Katawa Shoujo (Disability Girls)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
*katawa-shoujo.com/res/logo-over.png
Katawa Shoujo is a bishoujo-style visual novel set in the fictional Yamaku High School for disabled children, located somewhere in modern Japan. Hisao Nakai, a normal boy living a normal life, has his life turned upside down when a congenital heart defect forces him to move to a new school after a long hospitalization. Despite his difficulties, Hisao is able to find friends—and perhaps love, if he plays his cards right. There are five main paths corresponding to the 5 main female characters, each path following the storyline pertaining to that character.

So, who are the characters involved in this drama?

Hisao Nakai (The protagnoist)
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_hisao.pngTroubled over his months-long stay at the hospital after his heart almost gave out and trying to adjust to his new surroundings, he is trying hard to find his place in world. After being thrown into a new beginning, the chaotic circumstances have forced Hisao to rethink his apathetic disposition, especially regarding things like life, friendship and future.

Emi Ibarazaki
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_emi.png Despite being left with legs amputated below the knee, Emi is perhaps one of the most cheery, happy-go-lucky girls on the entire globe, let alone the school. Not one to be left in despair even after the accident that claimed her legs, Emi views her disability more as a blessing, her prosthetic legs having brought her to the heights of her ability on the track team rather than becoming a permanent obstacle.

Hanako Ikezawa
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_hanako.png At a young age, Hanako had a traumatic experience that left her life in shambles. Her father died when their home burned down in an accident, which also disfigured Hanako herself permanently. She is reclusive to the extreme, shunning from all other people to the point of actually panicking from any social contact. Her only trusted friend is Lilly, who has taken Hanako under her wing ever since the two were introduced to each other.

Lilly Satou
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_lilly.png Blind since birth, Lilly is caring, responsible and friendly - the perfect foil to Hanako, her best friend, whom she shares an almost mother-daughter relationship with, in addition to her free time often being spent drinking tea alongside her companion. In class she is a diligent student, with her sense of confidence serving her well in her role as class representative of class 3-2.

Rin Tezuka
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_rin.png Since Rin’s arms are tiny stumps due to a severe birth defect and subsequent surgery, she uses her feet and occasionally her mouth to do everything, which includes painting. Because of her disability, using skirts is tough, so Rin is wearing a boy’s uniform at school. Her creativity is matched by her philosophical streak: Rin is fond of occasionally getting lost in thought and giving voice to abstract ideas about man, the universe, and other things that thoroughly confuse people.

Shizune Hakamichi
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_shizune.png Strong willed and forceful, Shizune is definitely the leader type. She’s been the class rep, despite being deaf and mute, for as long as her class has had one, and generally takes charge in just about any situation she’s placed in. Shizune is known around the school as a fearsome taskmaster, and skilled manipulator, but also as a fair and just leader.

Shiina “Misha” Mikado
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_misha.png Misha is the interpreter for Shizune and a fellow member of the student council. Cheery, playful, and never one to pull a punch, she happily joins in Shizune's attempts to get Hisao onto the student council.

And then we have a few minor, recurring characters.

Kenji Seto
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_kenji.png Borderline hikkikomori, Kenji likes to spend a lot of time in his room, planning for whatever the radical feminist movement's next move may be. He is leery of the instant attraction that Hisao seems to have brought upon himself, but nonetheless very pleased to finally have a hallmate.

Nurse
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_nurse.png The chief of the nurse staff of Yamaku, and a surprisingly young person for someone in his position. He is a funny and jovial guy, always a good for a laugh and well liked by students. Nonetheless, he has a heart of pure gold and he is very passionate and serious about his job.

Akio Muto
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_muto.png Both homeroom and science teacher of 3-3, and just as much out of touch with his class as he is out of touch with reality. Probably born to be a teacher (no matter how much his students disagree), his greatest skill is the ability to ignore irrelevant things completely (no matter how much anyone who wishes he'd remember their names disagrees).

Yuuko Shirikawa
*www.katawa-shoujo.com/res/char/char_yuuko.png Yuuko has serious problems with managing her life, which makes her the perfect person to ask for help to manage one's own. She funds her university studies by working part time at a popular cafe. The lengths she goes to avoid being fired for her natural clumsiness bewilder other people, along with her neurotic attention to detail and frequent streaks of depression.

So, what is this actually about? I have you the summary with a few useful links in there, but sometime that isn't enough for people. Hisao Nakai, the main character that you will view the story from, has a heart attack one day and wakes up to find that he suffers from Arrythmia, a serious condition of the heart that causes abnormal electrical activity in the heart, usually to beat too fast or slow. After staying in the hospital for four months, leaving his hospital room unassisted less times then you have fingers on one hand, he is cleared to leave the hospital but is informed that he won't be going back to his usual school. Upon the recommendation of his doctor and parents, he is transferred to Yamaku High School, a school that has facilities meant to deal with kids that have unusual conditions. Hearing all this, he immediately sets himself up for disappointment and the worst, whatever that may be...

Some history of Katawa Shoujo is necessary, because it's amazing that the project is even this far into development. The game does come from 4chan, in a sense. Back in 2006, someone colored and translated a single page that was a concept design (assumingly) tossed aside by a doujin company who was publishing an unrelated manga. It was put in as a bonus along two other pages that have yet to be seen. In 2007, it was posted on 4chan's /a/ board. For some reason, /a/ went batshit for it. They started putting out ideas, drawing stuff, going all kinds of crazy for ONE page of concept art. Several people decided to take the helm of these ideas, against impossible odds of it actually succeeding, and, through events that can be read here, "established" Four Leaf Studios. While at this point they are truly a separate entity from where they once came, the name is a tribute. If you actually take the time to read that link, it's amazing the project even has a demo. It seems things are stable now and the VN is continuing onward.

Considering I wrote this much, I might as well toss out my personal opinion of it. When I first downloaded and installed it I played for three hours. I can't remember the last time I sat down and read a book for three hours. I can't say that the writing was totally gripping and had me by the balls, but it was interesting enough and most of all, I was still amazed that this as an amateur team doing something like this. While I only have one experience to go off of in terms of what is professional and what isn't in the VN world (I played through Tsukihime a few years ago), I was impressed. The art and writing were great and I didn't see any real flaws in what was going on. It was really good, and the complete opposite of everything you'd come to expect from a VN if you've been on the internet long enough.

Hopefully you'll enjoy Katawa Shoujo. I did and am patiently waiting the final product, which I'm assuming will be free because this is an amateur project. According to the developer blog, it will be [del]more than a year until we see a final product[/del] [del]coming out January 4th! It's been a long time but it releases next year.[/del]

*3.bp.blogspot.com/-tn4cZd3AQiY/TwPXnwlNueI/AAAAAAAAAbw/YIhOzXODND4/s1600/katawa_shoujo_release.png

It's released. Click the image above for a link to the blog post with the downloads. Torrent and DDL are avaliable.
Katawa Shoujo Dev Blog

Game Torrent:
Windows version: *dl.katawa-shoujo.com/gold/[4ls]_katawa_shoujo_[windows][C3798628].exe.torrent

Linux version: *dl.katawa-shoujo.com/gold/[4ls]_katawa_shoujo_[linux-x86][EA1DFB30].tar.bz2.torrent

Mac version: *dl.katawa-shoujo.com/gold/[4ls]_katawa_shoujo_[mac][0B31CA0B].dmg.torrent

Arc Flowcharts

Katawa shoujo full flowchart V2.7
Act 1 V2.7
Rin's arc V2.7
Shizune's arc V2.7
Hanako's arc V2.7
Lilly's arc V2.7
Emi's arc V2.7[/QUOTE]

Credits to Feuver.

Soundtrack Download:
*katawa-shoujo.com/download.php

Alpha Build Screenshots
*imgur.com/a/U0QxX

Useful links (sprites, bgm, sounds, fonts etc):
*r-a-dio.com/ks/
*renpy.org/
*butsic.us.to/katawa/

Taken from Facepunch thread started by the user "Banned?".

Last edited:
OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Can't decide which path should I choose: Hanako's or Rin's ?

Story is simply brilliant.

Last edited:
OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Well, for one, there are good endings and bad endings on each character's arc.

Krow

Crowman
Isn't this illegal? posting torrent links of anime games

It would have been better had you checked out the blog before posting. Anyway, this is a free game. 21 devs from across the world got together for one game.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Awesome, the game uses words beautifully. Music And Story is nice.
I wish we had more control of the character (Like Persona 3/4)

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Some fan art.

Gaben Misha
*i.imgur.com/pKOMm.jpg

Misha Pseudogiant
*i.imgur.com/jO1Q2.jpg

Misha
*filesmelt.com/dl/26b1.png

Kenji
*i.imgur.com/FU3aG.jpg

Rin
*i.imgur.com/kmfpx.jpg

Hanako Alice
*i.imgur.com/1jUC1.jpg

Rin Necromorph
*i.imgur.com/eVwaz.png

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Dunno but you might want to checkout the thread on facepunch forums, or I will have a peek at it. But AFAIK nothing comes closer to this in terms of story and the attachment with characters.

Top Bottom