Linux: Making Life Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Today I installed Avast Antivirus in my ubuntu 7.10 OS. I can run the programme in Terminal by typing avast, But I want it in the menu, I have searched all the menu but I could not find the item. Now how I will find the same and get it in the menu. In the past in Ubuntu 7.4 I installed avast and it automatically included in the menu. please say me the procedure.

praka123

left this forum longback
why do you want to run a so called "av" in Linux man?there is no use at present for AV's in Linux or *NIX.

OR
are u running some servers(email,samba...),which are catering to windows machines?then it is OK.

else AV is just BS in *NIX.

as regarding to getting options in right click menu,i dont have much idea,still it may be useful to use "nautilus-actions" installed.then read the procedure in /usr/share/doc/nautilus-actions/ .also,u can try removing any local files created by so called "AV";ie, ~/.avast etc

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
PC = Zenith
Proc = 850 Mhz
Ram = 128 MB
MB = SiS 630
Sound Card = C-media PCI CMI8738
HDD = 80 GB ATA
OS = Kubuntu 7.10

The problem is Sound Card detected by the OS, but could not play any sound. I tried all the settings to configure the sound but in vain. From the adept manager I found 2 audio driver and installed them but not working. When I open Amarok to play song it runs fine with out any error msg. but no sound/audio comes out. The same system is works fine in windows OS. It is conform that the sound card as well as the speaker set is fine.

I have download a driver from the C-media web sites "alsa-driver-1.10.15.tar" for linux 2.4. yet not installed, may I install the driver, will it work?

Please give me solution.

praka123

left this forum longback
*www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-cmipci
^this page means ur sound card is supported.check the details!

first upgrade alsa to latest version if it is available.also compiling alsa from source is OK;but install it will checkinstall package.read about checkinstall details here:
*www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware#source
*help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
@praka123
I am unable to install the driver, whenever I try to configure the source code it is not configured with a msg

Entering auto-apt mode: ./configure
Exit the command to leave auto-apt mode.
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

praka123

left this forum longback
go the source directory and check config.log.before that,verify via synaptic the version of alsa.

I think,the compilation error is due to not having libc6-dev installed.when internet is ON,open a terminal,close synaptic or adept,then run:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
now,
Code:
sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
now try compiling again! :)

also make sure by
Code:
sudo apt-get install gcc
here is config.log
where?:eek:

Last edited:

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
^saw the attachment.follow post #172

I have update/upgrade the Kubuntu OS as per your suggestion. Then I compile the driver file "alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar" and it was compiled successfully. I installed the driver file successfully. But no audio/sound comes out.
In the finising of installation there was a WARNING MSG as under

WARNING!!! The mixer channels for the ALSA driver are muted by default!!!
You would use some ALSA or OSS mixer to set the appropriate volume.

Please note the driver source which I have downloaded and installed.
*www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/getdriver.php

praka123

left this forum longback
^that warning means u have to unmute ur audio from kmix volume control!go to advanced properties to unmute the channels!this card is supported by alsa by default in ubuntu :)

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
I opened the Kmix Volume control and the audio is not muted. So there is no chance of unmute. Also I have not find any advance properties.

Here is screen shot of Kmix volume control

*www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1515900_snapshot1.png

praka123

left this forum longback
Firstly,post the output of lspci from konsole/terminal! here.

sry man!i dont know much about kmix!
do this instead:
in "run" dialog(alt+f2):
Code:
kdesu kate /etc/modules
now enter below word exactly in a new line:
Code:
snd-cmipci

^^^save and exit.

the very thing that kmix is opening means that some quirks somewhere which prevents the audio from coming!check for urself in kmix>settings and kmix >switches etc.

also,try increasing pcm via terminal as
Code:
alsamixer
navigate with up,down arrow keys,tab,return(enter) etc.
now try again!also increase ur speaker volume to make sure audio is available.

Hey! somebody using Kde Help this fellow :p unmute "kmix"

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Out put of lspci
ada@home:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630 Host (rev 21)
00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)
00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 83)
00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)
00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
00:0d.1 Communication controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (rev 21)

praka123

left this forum longback
Code:
@ghosh:it is some small problems with unmuting the volume control!I dont know with kde much!as u see kmix coming up showing volumes!if card is not detected,kmix will show blank!
anyways,here is a method:
open konsole and type
Code:
[B]sudo su -[/B]

now u'll get a "#" root prompt,in that prompt,run below commands:
Code:
[B]amixer set Master 90% unmute[/B]
and:
Code:
[B]amixer set PCM 85% unmute[/B]

Next,do the same in terminal as local user;ie,open a terminal and in "$" prompt ,do the above commands!

now,try playing any audio file.Hope this solves :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom