Looking for silent SATA hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

parimal

Journeyman
Recently I have seen many Seagate SATAs and they're very loud. Actually Seagates were popular for their silence. But this is not true for their SATA drives. I have seen two 80GB and one 120GB Seagate SATAs, but they're much loud. I don't like Samsung personally. I'm confused about the SATA hard drive brand.....which brand I should pick up?? Maxtor, Western Digital or anything else?? I want my SATA hard drive to be quiet....!!! I hate noisy drives.....may be I'm picky with those!!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
GEt MAXTOR HDD's , i have a one and it's damn silient..., even samsung ones are silient but there are issues of getting bad sectors.

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
Is quality of Maxtor up to the mark?? And what about Western Digital?? But I'm getting towards Maxtor......don't know about their service!!

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I have two seagate sata disk on my system one is an old 160 GB(one year old 7200rpm 8MB ) disk and the other is a new 160 GB (with NCQ) disk they are wisper soft.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I don't know who makes the quietest SATA drives, but regarding reliability, Maxtor appears to be among the most unreliable, and Seagate perhaps the most reliable. And Seagate comes with a 5-year warranty.

There was a long thread about this today in the newsgroup alt.comp.hardware under the topic "Maxtor hard drives fail too soon" :
*groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&l...%20fail%20too%20soon%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wg

I've installed plenty of Seagate drives for my clients over the past several years and not a single one has failed. I've seen a few Samsung drives fail. I've never used a Western Digital but opinion seems to be divided regarding WD drives.

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
Yeah i heard from some of my friends that Maxtor's failure rate is high......but I can see some good reviews about their DiamondMax Plus 9 series on the net.....confused again. More replies are expected guys!!!

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
What about Western Digital?? I know they throw some noise while starting and shutting down.....but are they noisy when seeks comes into picture??

indro

In the zone
So brands in SATA HDD's makes sound's , i used to get lots of calls regarding this when i was in Dell tech.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
i use two seagate drives one is 40 GB 5400 RPM and the other one is 160 GB 7200 RPM, but both r silent. But they r PATA, dont know about SATA ones

bottle

Broken In
screw silence.. look for something reliable . however it may be tough to find that since even the best have their share of failures :lol:

i have 3 WD drives that have never given me any problems(touch wood). they have taken quite a few knocks and bangs over the years as well

mamba

In the zone
pimpom said:
I don't know who makes the quietest SATA drives, but regarding reliability, Maxtor appears to be among the most unreliable, and Seagate perhaps the most reliable. And Seagate comes with a 5-year warranty.

There was a long thread about this today in the newsgroup alt.comp.hardware under the topic "Maxtor hard drives fail too soon" :
*groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&l...%20fail%20too%20soon%22&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wg

I've installed plenty of Seagate drives for my clients over the past several years and not a single one has failed. I've seen a few Samsung drives fail. I've never used a Western Digital but opinion seems to be divided regarding WD drives.

4 the record , now even maxtor gives a 5 yr warranty

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
:mrgreen: with 6.1 surround speakers up nd running good loud music,who cares nd who the hell can listen to low whirr nd humm of a hard disc???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Delpiero

Journeyman
parimal said:
What about Western Digital?? I know they throw some noise while starting and shutting down.....but are they noisy when seeks comes into picture??

No need to get confused. Stay away from Western digital Because service is not great. So Maxtor and seagate are left. From personal experience i would say seagate is pretty good. It's not very silent but silent enough for me. Very tolerable. I don't know much about maxtor. Seagate is very popular go for it.

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
Okie....I'll go for Seagate. That's the only Native SATA interface.....WD and Maxtor are using bridge to convert their IDEs to SATA. Though performance doesn't suffer.....but I'll go for Seagate...!!!

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Wait for a few days SATA II disks will be out soon so go for them . Only draw back you will have to change your mobo to get SATA II controller or get an PCIe based adaptor.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
Maxtor wont last more than 3 years , will starting giving problems after 1 year itself . though they have upgraded to 5 year warranty also , they do not service out of warranty hdd , even if u pay .

Regarding silence . there are utilities for samsung hdd from the manufacturers site itself , where u can change the noise output of ur hdd . Less noise , means ur perfomance will take a hit , more noise , more ur performance over the long run increases . arent there similar ones for seagate too ?

btw check manufacturers sites if the utilities work for SATA hdd too . calling their tech support wont be much help .

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
Stay away from western digital....
Not only they r noisy at start up,they scream when put into a task..
Also forget service if a need arises....
Go for SAMSUNG....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom