Linux for Intel 433 Mhz machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinayasurya

Journeyman
I need a lite linux distribution for my friend. He has a Intel 433mhz machine with 256 MB RAM and a 40 GB HDD. The chipset is Sis and audio is from ESS 1969 onboard. The distribution should mount windows automatically, play mp3 video cds, supports NTFS partition access in Windows. These are necessary things as he is new to Linux. Also the installation should be user friendly.

champ_rock

champ_rock
any linux distro should do... provided u dont use gde or gnome desktop environment bcos they r heavy on sys usage..

there are other desktop environments also.. xfce etc.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Not out of the box... It has to be added..

I recommend Vector Linux SOHO.... Its the fastest on low end machines

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can try Vector Linux. It is based on slackware. It comes with IceWM, FluxBox and XFCE4. It is well optimised for old hardware.
It has some good tools like VASM, Gslapt. But, you cannot run GSlapt without root permission and there's no indication of that. Same applies to USB drives.
You can get more from www.vectorlinux.com
System requirements *distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/docs/miscellaneous/version_table.html

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Go for puppy linux without hesitation. The killer feature being it doesn't need to be installed, all settings are saved automatically. size: 60mb

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
champ_rock said:
any linux distro should do... provided u dont use gde or gnome desktop environment bcos they r heavy on sys usage..

there are other desktop environments also.. xfce etc.
are you kidding? GDE is the one of the lightest I use, KDE is the heavy one...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
QwertyManiac said:
are you kidding? GDE is the one of the lightest I use, KDE is the heavy one...
Nope GNOME is heavy too. It takes much system resources. You won't feel it with the high end computer you possess but if you use the type of computer he is using you will know the difference. Or for that matter even kato found a big difference in GNOME and xfce on his P3 and I think 256MB RAM. Now, think this person using a even slower computer with lesser RAM.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Gnome is also heavy made The light ones are

EDE,WindowMaker,Fluxbox.afterstep

twm and sawfish are really minimal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom