that coming ???. please dont talk about gimp it does not match photoshop . sorry for being off topic . but i feel a lot of people trying to destroy Linux :-(

freebird

Debian Rocks!
APPLE giving out quicktime to GNU ppl?never in next 50 yrs..@least.
@gxsaurav:it seems Windows Live spaces contains lot of anti-M$ things...:D why no one from microsoft hearing?
example link:
*use-linux.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?_c02_owner=1

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
freebird said:
APPLE giving out quicktime to GNU ppl?never in next 50 yrs..@least.
@gxsaurav:it seems Windows Live spaces contains lot of anti-M$ things...:D why no one from microsoft hearing?
example link:
*use-linux.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?_c02_owner=1
Well....said

About Windows Live spaces.....welll it's a blog man, anyone can write what they want. Even Anti-MS things

by the way, do leave feedback on the blog if u like it

borg

In the zone
hmmm. No matter what anyone might say, copying such trivial things such as icons is shameful to say the least. This is not good.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Sometimes I pity on your knowledge Arya, I m no Linux guru, but I know one thing. GPL means contributing to the source code freely available, if you are taking it...modifying it, & using it, then according to the GPL you are supposed to give it back to the community & make it freely available.
I read the excerpts from the GPL in Fast Track to Open Source and it was clearly stated that you can modify the freely available source code and sell it at a premium. Please learn to STFU when you do not have adequate knowledge of a subject!

eddie, why do you keep saying that Apple should stop doing this and that. It is not Apple but people like me and others who post on blogs who've noted Microsoft copying these icons. Apple is not crying foul about it.

And why would Apple ever release essential core components like the QuickTime Engine to the public! :eek: They are not a non-profit organisation out there to do some charity. How can you even expect Apple to help the competition? That is just plain ridiculous.

And taking something from the open source community is not copying. If the developer did not want it to be implemented elsewhere, he should not have opened the source in the first place.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
eddie said:
. You show me Apple submitting patches or the changes they make to code of Konqueror, BSD or million other things and I will accept that they contribute to Open Source.

Webkit
www.webkit.org

Welcome to the website for the WebKit Open Source Project!
WebKit is an open source web browser engine. WebKit is also the name of the Mac OS X system framework version of the engine that's used by Safari, Dashboard, Mail, and many other OS X applications. WebKit's HTML and JavaScript code began as a branch of the KHTML and KJS libraries from KDE. This website is also the home of S60's S60 WebKit development.

*webkit.org/blog/?p=44

As a thank you, we are giving MacBook Pro computers to twelve of our top contributors. We’ve also invited five of them to attend Apple’s Worldwide Developer’s Conference 2006 “on Apple’s dime”.

MKLinux project
www.mklinux.org

MkLinux is a project begun by the OSF Research Institute (now Silicomp RI) and Apple Computer to port Linux, a freely distributed UNIX-like operating system, to a variety of Power Macintosh platforms running on top of OSF Research Institute's implementation of the Mach microkernel.

Webkit has been ported to Symbian 3rd edition, as well. It's the default browser on Nokia Symbian 9.1 phones. THe KHTML engine would have been so popular if it hadn't been for Apple. They actively maintain the Webkit project, and even helped in porting webkit to the S60 platform, despite it being a competitor to their upcoming phone.

To cut it short, the browser on the iPhone and S60 are almost the same thing.

Also, from next time, I would appreciate if you take names, and not make vague references.

Some people have mentioned about Darwin being 'close source'. They have not GPLed a part of it. Misinformed people may read this post *www.macnn.com/articles/06/02/24/darwin.for.x86.limits/

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
I read the excerpts from the GPL in Fast Track to Open Source and it was clearly stated that you can modify the freely available source code and sell it at a premium. Please learn to STFU when you do not have adequate knowledge of a subject!
Comment 1, again

Go read again, GPL states that you can modify the code & sale it at a premium,but u have to open the code for everyone too.....Apple is not doing it & violating the GPL rules

arya said:
And why would Apple ever release essential core components like the QuickTime Engine to the public! :eek: They are not a non-profit organisation out there to do some charity. How can you even expect Apple to help the competition? That is just plain ridiculous.
hmm....iTunes, oh wait, ipod is alive due to Windows so iTunes on Windows is required.

Quicktime , oh wait, Quikctime is required in many multimedia apps running on Windows, & guess what both iTunes & Quicktime are available for Windows FREE. So why can't they provide the player for free for Linux too? by the way, have u heard of Quicktime Alternative for Windows?

Hey, what is this thread about, Apple or Apple depending on MS for everything

i m not a lawer, but I find no reason why they can't do it. When other companies such as Real Media has given there source code as Helix player for Linux from a long time. They can simply give a free "player" app for Linux. No need to release the pro version for linux if they don't want to.

And taking something from the open source community is not copying. If the developer did not want it to be implemented elsewhere, he should not have opened the source in the first place

:ROFL.....chotu, to mut bol yaar, teri knowledge is really limited :D

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gx_saurav said:
Quicktime , oh wait, Quikctime is required in many multimedia apps running on Windows, & guess what both iTunes & Quicktime are available for Windows FREE. So why can't they provide the player for free for Linux too? by the way, have u heard of Quicktime Alternative for Windows?

Why is there no Windows Media player for Linux? Why is there no Zune marketplace for Linux?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mail2and said:
Why is there no Windows Media player for Linux? Why is there no Zune marketplace for Linux?

Windows Media Player Win32 codecs can be used in Linux too.....with any player in Linux. But Quicktime technologoy cannot be used in linux at all. Atleast MS is a bit open in this regard

Zune market place for linux....well, it's just relesed 4 months ago. If they find a market they will release it. By the way, i never said anything about Itunes music store in linux, did I?

eddie

El mooooo
aryayush said:
eddie, why do you keep saying that Apple should stop doing this and that. It is not Apple but people like me and others who post on blogs who've noted Microsoft copying these icons. Apple is not crying foul about it.
Then why are you doing it anyways? I don't see you doing it when Apple does the same to other Open Source projects.
And taking something from the open source community is not copying. If the developer did not want it to be implemented elsewhere, he should not have opened the source in the first place.
You know how you sound?
Mac Fan: Hey you know what? Microsoft just copied A WHOLE ICON of Apple!!! Man Microsoft is so sick...and Apple is so l33t!!! Apple rules mahn!
The listener: Hey that is so bad. Wait a second...isn't Apple the same company that copied the kernel, printing engine, browser engine and what not from some other place?
Mac Fan: Ermm...uhh...ahhh...uhhh...hey STFU ok! That is not copying!!! Microsoft copied a WHOLE ICON damn it...
The listener: Oh well...yeah ok...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom