Mannerisms

Flash

Lost in speed
Mannerisms affect a lot, not only you but also the people around you.
Share the good/bad mannerisms (yours or encountered) here, so people who're having bad mannerisms (as good or not aware of), may have a chance to correct it and people who do have good mannerisms, may've helped someone to acquire a good habit because of you. :mrgreen:

Since i travel in train daily, most of mine revolves around train & railway station.
Let me start with the things, am seeing/encountering daily..

Bad:
- People with backpacks in a crowded train. They're not only filling troubling themselves, but also the people who're standing around here.
- People who spit wherever they can (even in buildings, when no one watches them)
- People with pawn/gutkha and spitting against a wall
- People speaking on mobile with high volume (with loudspeaker ON)
- People running across the traffic signal, when green.
- People standing on footboard, thereby troubling people who're getting in and letting out.
- People who use tissue papers like a paper towel, with a maximum of 20-30 per trip to restroom.
- People speaking on mobile, when crossing road or walking in a crowded place.
- People playing religious/gaana songs in high volume, when the whole compartment/bus is silent.
- People who travel in front seat of shareauto like a 3-headed lion in an old 1-rupee coin (i never travel like that, instead i will wait for one)..

Good:
- People who help the visually-challenged/physically-challenged to cross the road or to cross a slope.
- People who adjust in a 3-seater to help for the 4th one to sit and giving their seat for older people.
- People who smiles and say "NO" to beggars, than the angrier face and yelling at it.
- People who always credit other's work (even it's of meagre) in their workplace.
- People who slows their vehicles in a signal, when they see a group of people suddenly rushing through (most of them blow horn like siren, to fear roadcrossers)
- People who stops the elevator from closing, when you're running to catch it.
- People who stops and give you the lift, with a smile.
- People who give way for others, irrespective of driving/running/walking.

The mannerisms/habit i've mentioned above may be a little, but those are the things that matters most to others.

So your turn, spread your goodness across and inspire someone.. If not, get changed. :mrgreen:

axes2t2

I am a cat
The 2nd and 5th points of Good category.

I don't do that.

And a general question.

Where do you live Gearbox ?

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
First things first, the thread title might need a little amendment to "habits" rather than mannerism;as the generic message which is conveyed in the source post is more akin to segregation and framing of bad and good habits in a holistic level.

Read Mannerism : A gesture or way of speaking or behaving... a relationally more accurate term to "ideal attitude" in commonplace occurring of events and people.

Mannerism is a tuned fabric where culture meats a predefined and observed subset of disciplined,controlled and representable idiom of speech, behavior and demeanor. It comes on a superiority basis upon "habits" if not on non-verbal basis.

yes of course habit prevails in our society, in any society....that what defines a man from the other...but it involves certain activities which, eventually makes complete sense, but quite the contrary may not define mannerism.

Just because i cant share seat in a crowded train ( may be am fat or the 2 other in the same row are fat) means am bad with manners...

My fried just rushed home in a auto-rikshaw after 10 hours stretch in office, in the front seat, half-suspended...may be he did it because he felt that he could handle the risk, may be he could use a lil early in home rather than waiting, or may be he did out of some self-righteousness to lend that one "empty back seat" to offer to a lady who was equally in hurry to get moving and would go anyway in front seat if not let. What does that make of the man ? Ill-mannered? Cant disagree more.

This below in bold is inhuman cruelty :-x ... why would someone in earth smile and say NO to a man who has no reason to be nearly funny !!!? Do you even perceive what would the beggar make of that smile ?? its like "ohh..hi..i just killed u...again"

People who smiles and say "NO" to beggars, than the angrier face and yelling at it

and this... RIP english :lol:

"....most of them blow horn like siren, to fear roadcrossers

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^You stole my mind's thought. :) +1

Adding to it,

Gearbox said:
People with backpacks in a crowded train. They're not only filling troubling themselves, but also the people who're standing around here.

Really buddy? What is the solution then ? Don't carry backpacks ? So you chip everything into your pocket ?

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Really buddy? What is the solution then ? Don't carry backpacks ? So you chip everything into your pocket ?
That's why there are luggage racks for!
Else, take the backpack and keep it in between the legs. Just a simple thing..

Just because i cant share seat in a crowded train ( may be am fat or the 2 other in the same row are fat) means am bad with manners...

My fried just rushed home in a auto-rikshaw after 10 hours stretch in office, in the front seat, half-suspended...may be he did it because he felt that he could handle the risk, may be he could use a lil early in home rather than waiting, or may be he did out of some self-righteousness to lend that one "empty back seat" to offer to a lady who was equally in hurry to get moving and would go anyway in front seat if not let. What does that make of the man ? Ill-mannered? Cant disagree more.

This below in bold is inhuman cruelty :-x ... why would someone in earth smile and say NO to a man who has no reason to be nearly funny !!!? Do you even perceive what would the beggar make of that smile ?? its like "ohh..hi..i just killed u...again"

People who smiles and say "NO" to beggars, than the angrier face and yelling at it

and this... RIP english :lol:

"....most of them blow horn like siren, to fear roadcrossers
I agree with you - Mannerisms/habits or whatever. It's just how you perceiving it.
Sitting on a front seat, you not only risk your life but also others. Simple as that. There's nothing more worthy than your life.

Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. ~Mother Teresa
Roadcrossers or Road crossers or whatever - i don't mind.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ Exactly my point, see what am trying to depict is not to relate "mannerism" with these trivial day-to-day "should have"s

Our billion population country is already over-occupied with how do say "bad manners" towards infliction of
corruption,rape,ragging,language,religious abuse and thousands of vices, better focus on those rather than these "cant make everyone happy at the same time" issues...

That's why there are luggage racks for!
Else, take the backpack and keep it in between the legs. Just a simple thing..

I agree with you - Mannerisms/habits or whatever. It's just how you perceiving it.
Sitting on a front seat, you not only risk your life but also others. Simple as that. There's nothing more worthy than your life.

Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. ~Mother Teresa
Roadcrossers or Road crossers or whatever - i don't mind.

Like i said, if i can handle the risk, i will travel daily, successfully, faster than you and reach home far more effectively to my convenience, travelling in jostled train-->involves risk, crowded bus--> risk... wait are you extrapolating to non-commercialization or privatization of public transport system?? if you cant afford those risks, buy a car and travel.

i thought you meant "scare road crossers, not "FEAR"!

Mother Teresa...hmm... How many idealogical philosophies of her have you followed effectively in your own life so far? Try applying it outside any temple ...go to a beggar whos hungry and pissed for 3-4 days and then give him a nice smile and then say "No baba...am not giving u a penny..am giving u this smile coz mother teresa told me" ...then watch him give back you "love" "gifts" and so many beautiful things

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Bad
- People with backpacks in a crowded train. They're not only filling troubling themselves, but also the people who're standing around here.
Though there are luggage racks but I don't think they are sufficient if you have seen the rush. They don't only carry backpacks but big trolley bags that is equal to the size of a dinosaur.
- People who spit wherever they can (even in buildings, when no one watches them)
- People with pawn/gutkha and spitting against a wall.
Forget "no one watches them". Come to my place (Varanasi/Banaras). You must have heard of Banarasi pan :-D. There is sooo much spit here that you cannot recognize what colour was the spot before being spit upon. Actually, you might even get spit upon while riding a bike since density here is huge & forget mannerisms, they will shout on you if you even dare to teach them a lesson :-D.
- People speaking on mobile with high volume (with loudspeaker ON)
- People standing on footboard, thereby troubling people who're getting in and letting out.
- People speaking on mobile, when crossing road or walking in a crowded place.
Yeah. That's a PITA. Some moments urge to smash somebody's head off. These are among them :-D.
- People running across the traffic signal, when green.
There's no signal here which can stop anyone :-D. Infact, you will be shocked because people here first turn & then give indicator :lol:.
- People who use tissue papers like a paper towel, with a maximum of 20-30 per trip to restroom.
And throw them to every corner of the train.
- People playing religious/gaana songs in high volume, when the whole compartment/bus is silent.
By gaana you also mean modern DJ right? Because that's equally irritating if not more. I really hate this practice, its illegal btw to play above some decibels but society seems to throw this into the trash. In my colony only there are a couple of occasions when people would rent JBL speakers of the size of a volkswagen & play it in full volume. I just want to drop a bomb on them :x
Good:
- People who adjust in a 3-seater to help for the 4th one to sit and giving their seat for older people.
Believe you me, some older people are more irritating than younger ones :-D though rare. I was privy to an incident when there was an old age person sitting with another in a 3-seater Second Seating compartment of Railways. When the third guy came & asked correctly to step aside then that old freak wouldn't even listen. He was such a stubborn dumba$$ that he thought its a 2-seater & despite showing him the 3 numbers of seats , he would just not listen. There was quite a ruckus created because of him & finally people had to "force" him to get out :-D.
- People who smiles and say "NO" to beggars, than the angrier face and yelling at it.
Once I just finished eating ice-cream & then suddenly a beggar came & pleaded for food. I said to him you're late, I have eaten my ice-cream :-D. Bottom line is , I am fed up with the number of beggars..If I go on a long distance journey, then I would lose a lot of my money just giving away to them. And not all of them are 'nice'. You also have the example of Traffic Signal film , its a reality :-D.
- People who stops and give you the lift, with a smile.
I do that a lot. Especially if the person says he's from out of town.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Heard of the crowd in Mumbai.. :)
What i was trying to bring is a small change that can cascade over..

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Good:
Staying quiet/talking at a low volume in a restaurant. Especially when you're making comments on other guests/customers or even staff there.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Some people always make a fuss about privacy. Especially, it has increased these days.
You do shite in a metro, your mms gets leaked, and all fuss about privacy. Seriously?

Top Bottom