Latest Hardware Prices & Quotes..!!

nads

Broken In
guys need to buy a aftermarket CPU cooler cant decide which one to go for..... my specs r....

AMD phenom II X2 550BE
Gigabyte MA78GMUS2H
4GB RAM DDR2@800Mhz
250 GB HDD Seagate
2 DVD RW Drives
VIP 600W PSU
Case is Zebronics Reaper

m planning to overclock my cpu when i m playing games i can do 3.7Ghz on stock voltage n cooler n m getting temps of 55-56C..... (which is ok in my opinion) but i want to goo further n increase the voltage..... i have 3.8Ghz stable at 1.625V but the temps then go to 58-59C n i think if i will be overclocking n the temp hovers at 60C its not gud for the cpu life (m intending to keep this proccy for another 2 yrs) hence the decision to go for an aftermarket cooler i luv the core contact cooler but the height of 155mm is too much for my cabinet (bloody cabinet dosent have much space vertically+ the side fans intrude inwrds)..... so if u guys could recomend me a ghud air cooler will appreciate that.....

m looking to set 2 HDD in RAID 0 config for my system each drive should be 500GB n have narrowed down to WD 500GB with 32MB cache...... could u guys pls tell me the price n is it ok with this choice..... n is the PSU sufficient..... or should i go with 1 HDD... please comment.........

NB: what do u guys think abt this sunbeam Tuniq Propeller 120 CPU Cooler .....

Krow

Crowman
Thermalright Ultima90i is a good option for you. I would not buy a VIP 600W PSU although it is sufficient but it is not reliable. Reaper... damngoodman999 has the same case and he could fit the ASUS Silent Knight in it. Look for the OCZ Vendetta 2 which is better than CCF if it fits that is.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ nads - RAID0 give significant speed improvement. So if you have a 120mm front fan atleast stick with raid 0 but not that your all data will lost if any one HDd carches though. If don't need too much dfaster game loading time then you can stick with 1-1.5TB singl HDD :p

nads

Broken In
thx guys for ur reply.....

@krow----- thx for ur recommendations but i dont think they will suffice asus silent knight is not a gud cooler i checked out the reviews ( but it looks awesome) Thermalright Ultima90i is gud but not the best bang for the price n it dosent come with a fan thats a big disadvantage n it increases the cost a lot..... i just wanna know if a 160mm cooler could fit in my cabinet anyone has tried it or not because if i purchase one then no one will take it back if it dosent fit..... if i remove my 120mm fan from my side panel then i have an exactr 165mm distance from the proccy to the side panel after closing it..... but still i m afraid of taking a lunge..... the coolers i have narrowed down are sunbeam core contact freezer 120mm iit costs around 2700/- n its performance is really gud in the region of thermalrights ultra 120 u can check it out here *www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2271 there is also a 92mm core contact cooler but its efficiency is not as gud as 120 *www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2386&page=4 i also like the Tuniq Propeller 120 CPU Cooler but i m unable to find any reviews i really like its design but dunno how will it perform in real world as i told u i need functionality over looks.....

@topgear i m aware of RAID 0 disadvantges but i want faster seek times for games n specially FSX which i m using..... i need to know one more thing topgear how much effect will Cache memory have on real world performance cause there r 16MB n 32 MB WD drives pls advice me which one to go for 16MB cache 500GB is costing me 2700/- n 32MB Cache 500GB is costing me 3000/- so is it worth the difference......

lookin forward to ur reply.... ADIO...

nads

Broken In
thx KROW for ur recommendation i suggest u see this chart *www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2279&page=4 the SCCF is much better n it has 4 heat pipes 1 more than the vendetta so i guess thats an advantage.... the vendetta is no doubt quiter than the SCCF but i dont mind the sound ( cause will be overclocking it only when have to play games) but my options r open any other HS for me pls let me know.....

