Linux: Making Life Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Sound Problem In Linux
Thanks Praka123, You have tried your best to solve the sound problem. I also tried all the way to solving the problem, at last I found a good tutorial at Ubuntu Forums *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
With the help of this tutorial I got solved my problem. But a minor problem is also there, i.e audio comes out from only one speaker and the sound is very low.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
If ur looking for freshly installed shots

default installed screenshots of various distros with versions & who says babes aint into linux check the last pic in gallery for more proof.
more linux stuff can be found on tuxmachines.org

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
TIPS FOR LINUX EXPLORERS
Helpful info for those learning Linux

These Linux tips are meant to provide just enough
information to whet your appetite for more.
They are updated frequently and are not presented
in any particular order.
*www.brunolinux.com/

learn the command line
Why do you need to learn the command line anyway? Well, let me tell you a story. Not long ago we had a problem where I used to work. There was a shared drive on one of our file servers that kept getting full. I won't mention that this legacy operating system did not support user quotas; that's another story. But the server kept getting full and stopping people from working. One of the software engineers in our company spent the better part of a day writing a C++ program that would look through the directories of all the users and add up the space they were using and make a listing of the results. Since I was forced to use the legacy OS while I was on the job, I installed a version of the bash shell that works on it. When I heard about the problem, I realized I could do all the work this engineer had done with this single line:

du -s * | sort -nr > $HOME/space_report.txt
*linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

very useful thread .. those games where awesome find :) keep up good work

currently i am download all those 3 games. the best part is those are open source and available for MAC osX also

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
How to support GNU/Linux?Spread this using logo's linking to promo sites.
*getgnulinux.org is a very nice site which explains to n00bs and window$ users :)
use the buttons on ur blog/site :
eg:
*links.gnulinuxmatters.org/en/100x150_5.png

*www.gnulinuxmatters.org/participate/link_buttons/

*www.softwareliberty.com/ explains what is FOSS in brief.
Spread it!

mediator

Technomancer
Playing Real Media Files with Xine

1. Download and install realplayer
2. Locate the path of the real media codecs.
- On fedora its, "/usr/local/RealPlayer/codecs"
3. Open up the xine config file, locate the paramater "decoder.external.real_codecs_path", uncomment it and put the path (from step 2) to make it look like this
# path to RealPlayer codecs
# string, default: /usr/lib/codecs
decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/local/RealPlayer/codecs
4. When all done. Restart xine!

drsubhadip

In the zone
i am very much new to linux..
i ve installed pclinux 2007 supplied with digit this month...
i m familiar with windows software installation..
but here in pc linux i can not install any thing...
can u help me to learn how to install any software which r supplied in digit dvd???

praka123

left this forum longback
there is no use in installing source packages provided in digit dvd.

Linux,there are various package management systems.and pclinuxos uses rpm packages.so,u can install packages which has .rpm at the end(sometimes dependency problems :D ) by double clicking on that package.

Better thing is to configure YUM on PCLINUXOS for online updates just like window$ update.
see this wiki page:
*docs.pclinuxos.com/HomePage

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Do you want to decorate your desktop but don't want to use compiz( or your system don't support it). With latest Gnome you can achieve this without affecting your system's performance. You don’t even need accelerated graphics to run Metacity with compositing. It even works well inside VirtualBox! If your computer can’t run Compiz, give this a try. Here are the steps...

1) Run Gnome configuration editor ( gconf-editor )
2) Navigate to Apps->metacity->general
3) Check the compositing_manager box, and Metacity will immediately restart with compositing!
4) Now you can install Screenlets, AWN etc. to decorate your desktop.

Here is a screenshot.

*lh5.ggpht.com/subratabera1/SCdLFGttBhI/AAAAAAAAAIU/NtusKAUkpyY/s288/Screenshot-1.png

Enjoy!

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
...so easy! but I had tried this earlier :) In earlier metacity releases compositing option was buggy and purposefully disabled.

Let me check this version.
Thanks for the tut :D
EDIT:Wait!it is working fine on my Debian Sid :)

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Excuse me, but IIRC correctly, AWN can't run without Compiz. And I did turn on compositing manager of Metacity.

hitboxx@Mothership:~$ avant-window-navigator
Error: Screen isn't composited. Please run compiz (-fusion) or another compositing manager.

[2]+ Stopped avant-window-navigator
hitboxx@Mothership:~$

OP
subratabera

subratabera

I am running it without enabling compiz at all (but I have it installed on my system). There might be some problem with your installation. You need latest version of Gnome for this. BTW, I am using Ubuntu Hardy.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

I will see that. But the fact is you don't need compiz running. Here is a screenshot of all my running processes.

*img357.imageshack.us/img357/7091/screenshotbm5.th.png

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
My Gnome version is 2.22, I'm using Linux Mint 4.

Uninstall your Compiz and then see.

Q: There's a big ugly black bar around AWN! How do I get rid of it?
A: You need to be running a compositor like Beryl or Compiz. xcompmgr or xfwm4 may also work, although there are known bugs with each.
Source: *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762363

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom