Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Just few minutes back my Lumia 520 hanged after making an call. I could not use any buttons. Even soft reset did not worked for me. I received calls but could not accept it. Touch screen was totally non responsive. It started only after removing the battery.

Anyone faced such issue?

Btw the phone is updated to amber.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Just few minutes back my Lumia 520 hanged after making an call. I could not use any buttons. Even soft reset did not worked for me. I received calls but could not accept it. Touch screen was totally non responsive. It started only after removing the battery.

Anyone faced such issue?

faced more than ten times. especially while using maps and drive. removing the battery was the only solution

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I did what gearbox said. Btw what is this Nokia suite ? I am aware of only the retail updater for Nokia, but that one clean-flashes your phone.

Edit: Read your second post as well. No, Lumia phones dont use the Ovi/Nokia suite of old anymore. I had once read about a trick where you can force the phone to give you the OTA prompt, but dont remember it now. I think it involved repeatedly checking if there is an update :>

Hmm nevermind I left it to Nokia/MS, whenever they.
Nokia Suite = Newer version of Ovi.

Thanks for the reply.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Anyone faced such issue?

Yes, I have seen this happen. I gues some 5-6 times so far. Never tried soft reset, just removed the battery everytime.

Windows Phone 8.0 smartphones may not be upgradeable to 8.1 - Computerworld

Was it 18 or 36 months of support that was promised ?

In any case, the number matters little, the value addition does. For example if the L520 is not updateable to 8.1 but will carry similar features, then I guess its a fair bet. Something which Nokia did with WP 7.8. But the same will not be acceptable on higher devices like the L920.

In any case, with Nokia being bought over by MS, I am biding my time for a new phone to settle into. N5 tops the list atm. But the screen from L1520 is drool worthy with the very neat assertive display tech.

raj_in

In the zone
battery questionnaire...
1.how much battery life do you get ? (relative to one's use so might skip answering this one)
2.what apps do you run in the background ?
3.how much battery do they consume(if any idea)
4.when is the correct time to recharge (read somewhere never let battery go below 5%)
your views on this
5.read somewhere we should not full charge but charge to 80% to maximize battery lifecycle(read as no. of discharge)
like in case of laptops
6. if battery saver is on can background apps allowed still run ?
7. is battery saver of any use

Answers for me:
1. I am able to squeeze in just about 1 day ... with normal use
calls 30 mins-1hr
20-30 mins gaming
2g running all the time (expect night time)
whatsapp constantly running in background apps (expect night time)
30 browser/other apps (i guess dont actually count it :p)

2. whatsapp & recently added battery app (today only)
3. whatsapp consumes about ~3% (near abt 2.5%) per hour as per my limited observations
4. i charge it around 10% but if i know i am about to leave my house & battery is ~50 i charge it up
5. i full charge most times if time permits
6. i have allowed whatsapp * battery saver on
it didnt run so my answer NO
7. i really ddnt find it much useful...i just switch it on when i go to sleep

Sorry guys for this long post
i am very excited about the phone (just 1 week in)
just wanted to share my experiences with battery life & want to know yours

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
battery questionnaire...
1.how much battery life do you get ? (relative to one's use so might skip answering this one) - 2-3 days with minimal usage.if you browse using 2g/3g continuously , then expect less than 1 day battery life
2.what apps do you run in the background ? whatsapp,insider pro. i keep battery saver on whenever i dont want to sync
3.how much battery do they consume(if any idea) -nope
4.when is the correct time to recharge (read somewhere never let battery go below 5%)
your views on this- i think phone will be switched off when battery reaches 5%. it takes lesss than 1 hrs and 30 minutes to full charge.
5.read somewhere we should not full charge but charge to 80% to maximize battery lifecycle(read as no. of discharge)
like in case of laptops - i dont know. let somebody else clarify this
6. if battery saver is on can background apps allowed still run ?if you turn on "now until next charge", then nope. i wont receive notifications. but if it is "when battery is low", then you may able to use background services until the battery reaches 20%
7. is battery saver of any use - yes for me

Answers for me:
1. I am able to squeeze in just about 1 day ... with normal use
calls 30 mins-1hr
20-30 mins gaming
2g running all the time (expect night time)
whatsapp constantly running in background apps (expect night time)
30 browser/other apps (i guess dont actually count it :p)

2. whatsapp & recently added battery app (today only)
3. whatsapp consumes about ~3% (near abt 2.5%) per hour as per my limited observations
4. i charge it around 10% but if i know i am about to leave my house & battery is ~50 i charge it up
5. i full charge most times if time permits
6. i have allowed whatsapp * battery saver on
it didnt run so my answer NO
7. i really ddnt find it much useful...i just switch it on when i go to sleep

Sorry guys for this long post
i am very excited about the phone (just 1 week in)
just wanted to share my experiences with battery life & want to know yours

battery life will improve over time.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
Is this a good earphone for the budget price for my Lumia 520 ?
Philips In Ear SHE3590 Blue - Buy Online @ Rs.515/- | Snapdeal

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
I frequently get that 2 second memory error video while surfing UC browser.Anyone know what that is ?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I frequently get that 2 second memory error video while surfing UC browser.Anyone know what that is ?

Apps are restriced to using 150 mb of RAM. So when UC browser has so many tabs open that the cumulative memory consumption of the app goes above this limit, you get this error. To conteract this IE dynamically unloads pages as you navigate to another tab. This whole situation is a bit messy - but also one of the reason why WP is so fluid even on lower hardware. Bit of a catch-22 really :|

Is this a good earphone for the budget price for my Lumia 520 ?
Philips In Ear SHE3590 Blue - Buy Online @ Rs.515/- | Snapdeal

Yes, but if you can get this instead -
Panasonic HJE 120

Nearly the exact same sound, but much more comfortable.

stonecaper

SuperMASSiVE
recently the battery app showing 5 percent/hour battery usage at all times
even the battery saver wont bring it down.
any idea whats causing this?
i have blocked all apps except viether and battery

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Sometimes, apps really won't close even when you close with 'back' button. Are you on Amber or GDR3?

Install Insider. It got some nice tips on saving battery..

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
Guys, how are you doing amber update ?

Did it

Recently got my L520 updated to Amber. Vissible changes-
1. SMS+Call Blocker
2. Data Sense
3. Better Apps(Nokia Smart Cam, Video Cutter)

What are the other new feature??

ya works with hotmail
basically hotmail is now outlook

so linked all a/cs thanks Kl@w-24 & gearbox

suggest me a memory card class 10 16gb
which brand should i go for?

i will temporarily be using a 8gb class 4
will I face any problems using a class4 card will watching 1080p videos or recording at 720p?

No point buying a class 10 card for L520.. I'm using a class 4 8GB San-disk one for the last 5 months and everything works smooth..

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Did it

Recently got my L520 updated to Amber. Vissible changes-
1. SMS+Call Blocker
2. Data Sense
3. Better Apps(Nokia Smart Cam, Video Cutter)

What are the other new feature??
4. FM radio
5. Lumia Color profile
6. Improved Phone storage and SD card storage details.
7. Flip to silence

You can install Nokia Pro Cam (Now Nokia Camera) now with a proxy + region hack.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
I find it odd that there is no auto fit/page reflow option in either IE or UC browser which makes browsing difficult as i have to scroll horizontally.Is there a way to fit the pages so i don't have to scroll web pages horizontally ?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I find it odd that there is no auto fit/page reflow option in either IE or UC browser which makes browsing difficult as i have to scroll horizontally.Is there a way to fit the pages so i don't have to scroll web pages horizontally ?

I'm afraid not. Have tried using the mobile version of these sites you visit ?

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
I'm afraid not. Have tried using the mobile version of these sites you visit ?

Yes mobile sites fit properly but then the mobile versions of full sites do not give a complete experience.In Opera Mini on Android i could open full desktop sites quickly and it also auto fitted it perfectly.I hope Opera comes to Wndows Phone soon.I loved Opera browser for data compression and auto-fit.

Top Bottom