May i use thermal paste on my processor and how to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankush_is_here

Broken In
Hi guys pls tell me how i will use thermal paste on my intel 2.4 processor.
And can i directly use my pc after pasting without wait for some time..

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Why you want to use the paste???
Anyway thermal paste is applied between cpu & CPU cooler fan in order to make full contact between two which is necessary for better heat transfer. Just apply the paste on top of CPU and then install cooler.Thats it.

slugger

Banned
Ankush_is_here said:
Hi guys pls tell me how i will use thermal paste on my intel 2.4 processor.
And can i directly use my pc after pasting without wait for some time..

detailed explanation

How To Correctly Apply Thermal Grease

KISS explanantion
Applying and removing Thermal grease

@CADCrazy
us yaraana-wale post ka response
:D :D :D :D
ek aur thread tha us thread ke neeche hi

slugger

Banned
ya u can start using it immediately

if any thing, the wet grease will actually improve heat transfer

Last edited:

casanova

The Frozen Nova
I heard it is very risky as if even a milimeters gap remains and it can burn the proccy. Please enlighten on it.

@Slugger,

Thanks for the links. Will be useful after enlightment. :D

slugger

Banned
if u apply d grease uniformly and generously there shud d no danger of ne air gaps being present
(use a visitng card to spread it evenly over d processor and heatsink surface)

and ne way heatsink is press-fitted over the processors, so there is pretty much no chance of any gap remaining, esp after grease application

just remember

uniformly..........generously..........carefully and u shud b fine ;)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Ankush_is_here said:
Guys Pls tell can i directly use my computer after pasting on processor or wait for dry of paste applied on processor.
wait for 30-45 mins then assemble it.

And dont apply thermal paste if u r not facing any heating problem, u may damage the processor .

slugger

Banned
T159 said:
wait for 30-45 mins then assemble it.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

wat parameters have u taken into considerations b4 arriving at this magical number 30-40 mins

T159 said:
And dont apply thermal paste if u r not facing any heating problem, u may damage the processor .

:shock:applying thermal grease damages d processor:shock:

go tell this to those mfg Artic Silver

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Thx slugger for the uniform generosity you showed carefully.

Practicing it so that I can try it that way. ;)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
slugger said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

wat parameters have u taken into considerations b4 arriving at this magical number 30-40 mins

If it were some hours then it wud have been much boring...:D

slugger said:
:shock:applying thermal grease damages d processor:shock:

go tell this to those mfg Artic Silver

Its actually damages our purse:grin:

nyway thnx slugger for da link, its really helpful.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I was just telling the instruction given with the leaflet.I hav applied it on my frens comp.

And i never said to condemn using Thermal paste/grease/pad/whatever, my point was that applying these things just for fun is not worth it (if u r not facing any overheating problem and just curious to apply a better paste in place thinking u can lower few centigrades then its a pure risk)

u all act like herd sometimes

slugger

Banned
T159 said:
I was just telling the instruction given with the leaflet.I hav applied it on my frens comp.
d00d u r claiming to have seen this instruction on sum leaflet that ur friend had w/o really giving n e supporting evidences

y dont u show us d url of d document on thermal paste mfg's Co website

Cos always have online copies of documents

T159 said:
And i never said to condemn using Thermal paste/grease/pad/whatever, my point was that applying these things just for fun is not worth it (if u r not facing any overheating problem and just curious to apply a better paste in place thinking u can lower few centigrades then its a pure risk)

u all act like herd sometimes
d member has been sufficiently adviced to read d instructions given in d url provided and has been asked to be very careful

let d thread starter determine weather it is worth it or not
y r u decdin 4 him weather it is worht it or not?

it is not as if he is doing any thin dat cud get him booked under IPC

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
posting the URL is not possible as i dont hav that leaflet with me, threw it a the very moment i applied the pad.
Even i dont remember the brand cuz it was not from a well known manufacturer(like arctic silver).

Just think abt it n u can make out wat waiting for a few mins means to ur processor die.
1. It may wrap around the other parts and prevent the heat dissipation (so use less and make a very fine layer and try to make it somewhat dry before assmebling).
2. For thermal pad u need to first let the other end grip the die before u remove the poly covering or else it all will tear out uneven and then it will be too hard to place it without making a mess out of it.

yeah the member is a newbie, thanks for providing him the necessary links.

Still i liked to share my experience. I hav seen instances where things went wrong just for plain fun making with things u shouldnt.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Do I need to apply thermal paste if I put my processor in new motherboard??The processor has been in the old motherboard for more than 2 years now with thermal paste on.So,do I need to remove this layer of thermal paste??If yes,how??

@ Ankush_is_here: Hope you don't mind me posting this query in your thread.I was about to make a new thread with my query when I spotted yours.

Pathik

Google Bot
Well some people may not agree wit me but i just scrape off the dried old thermal paste with my nails and wipe it with a cloth..
A better method wd be to clean it wit alcohol

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
+1 for alcohol. it makes sure there isn't even tiny particles left on surface and dun do scratches on surface unlike some metal instruments.

slugger

Banned
shady_inc said:
Do I need to apply thermal paste if I put my processor in new motherboard??The processor has been in the old motherboard for more than 2 years now with thermal paste on.So,do I need to remove this layer of thermal paste??If yes,how??
every time you seperate the processor from the (heatsink+fan) combo you must apply a new layer of thermal graese after properly removing the old layer both from the processor surface and the heat sink

the thermal paste ensure that a continous contact surfac is mantianed between the processior and heatsink for unform heat transfer from the entire processor surface.

the moent you take out the haetsink from the processor you break this contimuity thereby rendering the OLD thermal paste useless

dabster

In the zone
pathiks said:
Well some people may not agree wit me but i just scrape off the dried old thermal paste with my nails and wipe it with a cloth..
A better method wd be to clean it wit alcohol
I used colin soaked cloth to clean both surfaces, and that's the best available option to clean :) , wat do u ppl say ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom