Master's in the US : A Guide

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
will low grades reduce your chances of getting a student visa?
Probably yes... but if you've secured an admission in some university then you are good enough rite? :D It all depends on the VISA officer. This may not strictly be the only reason for reject, but may be one of the reasons. Again, this Q is something which does not a definite answer!

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
good post buddy

i hav a stupid dbt...why are americans not studying ther? are they noobs..and is that 20-24lakhs is some fees we pay a real profit for univs?...

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
good post buddy

i hav a stupid dbt...why are americans not studying ther? are they noobs..and is that 20-24lakhs is some fees we pay a real profit for univs?...

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
good post buddy

Who said Americans are not studying here?

20-24lakhs sure is more than double of what what international students pay as compared to natives here.

nix

@infra: how different is education there?. I have heard that people do not copy in the test and there are no invigilators. is that true?

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@infra: how different is education there?. I have heard that people do not copy in the test and there are no invigilators. is that true?
Yes, that is true. Academic integrity is a very very serious issue here. If you are found copying/plagiarizing you can be thrown out of the university, with no mercy. And they make this very clear at the start of the semester... at least thats the case in my university.

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
@infra_red_dude
Great work here. This thread is very informative about da Masters program in US. Btw on ur blog you have mentioned about networking course syllabus being structured by companies such as Cisco etc. What does that mean?

Secondly, i have seen a complete Masters in Networking program on NCSU site which involves topics from engineering (for 21 credits) plus some 9 credits to taken from some other pool of topics. How is this course different than actually taking up Masters in CS or ECE with majority of Networking topics in it?

@Aspire
Very well said and a genuine fact.

Last edited:
OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@infra_red_dude
Great work here. This thread is very informative about da Masters program in US. Btw on ur blog you have mentioned about networking course syllabus being structured by companies such as Cisco etc. What does that mean?

Secondly, i have seen a complete Masters in Networking program on NCSU site which involves topics from engineering (for 21 credits) plus some 9 credits to taken from some other pool of topics. How is this course different than actually taking up Masters in CS or ECE with majority of Networking topics in it?
Glad you found the information useful :)

1) What I meant was the Networking course syllabus in my University is actually given by companies like Cisco etc. which caters to the present Industry. In fact there are a few courses (subjects) which are taught by Cisco, Broadcom employees themselves.

2) About the other question, in both CS and ECE you need to select courses from a pool of topics. So if you are in ECE (like me), you could be an Electrical Engg. (EE) graduate or a Computer Engineering (CPE) graduate which only a chosen number of Networking courses apart from the mandatory courses which need to be taken from the major track (EE or CPE). However, if you working towards a networking graduate degree then you can take up any and all of the networking courses (and the list/choice is just too huge).

Hope that clears things :)

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
Thanks for the info.
Point 1 crystal clear.

Oh one more thing i am Electrical Engg graduate. A few doubts in point 2: You said chosen number of Networking courses apart from mandatory courses. May i know what these mandatory courses mean?
Is it possible for one to take up ECE in NCSU and select almost all networking subjects/ topics for his masters and graduate, instead of taking up the exclusive MS in Networking - a hybrid course??
Regards.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Thanks for the info.
Point 1 crystal clear.

Oh one more thing i am Electrical Engg graduate. A few doubts in point 2: You said chosen number of Networking courses apart from mandatory courses. May i know what these mandatory courses mean?
Is it possible for one to take up ECE in NCSU and select almost all networking subjects/ topics for his masters and graduate, instead of taking up the exclusive MS in Networking - a hybrid course??
Regards.
Yes, its possible to be a CPE Major and specialize in Networking. However, the requirement for graduation is such that one needs to take up one course from each of the 4 specialization (ASIC, Architecture, Software Networking). So out of the minimum of 10 courses required to earn a Masters degree, 3 would be from out of your area of specialization. If you however take up a Networking degree (instead of taking up EE/CPE and specializing in Networking), then you don't haf such restrictions and you can take 9 networking courses (+ 1 mandatory business course for MS-CN = 10 courses). Not sure if I cleared your doubts.

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
@infra_red_dude
I think i am starting to understand it a bit. But still some ambiguity remains. The NCSU site states "Breadth is obtained by atleast one course from each of the three (3) specialty areas in Table 1." The table contains all the different ECE specialization areas.
I just wanted to know if its possible to opt for most of the topics or subjects from the Networking tab only such as ECE 570(FS), ECE573(FS), ECE574(FS), ECE575(S) etc in such a way to complete 30 credit hours and get a Master's Degree.

From your above post i presume that you mean to say that one must take the mandatory courses prescribed in Networking curriculum as well which according to the graduate plan of work must be from:
* Design Concentration
* General Information
* Hardware Concentration
* Software Concentration

Please clarify.
I am extremely sorry for bothering you with such noobish stuff.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@infra_red_dude
I think i am starting to understand it a bit. But still some ambiguity remains. The NCSU site states "Breadth is obtained by atleast one course from each of the three (3) specialty areas in Table 1." The table contains all the different ECE specialization areas.
I just wanted to know if its possible to opt for most of the topics or subjects from the Networking tab only such as ECE 570(FS), ECE573(FS), ECE574(FS), ECE575(S) etc in such a way to complete 30 credit hours and get a Master's Degree.

From your above post i presume that you mean to say that one must take the mandatory courses prescribed in Networking curriculum as well which according to the graduate plan of work must be from:
* Design Concentration
* General Information
* Hardware Concentration
* Software Concentration

Please clarify.
I am extremely sorry for bothering you with such noobish stuff.
You are correct. You can take most of the networking courses being in ECE (and not Networking). However, 3 courses must be from any 3 separate speciality areas, 7 others may be from Networking. In case of Networking degree, you can specialize in any if those 4 categories which you listed.

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
@infra_red_dude
Thanks a lot for your patience and the info which you have shared here. Now the whole picture is crystal clear for me. This means if one goes through the ECE department for a major in Networking then it becomes compulsory to take 3 courses from other specialty areas such as circuits, software, VLSI systems, Power Electronics etc.

On the contrary a MS in Computer Networking degree looks like a much convenient option with a lot of flexibility in courses involving only computer networking or business courses. What say??
Thanks again for the replies:)

Top Bottom