Linux: 9000 PCs in Swiss schools will switch to Ubuntu only

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
From next term, all computers at schools in the Swiss canton of Geneva will have MS Windows removed and will only run Ubuntu Linux and FOSS. Director for the schools IT services sees this move also to "encourages participation and the democratization of knowledge " and provide equal opportunities.

Read More......

Via Digg

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Good News

The only thing which bothers me is the rate at which Ubuntu is being adopted in these schools which dump windows. Slowly Linux = Ubuntu for a large number of people.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft has earned a failing grade from school districts in Oregon and Washington, where administrators say the company's licensing tactics could force a rapid move to open-source software.

Educators in both states received letters from the company in March giving them 60 days to perform extensive audits in search of unlicensed software, or risk facing potentially costly penalties. The letter came with a marketing brochure touting the company's latest volume-licensing agreements.

Read On.........

Last edited:

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Microsoft has earned a failing grade from school districts in Oregon and Washington, where administrators say the company's licensing tactics could force a rapid move to open-source software.

Educators in both states received letters from the company in March giving them 60 days to perform extensive audits in search of unlicensed software, or risk facing potentially costly penalties. The letter came with a marketing brochure touting the company's latest volume-licensing agreements.

Read On.........

I guess this article was written on Jun 2002.. not relevant at the moment..

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
What's so great about it?
from a linux(not me) point of view - the more linux/ubuntu gets adopted the more attention and hence more support it will *get . Specially regarding hardware

kumarmohit

Technomancer
For once I agree with NucleasKore. The way people are adopting Ubuntu, it is going to outshine some of the really better distros (I would not take names but there are better distros for sure) just because of the fact that it has a bigger marketing budget than the overall budget of some really great distros.

I do not say that it is an immediate threat but if people start thinking that Linux = Ubuntu, some really good aspects of the entire GNU/Linux concept would be gone for good.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOOD NEWJ!!!
My fav OS rox again!!I am waiting for my cr@ppy school to switch to Lin.Win 98 sux
Abhi bhi Win 98......:lol:

Anyways, a great move by them.

Lets see when CBSE revises their computer and make it Linux based....Like it had happened in Kerala.
If they do so, all the CBSE affliated schools will have Linux.....

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
For once I agree with NucleasKore. The way people are adopting Ubuntu, it is going to outshine some of the really better distros (I would not take names but there are better distros for sure) just because of the fact that it has a bigger marketing budget than the overall budget of some really great distros.

I do not say that it is an immediate threat but if people start thinking that Linux = Ubuntu, some really good aspects of the entire GNU/Linux concept would be gone for good.
That's not really a problem. Problem is the roadmap followed by Ubuntu. It's trying go to idiot friendly way. Linux has always stood for user friendly and not idiot friendly. And ubuntu QA has come under a lot of backlash from linux community these days. That's what is scary.
Rather ubuntu is doing a service to linux community by gaining confidence of people who matter cos that is likely to get more hardware to become linux friendly. Only as long as they don't enter into NDA's and special contracts thus getting binary blobs Made For Ubuntu(TM).

kumarmohit

Technomancer
So you mean that it is oversimplified!

My point wast that the variety of Linux is its main strength. If Ubuntu takes the position in Linux community which Windows has in Operating Systems, we would have trouble.

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
So you mean that it is oversimplified!

My point wast that the variety of Linux is its main strength. If Ubuntu takes the position in Linux community which Windows has in Operating Systems, we would have trouble.
Buddy that not gonna happen, Linux Disintegrates Faster than it integrates.

Poeple first liked Ubuntu, now they are liking Mint which is based on Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom