Jolla smartphone with Sailfish OS coming to India; Snapdeal inks exclusive deal

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Finnish smartphone company Jolla and e-commerce marketplace Snapdeal today announced an exclusive partnership to launch the Jolla smartphone in India.

Jolla is a new Finnish smartphone running its independent operating system, Sailfish OS. Based on the heritage of Meego, an open source operating system formerly developed by Nokia among others.

The Jolla smartphone with its distinct button-less design, Sailfish OS gesture-based user experience, and Google Android application compatibility will be available in India exclusively on Snapdeal within a month, the company said in a statement.

Jolla smartphone with Sailfish OS coming to India; Snapdeal inks exclusive deal - Financial Express

-------------------

From reading some other reports my initial impression was that Jolla were launching their second device here. But it looks like it will be the same device. I am not sure it will be a good deal and there may not be a significant market.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
You cannot compare Asha and SailfishOS based Jolla. Asha was lower end and Jolla is mid to high end. Further Jolla is almost a complete OS under the hood. You could theoretically run proper desktop applications there!

saswat23

Human Spambot
Here you go: Jolla Features and Specs

Buy it: Jolla Smartphone @ snapdeal

I wonder how well it will sail.
16.5k is not jsutified IMO.

sujoyp

Grand Master
16k for an unknown brand and unknown OS is not at all a good price...sailfish OS is good although :)

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
It is catering to the fan base now. I would have easily bought it a year back even at 20K. Now I would rather wait for the second generation.

$hadow

Geek in making
I wont pay even 6k for this be it 16k. No proper dev support OS is still under develpoment

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
it has full android app support unlike BB10 because it supports google play etc fully
as for softtware etc it is running a modded version of Nokia's MeeGO and is now a mature OS
as for hardware,Jolla was started by Nokia employees who were removed when the Meego project and symbian were revoked and windows phone division became their sole OS division,so i guess it should be a great product but its too early and slightly pricey
though i think its trustworthy given it has a large marketshare in europe
id wait for them to mature a bit more

apparently its a linux distro and is actually what linux on mobile should have been
even though it shares the linux kernel with android,it is actually better optimised and if it takes off,it could give a great competition to android,too early to speculate it though
it handles stuff better than android despite it having a dual core snapdragon and 1gb ram and even battery life is better
the price however is a putoff and moto g 2014 is more vfm for now
also people are porting sailfish os to other phones especially stock android phones,so moto g 2014 might actually be a better buy as it might get sailfish os

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
16k for an unknown brand and unknown OS is not at all a good price...sailfish OS is good although :)

thats what i was thinking. people rarely sink so much money on a new brand but with a relatively unknown OS, this will only attract fans. Even they may have second thought about paying 16k. But doubt they'll have much of an expectation for the first phone. Maybe preparing for future products, market demands, etc.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I don't know, 16k seems to be a rather good price. Given that Sailfish can also sideload Android apks. Just look at the UI of Sailfish, it's absolutely buttery, nothing disgusting like Android. The gestures are lovely too. Just that the phone's camera is kinda below average, which might led some people off from it, and probably it should.

Just don't compare everything with anything guys.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
^^ But still its walking its baby steps and Price tag is quite a Blow!!!

Mate remember the old Cupcake days? Android was a child back then too, now look at where it is. Back at that day was Android phones cheap because the OS was immature? Give them time. I have confidence in both of these Sailfish and Tizen.

The price will seem high to us because at same price Android phones with more or less endless features and customisability are available (I am not talking about quality of features, but just numbers), but think from their vantage point, they need to make some profit to do improvements in future.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
There is another aspect to consider - while Android was effectively bankrolled by Google's revenues Jolla people have to depend on the money generated from sales alone.

Top Bottom