Lumia 720 or 820?

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
I'm sick of Androids, having used four of them since 2011 and I've decided to move to WP8. Here's where the confusion starts. Both 720 & 820 are within my budget but I'm not completely sure which one to go for. I've read a lot of reviews of both and I'm leaning towards the 820 mainly because its hardware would be fairly future-proof, and I don't think I'll be upgrading for the next couple of years after this. I don't play games on the phone but I do prefer having the extra RAM just in case future WP versions demand it. Camera quality is not too big of a deal.

Am I making the right choice? Your thoughts and suggestions, please. :)

hars1988

Broken In
am planing to buy lumia 720 its dam sexy than 820,2000 battery,less weight,slim

and 820 got 1gb ram

dontknow about performance but 720 is:wink:sexy

ajeeshys

Journeyman
i heard battery life is good in L820 even though it hasnt got a better battery than L720...
good processor,Ram,good cam.. should go for L820.. L720 s good one but the price difference s less which make the choice as L820

Shah

Cyborg Agent
I'm sick of Androids, having used four of them since 2011 and I've decided to move to WP8. Here's where the confusion starts. Both 720 & 820 are within my budget but I'm not completely sure which one to go for. I've read a lot of reviews of both and I'm leaning towards the 820 mainly because its hardware would be fairly future-proof, and I don't think I'll be upgrading for the next couple of years after this. I don't play games on the phone but I do prefer having the extra RAM just in case future WP versions demand it. Camera quality is not too big of a deal.

Am I making the right choice? Your thoughts and suggestions, please. :)

The resolution of L820 at its price point is too low and the RAM of L720 at its price point is too low. But, I feel L720 to be more VFM. If you are getting the L720, get ready to sacrifice some of the Apps and Games. Nokia has spoilt the L720 sales with 512MB of RAM which is otherwise a good device.

the.one

In the zone
I think L720 is better VFM @ 17-18k. U get a better cam, better battery, equally good display.
Just the RAM, which I have read on forums, that it should be enough for anything else than high-end gaming. Also LTE is another diff, but i guess it should not be a problm for users in India.

I would rather go for L920, which needless to say is the best. But then I could get two L720s at tht price.

At 25k price point, Xperia SP should be worth a look, though its on android.

The resolution of L820 at its price point is too low and the RAM of L720 at its price point is too low. But, I feel L720 to be more VFM. If you are getting the L720, get ready to sacrifice some of the Apps and Games. Nokia has spoilt the L720 sales with 512MB of RAM which is otherwise a good device.

Yaa, why do they always tend to leave one gaping hole on mid-range?

This deters prospective buyers, and forces them to look elsewhere, in my case towards X SP or GS3 again.

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
Well do consider iPhone4...with the recent offer going on its a steal...and with one of the best 5mp shooters around..
and you can still play hd games with not much hiccups as most games on iOS r optimised to work on iPhone4
and i am pretty sure that iPhone4 will continue to recieve updates.. But am not sure if any present day lumias wil get any further than wp8

Flash

Lost in speed
^^ Please don't drag iOS Vs WP here..

@Klaw: L820 has better specs than L720 (1.5Ghz vs 1Ghz, 1GB RAM Vs 512MB RAM), but has a weaker battery(1650 mAh Vs 2000 mAh) + heavy (160g Vs 128g). Except for the games that demand 1GB RAM, L720 will perform same as L820 on every aspect. The price that you pay for L820 over L720 will only apply for future-proof as a fee. L720 will be VFM.

ajeeshys

Journeyman
L820 s ur choice now.. but L920 s the best .. it got super cool display and awesome camera which can be compared to latest iphone..

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
IMO, if OP is buying 720 then he's wasting 8k coz even 520 has same hardware even though externals are bit different.. Yes 720 has more features than 620 n 520 like bigger battery, better screen, better camera.. but once he will start using it he will realize...mahn..performance wise it's like 520..so wasted 8k..IMO, if u r photographer, get proper digicam..if u want bigger battery u can buy power bank.. So he should get 820 with faster processor and More amount of memory which are more important aspects and which will give him peace of mind..

I would suggest OP to wait for a month or two.. Nokia holding couple of events in coming weeks.. Who knows we will have more options in all price brackets...:)

Last edited:

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
820 Cause more RAM and AMOLED display which makes WP8 look even more gorgeous :wink:

Sarath

iDota
Just bought a Lumia 720 after a lot of research.

For you I would suggest going for the 820 simply because of the extra RAM which is quite important.

720 has a better camera and a bigger battery life than 820 but the latter is more powerful with a better screen.

the.one

In the zone
IMO, if OP is buying 720 then he's wasting 8k coz even 520 has same hardware even though externals are bit different.. Yes 720 has more features than 620 n 520 like bigger battery, better screen, better camera.. but once he will start using it he will realize...mahn..performance wise it's like 520..so wasted 8k..IMO, if u r photographer, get proper digicam..if u want bigger battery u can buy power bank.. So he should get 820 with faster processor and More amount of memory which are more important aspects and which will give him peace of mind..

I would suggest OP to wait for a month or two.. Nokia holding couple of events in coming weeks.. Who knows we will have more options in all price brackets...:)

Also if he's a gamer, get a playstation. So he could save 15k and just get 520.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
Also if he's a gamer, get a playstation. So he could save 15k and just get 520.

ohh c'mon..why u comparing gaming console?? n be practical..power banks are very useful..i dont understand why ppl rejects phone having awesome features coz of just insufficient amount of battery capacity while awesome power banks are out there..n if u are passionate about photography and have budget of 18k what will u buy?? 10k for lumia 520 + 8k for at least digicam or 18k for 720 considering the fact that both phones share same performance..mobile cam sensors can not match even 8k digital camera (with few exceptions like 808)..they are just for casual outdoor photography..that was just a case if he is very much interested in photography...n i suggested 820 coz of its powerful internals..

Last edited:

Shah

Cyborg Agent
nokia may release L810 and 822 soon.. so wait with me:)
anyway get 820 not 720...

FYI, They are US version of L820. Don't expect them to make their way to India. Lumia 810 and Lumia 822 are more or less same as L820 in specs. Nokia will announce Lumia 928 and the much hyped Lumia EOS, on May 14/15.

Top Bottom