Linux counterpart for task scheduler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
I am planning to get 7.10 ubuntu. I have 7.04. I want to know if it has task scheduler kind of program always running.
I am looking for the following things.
1. highly reliable. (atleast better than xp sp2)
2. ability wake up from shutdown or hibernation.
3. abiliy to run programs in wine. (optional)
4. abiliy to hibernate/shutdown at specific time.
5. ability to sudo when required (optional)
6. simple bash shell like language if its command-line only (optional)

If there are processes/daemons which may interfere with waking and hibernating please guide me on what to do.
Laptop config:
core centrino duo 1.83ghz,512mb ram
intel 945gm chipset, connexant hd audio, 950 gma onboard.

Sykora

I see right through you.
I'm pretty sure cron can do all of them except being able to wake up from shutdown or hibernation. But I'm not too sure about that. I'm sure about the others though. I'll do a bit more reading and get back to you.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah, cron will do all that. but the ability to wake up from shutdown/or hibernation is not its feature. it should be supported in the bios. one the computer wakes up and linux, (if you haf dual boot, set the linux distro as the default and let it load) is loaded, cron will take over.

praka123

left this forum longback
hibernation- :( it is still pain in distros as it turns buggy for most except few supported.check at ubuntuforums.org regarding ur mobo and hibernate option.

for cron,there seems gui's too like gnome-schedule.but u must read man 5 cron :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
adithyagenius said:
I am planning to get 7.10 ubuntu. I have 7.04. I want to know if it has task scheduler kind of program always running.
I am looking for the following things.
1. highly reliable. (atleast better than xp sp2)
2. ability wake up from shutdown or hibernation.
3. abiliy to run programs in wine. (optional)
4. abiliy to hibernate/shutdown at specific time.
5. ability to sudo when required (optional)
6. simple bash shell like language if its command-line only (optional)

If there are processes/daemons which may interfere with waking and hibernating please guide me on what to do.
Laptop config:
core centrino duo 1.83ghz,512mb ram
intel 945gm chipset, connexant hd audio, 950 gma onboard.
there is no need to install any extra programs but inbuilt cron will be able to do this.

install ubuntu & then see
btw, welcome to the club!:)

OP
adithyagenius

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
I want to do it on a laptop but the BIOS has very less options and nothing about waking from hibernate. I ran a dummy task on windows xp using task scheduler and enabling "wake up from hibernate/standby to run the task". Waking does work on my laptop. I want to do it with ubuntu.
Thanks for reminding me of cron. I thought something newer had come out .. maybe cron improved. I will check out ubuntuforums.

OP
adithyagenius

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
I know that. I was just stating that I cannot change the power settings from my BIOS. My hardware supports wake up since windows xp can do it. I spent 2 hours searching net and ubuntu forums and found nothing. So no use of installing ubuntu. I am going back to XP

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
adithyagenius said:
I know that. I was just stating that I cannot change the power settings from my BIOS. My hardware supports wake up since windows xp can do it. I spent 2 hours searching net and ubuntu forums and found nothing. So no use of installing ubuntu. I am going back to XP
yes windows XP is Good for You:)

vish786

"The Gentleman"
praka123 said:
hibernation- :( it is still pain in distros as it turns buggy for most except few supported.check at ubuntuforums.org regarding ur mobo and hibernate option.

for cron,there seems gui's too like gnome-schedule.but u must read man 5 cron :)
yeh i too miss hibernation in ubuntu :(... i mostly use hiberate only

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
vish786 said:
yeh i too miss hibernation in ubuntu :(... i mostly use hiberate only
try this *www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Hardware/Mini_HOW_TO_Hibernate_and_resume_0

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
But nothing wakes up a computer from Hibernation except pushing the power button, or some bios settings. You must've been using the SLEEP mode on XP instead!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
QwertyManiac said:
But nothing wakes up a computer from Hibernation except pushing the power button, or some bios settings. You must've been using the SLEEP mode on XP instead!
haven't you heard about this???
Auto Poweron & Shutdown is an easy to use application that allows you to control your computer resume from power-off state (hibernation) or wake up from sleep mode (stand by).
*www.lifsoft.com/

vish786

"The Gentleman"
QwertyManiac said:

eh... :confused:... after hibernation... for me both works...
move the mouse/keyboard... system wake up... and
after hibernation i can also switch off.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Moving mouse/Pressing a key is to initiate the computer from Sleep, not for Hibernation. Hibernation is like Shutdown, only BIOS, LAN or Power Button can wake it up that way. Maybe some software which changes the BIOS settings can apply too but never mouse/keyboard actions. I've never seen them work on my Laptop when I hibernate it.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
just now tested hibernate option on 2 pc's they work the same way i mentioned above... moving mouse/keyboard wakes them up.... but it boots from bios
the thing what ur talking about is standby/sleep mode....

OP
adithyagenius

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Ubuntu 7.04 has hibernate. I have ubuntu installed on virutalbox. It can hibernate and resume well.
@QwertyManiac
Windows task scheduler can resume from hibernate.

Okay. People seem to be misunderstanding what I want to do with hibernate.
I have been using windows Task Scheduler to autmatically download using BSNL Home500, from 2am to 8 am without any user interaction. I come home only once a week and rest of the days I stay in college.
1. To wake up from hibernate simply change the properties of the task like
connect to internet at 2 am( rasdial "BSNL" "<username>" "<password>" ) by putting a tick mark next to "wake the computer to run this task" in the "Settings" tab. I also make my task scheduler run utorrent.exe at 2:02am
2. At 7:55 am I use "rasdial BSNL /disconnect"
3. At 8:00 am my computer hibernates using "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate"

I want to know how to do the "wake the computer to run this task" in ubuntu 7.04 or any other linux(please name).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom