Lifespan and usability/Dead machine (Notebook) after 2-3 years AMD vs Intel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiteshlastm

Broken In
I'm about to buy my HP G6-2010 AX with a AMD quad core processor, i searched market a lot and the one thing that is most common to all of them is that they all suggest to keep away from AMD machine....one of them told that we don't sell stuff that will be garbage or waste ~ dead machine after 2-3 Years.( Specially Laptops )
I'm very much disappointed by the way they treat AMD Machines.
Therefore i'm here........
So digitians what is your personal experience with AMD machines....if you are a owner of some notebook/desktop and using it from many years...please do share your experience.:|

Thank you !!!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Amid all marketing politics, Intel has always been favoured by Indian retailers, and they force customers to opt for the same giving them wrong info.

Frankly its time to jog on; we're not living in times of pre-athlon days. AMD and Intel make equivalent products, each having its plus and minus.

I am using an AMD machine (desktop) from ~3yrs which is running problem free till date.

Hrishi

Have both of them.
Intel running since almost 4 years like butter.
AMD based netbook going good as well after an year precisely.

dsmarty

Journeyman
I have had a Intel desktop (Celeron) for 10 years. It was a beast. I used to play all heavy games on it, it worked like a charm. My next PC was AMD Athon X2 Desktop, used for 2 years and still using. Both of them are good. I use it for heavy gaming, it handles all new games without any problem. But Intel always has a upper hand in performance.
And retails will suggest you to buy intel because, it costs more = more profit. :p

If budget is not a problem and you want high performance in your applications, go for intel. If gaming is what you want, then AMD is more than enough. Don't just blindly choose a computer based on the brand name.

xs.dhaval

Broken In
I got my HP G6 2500 AX yesterday at 35,500 from Chroma, with 2 years extended warranty at 2,500.

My Previous Compaq CQ40-144TU intel core2deo had sever hard drive probs after 6 years.
Would work very fine if changed the harddrive.
Battery died in two years.
I ran it 24*7. Gave it just 12 hours rest for a week. Pretty tough laptop. Intel lasts longer.
I used it very carefully though. Loved my laptop. Cared like a baby.

(I dont think AMD is gonna last 6 years+ as Intel one. but- )
AMD HAS heating probs, but if you keep it clean, use cooling pad, not overclock it, if not expert, it will last longer.
(Confused.)

Intel is more reliable, but price is higher than AMD. Middle class geek here.

My amd runs at around 55C without cooling pad. (Winter here, 25C to 32C)

AMD Rocks. Tech savvy people should buy AMD. Others should go for Intel, its worth the money.

Last edited:

dsmarty

Journeyman
I got my HP G6 2500 AX yesterday at 35,500 from Chroma, with 2 years extended warranty at 2,500.

My Previous Compaq CQ40-144TU intel core2deo had sever hard drive probs after 6 years.
I ran it 24*7. Gave it just 12 hours rest for a week. Pretty tough laptop. Intel lasts longer.

AMD HAS heating probs, but if you keep it clean, use cooling pad, not overclock it, if not expert, it will last longer.
(Confused.)

AMD Rocks. Tech savvy people should buy AMD. Others should go for Intel, its worth the money.

My intel i5 laptop runs at 43 degrees without cooling pad. Room temperature : 26 degrees
;)

OP
H

hiteshlastm

Broken In

(Confused.)

Thanks for sharing your experience.....
Did you mean by HP G6-2005AX ???

Gtb93

In the zone
Used to own a CQ40-415AU.
AMD Athx2, onboard HD3200.
Used to use that thing 24/7 like xs.dhawal, probably for 3-4 weeks in a stretch before turning it off even.
It worked perfectly for over 2 years, with NO issues at all. after the 2 year mark, there was a slight overheating issue, but I was making it run the new intensive games for very long period. A cooling pad solved that though. At the 3 year mark almost, it's screen died, that's the only issue it faced.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No issues. Don't listen to idiots out there.

Closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom