linux installing woes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

varunbhide

Broken In
i posted this here coz it is os related...
i tried to install fedora core 3from the image disks given with digit's jan 05 issue.
while installing, after choosing gui installation, i got the following two errors:
1) assertion (heads > 0) at disk_dos.c :485 in function_probe_partition_for_geom() failed 96

2) assertion (sectors <= 63) at disk_dos.c : 490 in function_probe_partition_for_geom() failed 96
install exited abnormally.

could someone please help me out on this one?
i'm trying to install on an amd 3500+ with msi rs 480 motherboard with 1 gb DDR 400 mhz memory, 160 gb SATA and 40 gb ATA hdds.

thanx in advance...

nach p

Journeyman
Varun
Just choose text mode installation instead of GUI mode.
Type "linux text" and enter.It may solve u r prob.

There can be a problem of media so have you checked your cds before installing.If not,then type "mediacheck"and enter.
If possible then give more details regard to drives u selected and when it shows error.

OP
varunbhide

varunbhide

Broken In
yes, i did a media check and it showed no problem.
i already have win xp installed on my 160 gb SATA and now i want to install linux on the 40 gb ATA hdd which is on ide 0 as a slave with another sony combo drive on the same cable as a master drive.
the hdd is formatted in 2 partitions (done in win xp) 1st partition is 18 odd gb and the remaining on the 2nd partition (but part of it was corrupted and reduced in xp).
so now what do i do?

Kniwor

Learner
put the hard disk as master and try....
and digit has given fedora core 4 later... why not install that

eddie

El mooooo
1) Always use HDD as master. Never connect it as slave to an ODD.
2) Disconnect your SATA drive and then try the installation (most probably it should work on this front).
3) The problem you are facing is a known bug with the parted (partition editor) version shipped along with Fedora 3 & 4 (I have no idea about the situation with Fedora 5).
There are two work arounds to this bug.
a) Boot into Windows XP. Completely wipe the 40GB HDD of all the partitions. Shutdown. Disconnect your SATA drive and then try the installation.
b) Boot from Fedora 3 CD, enter linux rescue mode and use sfdisk to re-partition your hard disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom