Linux recovering

subhransu123

Journeyman
I installed ubuntu 11.04.first. But after that i installed win 7 ultimate 32 bit.so linux is removed from boot option so how to recover linux in bootin option such that linux and windows both appear in boot option.......pls help.......

nims11

BIOS Terminator
boot from a ubuntu LiveCD and in terminal type (i assume you havent separately made a partition to mount /boot into):
sudo fdisk -l to identify the device name of your linux partition. usually it is /dev/sdax where x is a number.
sudo mount /dev/sdax /mnt (replace x with the number you identified from fdisk -l)
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda (note that it is only /dev/sda)
reboot and now you will be able to get into your installed ubuntu. in ubuntu, goto terminal and type
sudo update-grub

NOTE: it might be hda or anything else instead of sda

OP
S

subhransu123

Journeyman
How to enter into theterminal mode.i selected the option try ubuntu without installation and after entering i typed the first command and i got the list of drives but after second command it showed that "mount :can't found sda8(linux installed)in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.so please help.....my project work is in linux..........

nims11

BIOS Terminator
post the screenshot of the terminal window with these commands executed.
or better, try EasyBCD as Jojo said.

Top Bottom