Italian navy flag on ferrari

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Ferrari denies making a political statement having the Italian navy flag onits F1 cars

Marque says flag is there in hope Italy and India can settle a political dispute

Two Italian sailors were arrested after incident that left two Indian fisherman dead

(CNN) -- Ferrari's team principal Stefano Domenicali has insisted there is no"political intention" in the Italian marque's decision to bear the country's naval flag on their cars at the Indian Grand Prix.

Both Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa will carry the symbol on their livery, a move that has been interpreted as a message of support for two Italian navy officers arrested after an incident that resulted in the death of two Indian fishermen in February.

The officers are understood to have mistaken the fisherman for pirates who they thought were trying to attack an oiltanker they had been protecting. They were jailed in March and later bailed ahead of their trial.

Ferrari posted a statement on their website on Wednesday that read:"Ferrari will carry the flag of the Italian Navy on the cars driven by Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa in this weekend's Indian Grand Prix.

Aww we are getting offended !
source:Ferrari denies Italian navy flag on F1 cars is a political message - CNN.com

Last edited:

Renny

Padawan
re: Italian navy flag on ferrari

First of all your title is totally absurd, its Ferrari and their flag issues. Two innocent Indian fishermen (our countrymen FYI) were gunned down by trigger happy Italian sailors. We arrested them and prosecuted them and now Ferrari decides to put up their country's naval flag.

This is an insult against the dead sailors and WTF is the reason behind putting it up if not to send a political message? Keep politics the hell out of sports. Moreover Ferrari could have sported the flag in their own county, just don't pull this sort of crap in India.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

What the heck is with the title of this thread!
Lol Nanducob ... and wtf the statement in first post suppose to signify? "Aww we are getting offended !" :?

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

strange. i thought people here would post a mahabharat on how indians "Over react" to "petty" things.good to know what is right and what is wrong :)
i can understand putting a country's flag on an f1 car.but a country's navy flag?they sure do mean something by that

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl

Ive been seeing news like this for a long time,this time i wanted to share.
All i want to say is that we are taking silly things too seriously, at least for this time.let them protest with the flags,because we have jailed those who are responsible for those shootings.Ferrari has claimed that theyve put Japanese flags on cars,during the earthquake year.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thread title changed. Next time give a proper title to a thread.

Coming to the topic, I don't care about the Italian Navy's flag on the car. I don't care even if it's not there. ;) Much ado about nothing.

I do care about the lives of the fishermen though. Perhaps Force India could do something?

Krow

Crowman
Yeah, those sailors shot at fishermen. Awwww we're getting offended? If your family members are killed, won't you feel offended by such a gesture?

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Its funny how people can find a small flag in a car and relate it some shooting.Call me dumb,coz even if someone told me that it was the italiian navy flag,i wont be able to relate it to the shootings,because those shootings were like 5-6 months ago,all the dust was settled(no offense to the dead) and is it the time to protest?Also theyre Italian and unlike India(where we buy plastic flags on august 15th and throw off to the roadsides when our patriotism has settled down,later) theyre free to put whatever they like.Maybe we' re little jealous about how other countries use their flags and we've not seen enough flags on cars,so we tend to cry.Its the media who are making cliches about those different ways that we can 'get offended'.Last time when Oprah came here and asked if we(Indians) eat with our hands and then next moment weve got offended !Why ? Do we eat with our #%@*?
I dont 'always' want the media to tell me when i m getting offended.
So in this case my answer will be a 'no'.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
ahm...
in any "offensive" case you have two options
i)retaliate
ii) ignore
our people choose the latter
anyways, who cares about some random dead fishermen eh?:rolleyes: :wink: . we should not dwell on things of the past :rolleyes:
Its funny how people can find a small flag in a car and relate it some shooting.Call me dumb,coz even if someone told me that it was the italiian navy flag,i wont be able to relate it to the shootings,because those shootings were like 5-6 months ago,all the dust was settled(no offense to the dead) and is it the time to protest?Also theyre Italian and unlike India(where we buy plastic flags on august 15th and throw off to the roadsides when our patriotism has settled down,later) theyre free to put whatever they like.Maybe we' re little jealous about how other countries use their flags and we've not seen enough flags on cars,so we tend to cry.Its the media who are making cliches about those different ways that we can 'get offended'.Last time when Oprah came here and asked if we(Indians) eat with our hands and then next moment weve got offended !Why ? Do we eat with our #%@*?
jealous?we've not seen enough F1 cars of our own country let alone flags on cars :grin:
the tone which she used must be like "do you indians wash your a$$ and eat with the same hand ewwww."

mastervk

In the zone

If you read the report Ferrari team has told that they have put flags in support of 2 Italian marines imprisoned in India.

Flash

Lost in speed
The Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi welcomed the team's act. On Twitter he congratulated Ferrari on the initiative to carry the symbol of the Navy at the Grand Prix in India as this would show the sailors that the entire country is behind them. However, the Italian press called him the mastermind behind the event lobbied by politicians.

Ferrari mixes sport and politics against India - English pravda.ru
Surely, on purpose!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good to see, people are yet to post something against Sonia Gandhi relating to this. :lol:

Has it been the other way around the European press would have gone wild. We should have lodged an official protest, even mildly, talking about influencing something sub judice or like. Even referring to Kashab and how neutral our judiciary system is would have been accepted.

aloodum

Journeyman
I sometimes really wonder what is GOI's take on the whole matter..IIRC the Italian marines on the oil tanker mistook them for somali pirates..thats right..somali pirates in kerala!
... the poor boat was atleast 100m from the ship and it apart from the two victims who were steering the boat, all other fishermen were sleeping.
A warning shot is enough , shooting to kill is another. Im very sure the Ferrari boss was well aware of what went down there.This was simply a brazen display of political view.

The Indian F1 honchos should have least put faces of the dead fisherman on the giant LCDs/projection screens.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
What's the hue and cry over Ferrari using the Italian Navy's Flag on their cars? IMO, the culprits are being trialed, AFAIK, the kins of those dead have reached a settlement and have got huge compensation probably more than what the deceased could have earned in their lifetime.
Did anyone quit eating out in italian restaurants or Pizzas or pastas in protest of ITALIAN sailors killing Indian fishermen?
That was just an accidental incident that happened.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the hue and cry over Ferrari using the Italian Navy's Flag on their cars? IMO, the culprits are being trialed, AFAIK, the kins of those dead have reached a settlement and have got huge compensation probably more than what the deceased could have earned in their lifetime.

So according to you, killing innocents is OK as long as the compensation doled out is significant?

Did anyone quit eating out in italian restaurants or Pizzas or pastas in protest of ITALIAN sailors killing Indian fishermen?

Why didn't Ferrari refrain from participating in Indian rally in protest of the trial?

Lastly, I hope if the Pakistan cricket team visited India and wear some logo/slogans supporting Kasab, Afzal Guru, or those militants killed in J&K etc. that will also be OK to you.

Flash

Lost in speed
@cyberkid: That's not the right way to show your support for them. This is about the nation's reputation in supporting their sailors in an unconventional/undesirable way. Compensations may fade in less than a year, but not the pain of the families, when they lost their own son/father.

If ferrari stayed away from the comment, on their Navy flag - this mess couldn't have happened.

Top Bottom