Low budget Cooling solutions

Dino

Broken In
I have a Frontech Clone cabinet, recently i found out my 9600GT reaching temperatures of over 85C under load and idling at 75C. A friend advised me to get a 120mm fan and attach it to my cabinet. How, where (side/back) should i attach the fan? Will i get significant reduction in temperature?

OP
D

Dino

Broken In
I read the above mentioned article, but i am more concerned about the exact effect that the fan will provide. Most probably the testing was done in English climate, i guess, as that differs from our climate and i dont have an aircon in my room that kinda raises more questions in my mind rather solving the ones that are already hanging around... (I dont have much tech savvy friends around, thus i have to fetch for myself, and i myself dont know much....HELP!)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
How many fan does the cabinet already have? And in which direction are they running (i.e. airflow direction)?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Attach a 80/120mm fan at the back of the cabinet.
I should mention that you are using a very bad cabinet where airflow is next to null.

OP
D

Dino

Broken In
back end for exhaust right? i can spend on two fans, side intake and rear exhaust will give me good reduction in temperatures? note that my GPU fan faces downward, and is rather on the very lower levels of the CPU tower, both the fans intake and exhaust will be on a slightly upper level of the tower, so will cool air will reach them??

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Isn't there a slot for front intake? Cause front intake & back exhaust will be the best airflow direction.

OP
D

Dino

Broken In
Nothing in the front, its a cheap cabinet, i was surprised to find that it atleast had a side slot for the fan. so, what should i do? confused..

OP
D

Dino

Broken In
i hope you will get a clear idea with this ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
note, that the fan on my 9600GT is located beneath the card, side intake is waaaay above this fan, NO roof vent, side intake and rear exhaust is my only option.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
i hope you will get a clear idea with this ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
note, that the fan on my 9600GT is located beneath the card, side intake is waaaay above this fan, NO roof vent, side intake and rear exhaust is my only option.

Yes, from the picture, it is obvious to me the that the only option you have got is side intake & rear exhaust.

OP
D

Dino

Broken In
but will the Side intake be able to send the fresh air to the fan located under the Graphics card? if it dosn't then should i invest in just the exhaust..... or wat?

OP
D

Dino

Broken In
Dont have that much moolah at this moment. plus a cabinet like that is available in Chandni? why the hell do they decorate the shops with frontech and zebronics cabinets?

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Dont have that much moolah at this moment.
Nor do I, so my low budget solution is to simply remove the side panel, while gaming. If I forget to remove the side panel, then my PC shuts off after 30 minutes of gaming.
Another way in my mind is to simply replace the side panel with a some sort of mesh.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Should I assume that you tried by changing the thermal paste? If you've been using them for few years, most likey the thermal paste dried up. I would check up on that if I were you.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ I almost forgot to alert OP about that part.
@OP: Do what these 2 posts above mine advise.

Top Bottom