Krow

Crowman
The SBCCF is a great cooler no doubt, but quite a few people have complained about installation problems. IMO its a bit of a dicey buy, but it does the job well. You may buy it as it does perform well.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ nads - if you want the best then your best bet for AMD cpu is TRUE 120 do note that it does not come with a fan so you need buy a separate 120mm fan.

nads

Broken In
thx guys for ur recommendations really appreciate it..... @topgear r u talking about the thermalright ultra extreme 120 (m didnt understand TRUE 120 if thats an acronym)..... no doubt thats the best cooler out there nothing can beat it..... but my problem is that my case isnt very roomy n TRUE 120 wont fit in my case number 2 it costs like 3200 minus the fan which i have to purchase n that will add to another 600bucks for a quality one..... so the total price come to around 3800 which is a lot for an air cooling solution IMHO third m not going to keep an overclocked cpu for 24x7 only when the demands come.... m pretty much satisfied with the performance it gives but i wanted to keep my proccy cool as much as possible.... so TRUE 120 was out of question... now see the pros of SCCF 120
--- it comes bundled with the high quality MFDB fan (its black though would luv an LED one)
---it comes with a fan controller which we can adjust the speed (TRUE 120 lacks)
---n it costs 2500 bucks (TRUE 120 3800 including the fan thats a diff of 1300)

anywayz i already got the SCCF 120 yesterday evening after much pondering n luckily it fit my case (there is only 5-7mm gap between the case n the side panel) i have to forgo my 120mm side panel intake fan though n i attached that fan behind the case to pull the air directly from the SCCF 120 exhaust air..... installation was like hell i still have bruises from the heatsink fins on my palm..... it was that tough really (this is my first aftermarket cooler) i dunno if u install all coolers that way but i was sweating like hell due to all the muscle wrenching i was doing with the HS to latch it up...... n secondly i was afraid if the motherboard was bent or what not so it was pretty tense but it was done.... n i m pretty happy with it cause my temperatures have dropped like 18C than the stock AMD HS which has left a grin on my face i can overclock my Phenom II X2 550BE to 3.7Ghz on stock voltages n m getting temps of 41Cpreviously this would go to 58-59C on stock cooling undergoing a stress test on OCCT..... was afraid of cranking voltages on stock HS but will do it today..... n here r the results which i got (preliminary types but once when the Tuniq TQ2 will set in properly after some days use it will give a lower temp...
ambient temp 33C
idle temp (lo spd fan)---33-34C
( high spd)----28-29C
17min stability test in AMD overdrive utility 100% cpu
load temp (lo spd)----46-47C
(high spd)--40-41C
one more thing my computer is in a room where there is no air conditioning..... so i guess the performance will increase n we will et to see lower temps if that were possible...... anyhow m really having a big grin on my face n will give u the results in a day or 2......

NB: what do u guys think of the temperatures pls let me know if its normal or on the higher side since this is the first aftermarket HSC i have so not much of n idea..... ur comments r welcome......

thx.... @krow n topgear for helping me out......

Krow

Crowman
thx guys for ur recommendations really appreciate it..... @topgear r u talking about the thermalright ultra extreme 120 (m didnt understand TRUE 120 if thats an acronym)..... no doubt thats the best cooler out there nothing can beat it..... but my problem is that my case isnt very roomy n TRUE 120 wont fit in my case number 2 it costs like 3200 minus the fan which i have to purchase n that will add to another 600bucks for a quality one..... so the total price come to around 3800 which is a lot for an air cooling solution IMHO third m not going to keep an overclocked cpu for 24x7 only when the demands come.... m pretty much satisfied with the performance it gives but i wanted to keep my proccy cool as much as possible.... so TRUE 120 was out of question... now see the pros of SCCF 120
--- it comes bundled with the high quality MFDB fan (its black though would luv an LED one)
---it comes with a fan controller which we can adjust the speed (TRUE 120 lacks)
---n it costs 2500 bucks (TRUE 120 3800 including the fan thats a diff of 1300)

anywayz i already got the SCCF 120 yesterday evening after much pondering n luckily it fit my case (there is only 5-7mm gap between the case n the side panel) i have to forgo my 120mm side panel intake fan though n i attached that fan behind the case to pull the air directly from the SCCF 120 exhaust air..... installation was like hell i still have bruises from the heatsink fins on my palm..... it was that tough really (this is my first aftermarket cooler) i dunno if u install all coolers that way but i was sweating like hell due to all the muscle wrenching i was doing with the HS to latch it up...... n secondly i was afraid if the motherboard was bent or what not so it was pretty tense but it was done.... n i m pretty happy with it cause my temperatures have dropped like 18C than the stock AMD HS which has left a grin on my face i can overclock my Phenom II X2 550BE to 3.7Ghz on stock voltages n m getting temps of 41Cpreviously this would go to 58-59C on stock cooling undergoing a stress test on OCCT..... was afraid of cranking voltages on stock HS but will do it today..... n here r the results which i got (preliminary types but once when the Tuniq TQ2 will set in properly after some days use it will give a lower temp...
ambient temp 33C
idle temp (lo spd fan)---33-34C
( high spd)----28-29C
17min stability test in AMD overdrive utility 100% cpu
load temp (lo spd)----46-47C
(high spd)--40-41C
one more thing my computer is in a room where there is no air conditioning..... so i guess the performance will increase n we will et to see lower temps if that were possible...... anyhow m really having a big grin on my face n will give u the results in a day or 2......

NB: what do u guys think of the temperatures pls let me know if its normal or on the higher side since this is the first aftermarket HSC i have so not much of n idea..... ur comments r welcome......

thx.... @krow n topgear for helping me out......

Post pics.
Did you buy SBCCF or Tuniq ?
TRUE 120 that I own was for 2.8k, so plus fan becomes lesser although still expensive.
Temps at high speed fan are OCed ones right? If yes, then GREAT temps.
Please use shorter paras for your posts, makes longer ones easier to read.
Installation has been a complaint by many users for SB coolers. I installed my TRUE 120 without much difficulty horizontally although vertical installation is a bit difficult.

Use Intel Burn Test (linpack) for stability test as it is the one test which will give you highest temps. Run it with max ram usage. The test is completed in around an hour max (was half an hour for me).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ nads - the temps you are getting with SBCCF 120mm is just great ( is it with OCed speed ? ). For system stability and load temp test run prime95 for an hour atleast and post the load temp with some screenshots. use a app called coretemp to measure the idle and load temps correctly.

As for HDD go for the 32MB buffer models. For just Rs. 300 more they worth every bucks you pay.

BTW, don't forget to check out these two thread :p
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121070
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121310

Last edited:

nads

Broken In
hey guys thx.... n yes the temps which i posted were @3.8 Stock voltages(was able to get 3.7Ghz at stock Voltages on stock HS @3.8 was not stable)..... i m attaching OCCT linpack test results here with CPUZ screenshot..... didnt test with prime 95 but will get it done once i get time but i think OCCT linpack is sufficient.... m able to extract more fps in FS9 FSX (its a cpu intensive game)..... @ topgear will go for the 32MB Cache HDD as u suggest but how much is the peformance diff would like to know that.....

@KROW i have purchased Sunbeam Core contact Freezer 120mm not the new tuniqs ( i like them though) one more thing i would like to share with u guys is that when i was using the stock AMD cooler with the horizontal HS my cabbie temps were 1-2C higher than the ambient temp.... with the SBCCF it is now at par with the ambient temp... tht relates to gud airflow in the cabbie... so m pretty happy with that tooo.... here r the pics of the SCCF cooler notice how close it is to the side panel barely made it.....

Pics of SCCF 120mm------ *img694.imageshack.us/g/dsc06400.jpg/

CPUZ validation link------- *valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=817307

OCCT linpack test--------- *img22.imageshack.us/g/2009110814h44cpu1.png/

pls give ur feedback.....thx

NB: guys as u can see from the cpuZ screenshot the voltage is 1.408V but in AMD overdrive utility it shows 1.350V (i havent touch voltages yet its at default honest) could someone explain me.... m i missing something....

Last edited:

se7en_sg

S E 7 E N
Hi,

I am looking for a decent PCI Sound-Card with 5.1 channel support within a budget of 2K - 2.5K.
It'll be used mainly for games, movies, etc.

Please suggest some brands/models..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ nads - Nice temps and screenshots :p

More HDD cahe really improves performance if you are working with large sequental files most of the time like installing games, loading game contents, big images and CAD/CAM and multimedia files of those animations apps like maya or 3Ds max. As of now I just cannot provide you any link but digit guys have tested HDDs on mag and on those 32mb cache HDds models outperformed their 16Mb siblings. Also 32MB hdds has lower access time.

nads

Broken In
Thx @ topgear..... n will be going with the 32MB Cache drives 500GB HDD..... topgear one more question.... is there any performance difference between WD blu n green series apart from the low power consumption of the WD Green....

can anyone pls tell me why r the DDR2 RAM rates have gone sooo high...... n when we will see them drop again..... need to purchase DDR2 1066Mhz..... whats the price in mumbai feeling lazy to find out at lamington.....:grin: ( i dont need performance modules value range from kingston or transcend will suffice)

Top Bottom