I've got 50-60k to spend. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
So, here are the options:

1) Get a decent laptop.
2) Get a computer. I think, I can buy a pretty decent configuration in this budget. I only need to buy Cabinet, PSU, Mobo, Processor, RAM and Hard disk. I already have Graphic card, monitor and other stuff.
3) Get an AMD Fusion netbook and Samsung Galaxy S-II. Tired of my Nokia 5800 now although it still does the job.
4) Get a good DSLR camera. This is something which I have always wanted to own.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
4th, it's a whole new experience.

I too have 5800, don't really need a phone except for listening audios.

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
hey ico, there is a possibility that you might be moving to some place away from home for your engg right? in that case OPTION 1 will be very practical in the long run. Or else buy a laptop directly in your 3rd year when you really will need it for engg stuff.

PS:in engg colleges most people get their laptops only during the end of 1st sem, so if happen to have a laptop from the start, you might just endup in the situation where 20 people are cooped up in your everyday!! :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
That 5800 SHOULD be replaced. Don't go for SGS-II yet. Wait for it to get stabilized in the market and buy it ONLY when it touches 27k mark or less. Anything more than 27k does not make sense. Do note that SGS II is not so great when it comes to photography and if you are more interested in photography than in smart phones, you better go with D7000.

PS: What if you buy D7000 and it turns out that you are not that big fan of pro photography?

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
how many PC/laptops you got? & still want more? planning to open some cafe or what?

well, you got enough computing power. opt for a DSLR + S2 if budget allows.
well, my father is uses a much much better computer and laptop than me.

I only use a Mac mini and a very old Acer laptop.

That 5800 SHOULD be replaced. Don't go for SGS-II yet. Wait for it to get stabilized in the market and buy it ONLY when it touches 27k mark or less. Anything more than 27k does not make sense. Do note that SGS II is not so great when it comes to photography and if you are more interested in photography than in smart phones, you better go with D7000.

PS: What if you buy D7000 and it turns out that you are not that big fan of pro photography?
Yes, I know what kind of camera I am getting with D7000. Besides, I need something which would take me away from computers.

Krow

Crowman
Why are you bent on starting at D7000? DSLRs are not everyone's cup of tea because of their steep learning curve. IMHO you should start at entry level DSLRs before moving on to the pro ones. You would be much better off starting at the EOS 550D or D5100 honestly.

Another problem with DSLRs is that the body is many times the minor investment. Be prepared to shell out as much as the body if you want good lenses. The kit lenses are never enough. Better start with a superzoom camera and upgrade as your way with manual controls. :)

In case you still want a DSLR, start with Canon EOS 550D. Avoid entry level Nikon cameras as a lot of people say that good lenses are not available for them. I read somewhere that Nikon plays a lot of lens politics.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
hey ico, there is a possibility that you might be moving to some place away from home for your engg right? in that case OPTION 1 will be very practical in the long run. Or else buy a laptop directly in your 3rd year when you really will need it for engg stuff.

PS:in engg colleges most people get their laptops only during the end of 1st sem, so if happen to have a laptop from the start, you might just endup in the situation where 20 people are cooped up in your everyday!! :)
yup, there is a good possibility that I'll be moving away from home. But an equally good possibility of me not getting the branch I desire in the college of my choice. So, I'll have to think a lot.

Why are you bent on starting at D7000? DSLRs are not everyone's cup of tea because of their steep learning curve. IMHO you should start at entry level DSLRs before moving on to the pro ones. You would be much better off starting at the EOS 550D or D5100 honestly.

Another problem with DSLRs is that the body is many times the minor investment. Be prepared to shell out as much as the body if you want good lenses. The kit lenses are never enough. Better start with a superzoom camera and upgrade as your way with manual controls. :)

In case you still want a DSLR, start with Canon EOS 550D. Avoid entry level Nikon cameras as a lot of people say that good lenses are not available for them. I read somewhere that Nikon plays a lot of lens politics.
Honestly, I have always learned things through unorthodox ways. example, Arch was the first distro I used. I very well know what I'm getting with D7000.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I agree with the unorthodox ways. The default kit lens with D7000 is versatile enough to keep you occupied for months. Be prepared to experiment and travel.

Donate...charity... :)

No... direct help (mostly non monetary) is much better than donation where you don't know the routing of your money :smile:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
if your computing and gaming needs are met as of now, go for DSLR if you are into travelling.computers/laptops/mobiles get out dated pretty soon so no need to invest too much into them.upgrading your existing rig is fine.

I mean I would have done this with the amount of money if I was at your age (but now, I will stash away half of it in savings ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom