Linux Graphics card support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Hello,
I'll be buying a pcie gfx card for my pc.will anyone confirm whether nvidia got supported well in Linux.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Hello,
I'll be buying a pcie gfx card for my pc.will anyone confirm whether nvidia got supported well in Linux.

Depends on your Distro... On a distro like Sabayon.... Your Graphic card should work like a charm.........Same with FC......

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
thx guys.I felt Nvidia too got problems with 3D in Linux;although their binary drivers serve the purpose.No way do I buy ATi for there work in making it miserable for their Linux users by not providing support either by opening h/w specs(OSS driver) or a good binary driver.
*www.phoronix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2357
thx again.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
^^ It WILL work on EVERY linux distro..

I have an Nvidia IGP.... it didn't get detected on UBUNTU dapper even after a lot of struggle....... So, I personally don't agree with that....

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^ u can try those restricted drivers?even i thing there is some OSS drivers for nvidia na?(NV something)

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
^ u can try those restricted drivers?even i thing there is some OSS drivers for nvidia na?(NV something)

Firstly, I was stuck with vesa... The moment I changed vesa->nv ... X wouldn't start......

I tried installing the nvidia drivers using synaptic, but that too didn't work..... As a result, I was stuck with a bad resolution.......

Anyway... Mine is a nvidia IGP, Geforce 6100. Maybe nVidia IGPs have lesser support in Ubuntu... I'm sure you'll be able to get the 7600GT or for that matter any new PCIe card without a problem...... Best of luck.....

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Ur card seems running in Ubuntu/Linux fine.
see below link for 6100:
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=134402&highlight=6100

The reason my efforts had always failed, it appears, was b/c the amd kernels and nvidia's binaries were not working well together. my first efforts were with the amd 64 kernels. Later, I switched to the k7 kernels under 32-bit but still no go. Due to another post:
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=6100
I figured there must be something i'm fouling up. On a hunch, I went to the 686 kernel and voila it worked! BTW, in case someone wonders, I did download the nvidia driver for each respective kernel. At least for me, it turned out that it worked only under the 686 kernel. Now I have everything working!

Edit: I mentioned in the post before that the 6100 was not supported by the nvidia driver. I said that b/c the 6100 wasn't listed as supported by the driver on nvidia's site. But obviously i'm wrong.
*ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=804043&postcount=4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom