Make Digit Great Again!!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yea, the forum.

I'm back. Permanently.

So, what are the issues?

I want to say sorry for locking 'the Off-topic thread', it did kill the forum afterall. :(

I think we should reduce the number of sections. Large sections worked when we had traffic, now we don't. We have too many subforums.

D

Deleted member 118788

Whatsapp + Telegram groups. All important discussions seem to be shifted there.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think more interaction with Team Digit members would be good. Like actual discussions with them or they could ask for the community's point of views by creating threads here.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First of all, welcome back [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION].

I agree that Telegram and Whatsapp have shifted traffic and random discussions. But I think its not a main 'cause' of actual decline of forum traffic. It was eventual.

Time have shifted to instant messaging, instant gratification and 'groups', where a few but regular and sometimes known people talk about anything under the sun and without the strict moderation that a forum has. Reddit is also a thing many prefers now and could the 'blame' be attributed to.

Anyway, yes but the first thing that this forum need is restructuring of forum sections, already discussed in mod zone long ago. I believe though, a sudden complete overhaul of the existing structure can very well be detrimental and thus changes should be discussed thoroughly before implementation.

Migration to Xenforo is another thing, and I don't know its impact, since there are no major bugs in this vB based forum anymore. A glossy UI may be the need of migration tho, but I believe 'value' is decided by a forum's discussion/members rather than looks. Many forum members prefers a simple but functional forum, rather than a glossy but confusing/complicated user interface.

I think digit magazine have started introducing its readers to forum more diligently now and I think its working too. Since we are getting new members, but I don't think retention period is any good, so they quit before they start.

Next thing to work upon to increase traffic is to allow/encourage users to share stuff. We can also have more section moderators who would like to post new threads and start a discussion. And by encouraging users I do man some kind of incentive system, rep or rewards. (No mater how much I personally dislike it).

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
One more idea is that Digit could share interesting threads or posts on their twitter account. Kind of similar to what /r/India is doing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
How the reputation system works in our forum I simply don't know but here are some examples about how reputation system works in other forums.Please analyze them and if need be follow the same system here to encourage new comers as well as old timers.

examples of reputation system in forums - Google Searc
Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 118788

^ Yes, a reputation system with trophies would be interesting and may encourage users to be more active here.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
More than the trophies I think the old members can bring back life into this forum.

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 118788

More than the trophies I think the old members can bring back life into this forum.

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

It does becomes difficult for people to stay active on online forums as life progresses. I used to be very active on this forum before but then I needed to take a long break to focus on other things. Similarly, old members must have been busy in their life. Some might be married now, etc.

Another idea which could be to host TDF live meet in one or few cities. All old members and new members can get a chance to meet there and can discuss on how to revive the forum. What say?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
It does becomes difficult for people to stay active on online forums as life progresses. I used to be very active on this forum before but then I needed to take a long break to focus on other things. Similarly, old members must have been busy in their life. Some might be married now, etc.

Another idea which could be to host TDF live meet in one or few cities. All old members and new members can get a chance to meet there and can discuss on how to revive the forum. What say?
IIRC this used to happen long time back.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I feel is, people have moved onto platforms like Reddit.

Top Bottom