Microsoft announces Outlook.com as Hotmail's successor

noob

Cyborg Agent
you can rename your current @hotmail.com account by going here once you've logged in: Sign In click on the update your email address link

mitraark

Decrepit
Some friends of mine went overboard on Facebook saying its the best UI they've ever seen for a Mail and OUTLOOK FTW etc ..

I cannot imagine shifting my email preferences so suddenly just for the looks.

Primarily use a Gmail account , i would be in deep trouble if i ever lost it, have Yahoo , Live.in ( which now redirects me to Outlook) as secondary.

tkin

Back to school!!
Some friends of mine went overboard on Facebook saying its the best UI they've ever seen for a Mail and OUTLOOK FTW etc ..

I cannot imagine shifting my email preferences so suddenly just for the looks.

Primarily use a Gmail account , i would be in deep trouble if i ever lost it, have Yahoo , Live.in ( which now redirects me to Outlook) as secondary.
The interface is damn slow, and its not due to my connection, does not work with opera properly, I am using it just cause I got a good email id and another good alias with it.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
The interface is damn slow, and its not due to my connection, does not work with opera properly, I am using it just cause I got a good email id and another good alias with it.

it's a compatibility issue with opera... works fine with IE... it's not at all slow

NeoRoxio

Broken In
The UI looks so plain, so clean, so organised, so......Metro.
My gmail inbox is now filled with garbage mails. And the @live.com after my name looks so cool as an email id. But I think choosing live.in would have been better. :(

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Don't think you can rename your email address by changing the domain name itself. :|

Just to let you know - even though you migrate, you will still continue to receive emails sent to you on your xxxxxx@gmail.com as well as xxxxxx@outlook.com in the same inbox.

No migration. What I mean is that since I have logged in using my gmail id as Microsoft id, I am unable to receive mails to my outlook.com account since the address shows "xxxxxx@gmail.com" in outlook.com. I can use all services but mail.

Desmond actually means that he'll use outlook to access hotmail to access gmail...lol....just kidding. Just wanted to know that can I use gmail id to login into hotmail? What will be the benefit?

Yes you can, but I don't think you can receive mails in your hotmail account since you don't have a mail address for that domain. You can use all other services though.

Anyway, I created a new account on outlook.com.

ssk_the_gr8

no issues with people going gaga over the "new" look of outlook.com but i find it hilarious that tech journos talk about the outlook.com(metro) design philosophy like it is such a bold new revolutionary blah blah design... where as WP users have been using it for 2 years .. Their Ignorance :facepalm:

Tech&ME

Banned
Hmmmm...

The idea of this Outlook.com UI is to bring WP + W8 interface on the web as well. This will make things easier for WP and W8 users, since they will get similar UI on the web also.

ssk_the_gr8

Hmmmm...

The idea of this Outlook.com UI is to bring WP + W8 interface on the web as well. This will make things easier for WP and W8 users, since they will get similar UI on the web also.

i know.... but tech journos are supposed to be "informed" .. thats why i find it amazing

NeoRoxio

Broken In
I thought I will miss gmail but outlook.com is awesome guys! It's very clean and organised and I can chat with buddies without logging into facebook (I don't know gmail has it or not but it's very cool :)). Let's celebrate it's birth with a new pic.
*i50.tinypic.com/2llg1ld.jpg
(Sorry for smudging out the personal info)
Anyway there are a few problems with this:
1.When someone sends you a message via chat and you're on a different tab the outlook tab doesn't flash and I don't hear a sound either. I have to open the tab frequently to see any new messages.
2.There is a single pane on the RHS for chat but you had different windows in gmail,fb etc. Switching between different chat conversations is painful (you have to click the back button then select the friend, it requires single click in gmail) Also you can view on conversation at a time.
There's a feedback button and I mailed them the problems so I hope it gets fixed.

Attachments

• outlook2.jpg
    outlook2.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 92
Top Bottom