KIC 8462852 - The WTF Star with possible Alien Superstructures

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
The Most Mysterious Star in Our Galaxy - The Atlantic
This anomalous star system detected by the Kepler Mission defies any natural explanation

Boyajian, the Yale Postdoc who oversees Planet Hunters, recently published a paper describing the star’s bizarre light pattern. Several of the citizen scientists are named as co-authors. The paper explores a number of scenarios that might explain the pattern—instrument defects; the shrapnel from an asteroid belt pileup; an impact of planetary scale, like the one that created our moon.

The paper finds each explanation wanting, save for one. If another star had passed through the unusual star’s system, it could have yanked a sea of comets inward. Provided there were enough of them, the comets could have made the dimming pattern.

But that would be an extraordinary coincidence, if that happened so recently, only a few millennia before humans developed the tech to loft a telescope into space. That’s a narrow band of time, cosmically speaking.

And yet, the explanation has to be rare or coincidental. After all, this light pattern doesn’t show up anywhere else, across 150,000 stars. We know that something strange is going on out there.

When I spoke to Boyajian on the phone, she explained that her recent paper only reviews “natural” scenarios. “But,” she said, there were “other scenarios” she was considering.

Jason Wright, an astronomer from Penn State University, is set to publish an alternative interpretation of the light pattern. SETI researchers have long suggested that we might be able to detect distant extraterrestrial civilizations, by looking for enormous technological artifacts orbiting other stars. Wright and his co-authors say the unusual star’s light pattern is consistent with a “swarm of megastructures,” perhaps stellar-light collectors, technology designed to catch energy from the star.

“When [Boyajian] showed me the data, I was fascinated by how crazy it looked,” Wright told me. “Aliens should always be the very last hypothesis you consider, but this looked like something you would expect an alien civilization to build.”

- - - Updated - - -

Forget Water on Mars, Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' orbiting star near the Milky Way

icebags

Technomancer
Im thinking a local Nodal Hub from The Rama Series, like a local space port

the size of jupitar could only block 1%, its getting blocked by 22%.

it could only be done if megatron were building something with the cube. by flattening a planet or something .....

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I always thought, what if District 9 scenario were to be developed IRL, where would we run?
Looks like it's not far now. But what would Aliens want from our cosmically insignificant planet?

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
the size of jupitar could only block 1%, its getting blocked by 22%.

it could only be done if megatron were building something with the cube. by flattening a planet or something .....
oooh, didn't realize it's so big.
that's what she said

but the Nodal Hub collects specimens of all the populations in a galaxy. So, it is big enough to host chitauri, prawns, transformers, arachnids, kaiju and formics all at once.
It's one of the few intermediate size structures smaller than a dyson sphere but bigger a deathstar or a borg cube

the remoteness of the discovery, and the current route this news item is taking irrespective of whether or not it is really aliens, leads me to believe that eventually humans will accumulate plenty of tantalizing hints, there are already many and mounting evidences for intelligent life having to be out there, but there will never be confirmation, and never any direct communication or contact

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My first assumption is that the star could be orbiting a black hole much larger than itself. That would explain why it was not visible for prolonged amounts of time because it moved behind the black hole.

- - - Updated - - -

[YOUTUBE]OKnpPCQyUec[/YOUTUBE]

The YOUTUBE bbcode is not visible on my PC for some reason.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
My first assumption is that the star could be orbiting a black hole much larger than itself. That would explain why it was not visible for prolonged amounts of time because it moved behind the black hole.

That's already ruled out.

icebags

Technomancer

thats actually because, the star would be found moving in a circular path around bh, but they are saying the object is orbiting star, not the star itself.

unless its a mini bh, with little mass to orbit a star...... well, they are not exactly telling anything like this either.

:-D so, transformers theory still rules.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
mini bh, with little mass to orbit a star......

Dude, black holes have close to infinite gravity. A star will have no chance against it.

This will happen:

*petchary.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/3023_journey-edge-universe-1_04700300.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Lol it is funny, they made a telescope to look for earth like planets, but the condition is that the chances of finding signs of intelligent life is so remote, that statistically, the mission is never supposed to find any such sign.
What Are the Odds of an Alien Megastructure Blocking Light From a Distant Star?
so It is really weird, because it cannot even be artificial. Now what is left.

Top Bottom