Messed up monitor settings and no X

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Hi!
I was checking out the post of installing beryl on my system. Well, according to the post on wiki, they had just mentioned that 3D acceleration should be ticked. But, I just went to the monitor section and saw that the wrong monitor company was selected, i.e., Sampon or something. I chose Samsung and since my model 55V wasn't available, I selected 55B. Dunno why I did it :oops: but now, I cannot start X. The monitor goes blank and the green light starts blinking. How can I reset the settings to normal? :D

__________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: Hey, wait a sec. I remember backing up my xorg.conf. How can I replace it?

I'm almost getting there :D (Grrrr...... opera is crashing on windows when I select quick reply :mad: )

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
You can issue sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Where xorg.conf.backup is the name of the backup xorg.conf..

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

I am such a moron! I backed up the file AFTER I had made the changes to SaX2 :( So, still stuck with the screwed up one.

EDIT: trying to backup from xorg.conf~ gives me an error like "cannot stat /etc/................."

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

True :oops:

OK, I've reinstalled the distro. Updated the machine from the repos from here Even updated compiz, beryl and all the works. Now, I've got a different problem. I want to enable compiz and desktop effects, but I get an error message 'x11-video-fglrx' is not available for installation and it asks for Software Update, but when I click OK, it shows that the file is not available for download :( But, I installed this and one more driver according to this site. But, I still can't enable the Desktop effects and I keep the same error message over and over again. What do I do?

Fixed the problem myself. Reinstalled the ATI driver, but this time with the proper distro chosen. This is the third time which I installed the driver. Whew!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom