Status
Not open for further replies.

direfulsky

Broken In
these days i used to read every where about linux and open source!..do u think linux phenomena is over hypped? even a person having well insight in computers used to have tough time with linux..stilll numerous technicall issues...i do belive still its long road ahead till linux get in generalll user mode who just use operating system.linux sounds like hollybooks.. every one appreciate..i am using linux from last 3 years..but honestilly i belive there is nothing still in linux to impress a generall user!
i do hate when people raise question which is better..linux or windows. both have there ups and downs.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
direfulsky said:
but honestilly i belive there is nothing still in linux to impress a generall user!

Eh? what general use?
Internet surfing.. Document editing .. multimedia and stuff.. everything is there in Linux rite?

and what exactly do you want your linux box to do?

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Now a days, there are many distros which have Graphical tools available for their command line counterparts.

AND SuSE doesn't require commands ?? :-O
Never heard ....

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Congrats direfulsky - You surely are the next Steve Ballmer! :))

Just thinking how wrong your signature is ... Aim for the moon and you'll fall back only on Earth if you miss, Stars are far off. You need to go to school. Kerala schools preferably. :p

Just kidding. Use cotton ear-plugs if the word 'linux' makes your blood boil and toes curl. Cause one can't be wronger than you are in saying its still far off. :)

Linux rocks mate!

Don't ever underestimate linux. I am using it for the past 6 months, and I learnt it faster than windows.

The commands need not be always remembered. They are just there to make life easy by shortcuts. You just go to that good software maker's site or that cool forum, ask a question, coppy paste the oneline code you get as a reply in the terminal, press enter, enter password, and thats it, your work is done.

I think you feel linux is not graphical enough for you. but its the kernel that matters the mst for advanced users. The GUI is only as good as you make it, and you can make it infinitely better, concidering the kernel supports that.

Linux Distros usually lack eye-candy by default because they need to be compatible even in old hardware. I can make a simple and light distro like Damn Small Linux look better than Micro$oft Window$ Vi$ta or Apple Mac O$X Leopard if I want to, I only need to customize it a bit.

If you can manage to customize your distro suffitiently, you are in for a joy ride when you use linux based OSes.

Google themselves use linux(Goobuntu, GooSE, Geodra, Googdriva, Goobian, etc) and not windows server edition, because when customised, linux can't be beaten at all in terms of functionality. Its just the Do It Yourself moto of linux that scares most users.

And for users who want no fuss "for the masses functionality" out of box, there are distros for them too, like "Ubuntu Ultimate Edition", Sabyon, Red Flag Linux, Linux Mint, etc.

The key to people who have specific needs to choose a distro is to ask someone who knows for help. You have linux for all uses, even in the SUPREME COURT OF INDIA, or A MOVIE STUDIO IN BOLLYWOOD, or a BATHROOM SMELL MONITORING SYSTEM or even in TV SET TOP BOXES

Linux is not over-hyped, but I have to agree, that people write about it as though one can start doing anything in it from day one, which is impossible. You need atleast 3-7 months of eXperience.

I think you are trying to create a flame war and troll here:mad:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
drgrudge said:
Supporting Windows:
My Dell need to run some softwares which run on Windows only. Even if I manage to run software on Linux, we need to implement some stuff for clients as well. So Windows is a must in my Dell Laptop. I don't play games (but for Sudoku), but if I'm an avid gamer then it's better to run Windows.

what softwares you run?

Supporting Linux:

This is going to subjective. Never tried Linux before. My 8 year old PC just barely runs Windows. For the things and stuffs I do (Internet+Multimedia+study; not even need/use Office suites), Linux is perfect as it's free and runs better in a slower system.

i still believe your 8yrs old pc can run linux

Supporting Apple OS X:
I've MacBook Pro not because I got a lot of loose change, looks cool or for status symbol. I brought that for my Freelance (designing+coding+blogging) work like Designing work (Photoshop & Comic Life). I'm learning some PHP, CSS stuffs. Can't wait to use Coda. I've a hell lot of softwares (OS X only) that help me improve my freelancing (not that I'm planning my career in it, but I love to do it) capabilities.
I'm a complete movie buff. I see a lot (add more adjectives here) of movies. My Dell (2 Ghz + 1 GB RAM) could handle 720p but not 1080p. Already starting to make arrangements for 1080p/i stuffs for my MBP. :D

cool! mac book & mac os X are nice;)
can't comment more as i haven't used it

I might own a MBP, but I'm never a fan of my OS. Each OS has it's advantage and disadvantage. You need to see which one suits you. :D

same here i am also not a fan of any os:)
i keep switching which one suits me more, at present linux suits my needs more than windows, first and fore most reason is security. now i don't have to care for viruses:D . i haven't tried mac as you have to buy a mac to try it out:( so can't say how a mac is

i think they should also give people some trial like other oses:D

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
gauri said:
buy a mac to try it out:sad: so can't say how a mac is

i think they should also give people some trial like other oses:grin:
^^yeah!apple store guy shud come to every trial users with MBP :eek:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
gary4gar said:
what softwares you run?
Some 8-10 softwares. I know that they run on Windows only. Why you want to know them?

gary4gar said:
i still believe your 8yrs old pc can run linux
I never said, it can't run. I'm running XP, so that should not be a problem. I tried installing, but gave up. Except for the speed, my PC is ok.

gary4gar said:
now i don't have to care for viruses:D . i haven't tried mac as you have to buy a mac to try it out:( so can't say how a mac is
Hey, don't tell me that! I don't have any AVs, Anti spywares, Firewalls (even the default XP one is off), or tools like HijackThis. This is the case for the past 4 years. My PC is always connected to net - 24/7. From what I notice, now the system is better than when I had the condoms on. :cool:

By the way, lol @ praka123, calling gary4gar as gauri. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom