living people are not gud
etc.

so i just afraid how the place actually is

i know there are some geeks on this forum who live in chennai
so by idea of drgrudge i started this thread

can anyone from chennai help me

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I had been to Chennai...My experience says..

Water problems in some parts of City, not all...may be anybody from Chennai can suggest places for living...

Climate is very humid. Especially after living in a place like B'lore and Pune, which has awesome climate, I felt restless in Chennai. Sweating, Sweating..all the time. I felt like taking bath atleast 3 times a day! :-D

Regarding food, It's purely South Indian based, rarely seen some north style restaurants. Both Veg and Non-veg are available.

Travelling and communicating is really a messy situation. All writings, boardings in Tamil only! No english! Even Buses name plate in Tamil! Make sure you learn bit of Tamil before landing there. :-D

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
"living people are not gud" :shock: :D

=>There are Water Problems in many places, but if you go for Apartments, you can avoid it.

=>As far as i know, the climate hasent changed much, the difference is only in the Month of October end-November-December. due to the now heavy rains.
Rest of the Year, its as usual-- HOT HOT & More HOT.

=>About Food =>. it depends where you Eat, if you Eat @ very small hotels or Kayyandi-Bhavan :D (Hotel on Wheels), be ready with "Domstal" & "MetroGyl" Medicines. :D

=>People/Society also depends where you would like to live, if you got money, look for Apartments or houses @ "Anna Nagar", "Besant Nagar", "Adyar".

Give the detail or your office location, then it would be helpful for us to suggest you the places to look for a house.

Originally posted by Kiran.rkk
Travelling and communicating is really a messy situation. All writings, boardings in Tamil only! No english! Even Buses name plate in Tamil! Make sure you learn bit of Tamil before landing there.
I think you typed the opposite.
Its Bangalore where every thing like Bus Route Number(name plate) is Written in Kannada, In Chennai, both English & Tamil are used in most of the places.

Last edited:

bharathbala2003

why need title?
piyush619 said:
Hi friends

i m currently living in Panipat nearby New Delhi

i got posted in chennai & i have to join on 17th decmeber

i asked some people her about the city
they told me some stuffs like

did u ask ppl who live in the city or lived or visited??

Water problems
Not right now.. after the rains last year and this year its not there atleast in most of the areas..
Climate is changed
I dont think there will be a huge difference in climate except winters are not as cold as delhi.. in summer its all the same..
wat u mean by veg food? there is no problem about food.. come on u not coming to a village!!
Who told you this?? if that person has lived here it means he also is not good.. all cr@p

All i can tell is dont be afraid.. its a great place to be in.. :) infact if ny1 has seen or noticed.. the city police here use accent crdi and qualis..

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Chennai is a great place to be in!

I would to address the issues that you raised...

piyush619 said:
Water problems
No, 98% of Chennai wont have water problems. Don't get fooled by seeing womens standing in long Queues waiting for Chennai Metro Water lorries.. unfortunely they don't have a Water connection/Tap in their places. You are going to live in a good decent place. Don't worry about water problems. For the past 3-4 years, the monsoon is very active leaving the water problems aside.

piyush619 said:
Climate is changed
What do you mean by "Climate is changed"? Climate will be pleasant (atleast for me) from October till Feb. Only from April till June is little hot and Humid. Even then, don't get fooled by ppl who say it's "Hoooooot" and things. They should come and live in Dubai Summer for a month and go. :D

piyush619 said:
You can any type of food. FYI Headlines Today reported that Chennai has the best Restaurants in India. You can get all types of food.

piyush619 said:
:confused: To be very honest, it's just the opposite. Believe me.

kiran.rkk said:
Travelling and communicating is really a messy situation. All writings, boardings in Tamil only! No english! Even Buses name plate in Tamil! Make sure you learn bit of Tamil before landing there.
Get your facts right! Been living in Chennai for over 22 years. All the buses have name plates in English as well. Chennai is only the second City in India to get a Metro Rail (it's called MRTS). Buses are available in plenty and it's affordable as well.

Like s18000rpm said you need to stay in some areas to meet suave and posh ppl. Places like Anna Nagar, Kilpauk, Besant Nagar, Adyar, Greenways road, Chetpet, Nungambakam and Gopalapuram are posh.

Seems that you've got wrong info abt Chennai. Ask ppl who have lived in Chennai and not ppl who just visited for a week or so.

I've have been to almost all the places in India. I would rate the top 5 cities in this order:
1. Chennai
2. Kolkata
3. Delhi
4. Mumbai
5. Bangalore

The roads are IMO the best in India. Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, BMW, Audi, Hyundai (2 plants), Ford, Saint Gobain, etc.. have all set up their units in Chennai. Did they blindly set up/going to set up shops in Chennai? :cool:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Nice punch @drgrudge!! I have stayed in Chennai for 3 years. So here are the facts:

* Almost no water problems now. Chennai had very heavy rains last year.
* Climate is Hot, pleasant during October - March. Climate is a bit humid because of the Sea!!
* You get all types of foods in Chennai - Chinese, Keralite, Chettinad, Andhra, Bengali (Veg & Non-veg) etc.,
There are some very good hotels that provide almost all the North Indian dishes
* Better you guys learn some Tamil - the autorickshaw drivers don't understand Hindi. Some understand a bit of English
* Name plates of Buses are in English & Tamil
* There are nice people everywhere in India!! It depends on where you stay in Chennai.
There are very good localities like Anna Nagar, Besant Nagar, Alwarpet, Adyar, Nugambakam, Gopalapuram etc.,
* Metro Rail rocks - It's really fast, & very convenient

OP
piyush gupta

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
THANX A LOT GUYS FOR THIS HELPFUL INFORMATION

i think it will be great fun being their in chennai

i am posted at

Accenture Services Pvt. Ltd.,
Tek Meadows, 51,
Old Mahabalipuram Road,
Sozhanganallur,
Chennai 600119,

can u guys help me telling where is this place

also i want to know is there any PG available nearby it or better is 3-4 person share a room
also tell me is this place in a gud area or aise hi area main hai
i means whats the locality around the office

Any nearby area where i can found a gud PG or Apartment or anything for living

Last thing i want to know
how many chances are there that i found good north indian food there?

i means like here in panipat there is a big change in climate its between 37-43 in April to july
from nov to feb its between 06-25 also there is a big change here in temp of days & nights

drgrudge said:
:confused: To be very honest, it's just the opposite. Believe me.

thanx for that information

actually i asked people who visited chennai for business purposes or just travelled there
almost everyone had a bad exp of people there i dont know the reason
they said people are not helping like here in north india

Thats why i was really afraid

Last edited:

bharathbala2003

why need title?
^^

yes that place is a bit off the city.. its in the IT highway.. there are a LOT of pg's around it.. cos there are so many companies esp CTS,TCS,Infy,Accenture a bit near by u have EDS,Sutherland.. etc etc.. id suggest u stay in a place called adayar u get lot of pg's for it profs.. in both sharing basis and single.. with food tv etc etc.. adayar is one of the posh areas in the city.. and its about 15-20 mins from there to your office..(by a 2 wheeler)

drgrudge

You can stay at Adyar/Indra Nagar, Thrivanmayur/Valmiki Nagar or even Besant Nagar (if you have $$). Those places are quite near by and good as well.

But you'll be provided by an accomodation or you'll have to find it?

OP
piyush gupta

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
@drgrudge- it be 15days stay by company then i have to find some place to live

can anyone quote whats my approx budget of living it includes
PG rent
Food expenses

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
This is what I like in this forum. Thanks for the update guys. I had been to Chennai a year ago. At that time I remember seeing only Tamil boardings, shop names in tamil...etc. I just got mixed up while putting things here.
Error regretted guys.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
piyush619 said:
Water problems
Climate is changed
Veg food
etc.

No water problems for the next year, nough rain :)
Climate's humid, you'll sweat a lot maybe a few days.
Veg and Non Veg equally balanced :)
Living people are not good eh? Nice thought, they're orthodox like hell but nice.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
The best place for you to stay would be in any of the places DrGrude said.
try near Thrivanmayur bus-stand, there are some good house/room @ a little bit Cheaper rates.

Avoid looking for room near your Office.

About food expense, an average of 50-70 bucks a day.(veg & excluding lunch, as that'll be provided at office).
one advice, if the hotel you go for is not that big/posh, then Avoid North Indian food there.:D

drgrudge

piyush619 said:
@drgrudge- it be 15days stay by company then i have to find some place to live

can anyone quote whats my approx budget of living it includes
PG rent
Food expenses
The rent will be around Rs 4k (or more) for a single bedroom at lesser posh areas in Adayar or Thiruvamayur. I have no idea abt shared accomodation rates.

Food expenses will be around Rs. 40-50 per day. But that depends on what/where/how much you eat.

What is "PG" by the way?
This is what I like in this forum. Thanks for the update guys. I had been to Chennai a year ago. At that time I remember seeing only Tamil boardings, shop names in tamil...etc. I just got mixed up while putting things here.
Error regretted guys.
Even before 1 yr, all the boards were displayed in English and Tamil.

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Even before 1 yr, all the boards were displayed in English and Tamil.

Well, may be in your area. In the area where I stayed, I had almost all shop names in Tamil. My friend also agrees with that. Now don't ask about his whereabouts. He is Chennai based. In some parts of Chennai, now also you could see that. Go for a big round of all parts in Chennai. Being 22 years in Chennai doesn't mean that you know everything about Chennai.

Personally I have nothing against Chennai. Even my Mother is Chennai-based. I visited Chennai often in my childhood days. I love beaches there. Marina beach and Golden beach to name some favourites.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Only the Long route buses (Town Buses) have boards in Tamil.

allmost all MTC (city bus) have name boards in English.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey piyush, drgrudge is absolutely correct, chennai is a nice place to live. My work takes me to Chennai EVERY year & I've been visiting Chennai since 1987. 1 year ago & b4 that Chenni ALWAYS had english board on buses. DO NOT believe all the rubbusih some people write here. I mostly stay at Ashok Nagar & there r plenty of non-veg restaurants INCLDING north indian, chinese etc. It is LOT less....

drgrudge

kiran.rkk said:
Well, may be in your area. In the area where I stayed, I had almost all shop names in Tamil. My friend also agrees with that. Now don't ask about his whereabouts. He is Chennai based. In some parts of Chennai, now also you could see that. Go for a big round of all parts in Chennai.
MTC is not split/divided in areas and limits. All the buses had and have boards in English as also. I don't know the case now as I'm in Dubai.

kiran.rkk said:
Being 22 years in Chennai doesn't mean that you know everything about Chennai.
True. But I know for sure that the buses (atleast the ones plying in Chennai Metro) have borads in both English and Tamil. That was the case atleast for the last 10 years or so.

I'm sure as I travel in MTC (Chennai Metropolitan Transport Corporation) a lot. Infact When I was in my Class 11 and 12, daily I travelled by MTC buses only.

vasulic

Journeyman
Tamil Nadu is the most literate state in India, next to kerala. In chennai u can survive with your English. and iam sure the living condition in chennai will be far far far better than your Village (panipat)

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
hotter than delhi in summer & much cleaner than mumbai...I live in mumbai...& the bus transport of Chenni is arguably the best in India & they DO NOT write tamil in some & english on some. ALL buses REGARDLESS of which area it is they go to have also english CLEARLY visible 2 everyone unless they can't read english or blind. Don't b too concerned it a nice place to live, plus pc hardware is...
?__________
?is cheaper in chennai than in mumbai
?__________
?
kiran.rkk said:
Well, may be in your area. In the area where I stayed, I had almost all shop names in Tamil. My friend also agrees with that. Now don't ask about his whereabouts. He is Chennai based. In some parts of Chennai, now also you could see that. Go for a big round of all parts in Chennai. Being 22 years in Chennai doesn't mean that you know everything about Chennai.
?.
Listen to this guys living in Channai 4 22yrs does not make a person copetent to talk bout it but visiting the place a few times makes the person accurate informer of the truth...WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom