Italian navy flag on ferrari

vkl

Cyborg Agent
How big the compensation be it can't be compared to lives of people.

It doesn't matter what ferrari have on their cars.Coming to the ferrari's comments,maybe they have seen something which makes them think that their sailors were innocent.Let ferrari do what they want.They have done it in a peaceful way.What matters is how our judiciary handles the case.

Lives of fishermen and judiciary is way more important what luca de montezemolo has to say.
The thing which now matters is that there should be fair trial.If found guilty those sailors should be given severe punishment.
But our judiciary is pathetic.We know that from how Kasab case is being handled.Guilty people are not punished as severely as it should be.When was the last time a rapist and murderer was given death sentence?Take the case of Bandu Baburao Tidke.
Does the Government even care about a fisherman's live?I don't think so.When a celebrity dies every cabinet minister and PM shows condolence(not saying that it is wrong),but what about farmers and fishermen and others?At least they deserve a fair trial.

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Was expecting this.
It was not me who demanded compensation. The kins of those who died chose to settle in and demanded compensation from the Italian Government. It was not me who kept the compensation above innocent lives, but the kins of those dead in that unfortunate incident. I am the one against it (in most cases).
Also, I did mention that it was an accident and not intentional (As per media reports).

@ skud:
So according to you, killing innocents is OK as long as the compensation doled out is significant?
I did maintain in the post that it was an accident (as per the media reports-I'm no insider into this incident).
Why didn't Ferrari refrain from participating in Indian rally in protest of the trial?

It was Ferrari's job to participate in the GP.

Lastly, I hope if the Pakistan cricket team visited India and wear some logo/slogans supporting Kasab, Afzal Guru, or those militants killed in J&K etc. that will also be OK to you.

Please read my post carefully before commenting on it. I maintained that it was an accident. I never supported killing/murdering people. Also, it d
epends, if the Pakistani Cricket team visiting India wearing logos supporting an innocent muslim man/boy killed/held for alleged involvement in some bomb blasts or killings, it'll be ok for me.

Things here are not that clear as we think. Most of the times, it is the media which is responsible for such reactions. Media, AFAIK, most of the times shows only one side of the coin. If you read the wikipedia article about that incident, and gave a rational thought, you would probably have a changed thought.
To an extent, the protest of Italians and Ferrari is also justifiable, as according to their law,
Quoted from Wikipedia Article:
Italy also cited extra-territorial provisions of its laws to claim that the presence of military personnel deployed as VPD aboard the oil-tanker merchant vessel is governed by an Italian law conforming to U.N. anti-piracy resolutions, and hence such personnel are part of the Italian state and thus immune to the jurisdiction of foreign states.[SUP][27][/SUP][SUP][28][/SUP]
[SUP]
So, according to Italian laws, the sailors are being illegally held here in India for an incident which according to them happened in International waters where Indian authorities didn't have any jurisdictional powers.
[/SUP]

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was expecting this.
It was not me who demanded compensation. The kins of those who died chose to settle in and demanded compensation from the Italian Government. It was not me who kept the compensation above innocent lives, but the kins of those dead in that unfortunate incident. I am the one against it (in most cases).
Also, I did mention that it was an accident and not intentional (As per media reports).

@ skud:

I did maintain in the post that it was an accident (as per the media reports-I'm no insider into this incident).

OK, great. Even road mishaps are all accidents, so no need to prosecute the errant drivers. ;) And who is going to judge whether the act was intentional or not? Definitely a court of law as per my understanding which is currently what is happening. Let the law take its due course and time.

It was Ferrari's job to participate in the GP.

And our job to react democratically whichever way we want. Don't see any problem with that.

Things here are not that clear as we think. Most of the times, it is the media which is responsible for such reactions. Media, AFAIK, most of the times shows only one side of the coin. If you read the wikipedia article about that incident, and gave a rational thought, you would probably have a changed thought.
To an extent, the protest of Italians and Ferrari is also justifiable, as according to their law,
[SUP]
So, according to Italian laws, the sailors are being illegally held here in India for an incident which according to them happened in International waters where Indian authorities didn't have any jurisdictional powers.
[/SUP]

How come Italian law is valid on International Waters or India? Lets say I am in Italy and kill somebody, accidentally, will being an Indian give me immunity? I guess not. Even by that, the shooting was simply unjustified. But don't worry, we have seen the ending of Purulia arms drop case in West Bengal. The accused will go scot-free sooner or later.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Lets say I am in Italy and kill somebody, accidentally, will being an Indian give me immunity? I guess not. Even by that, the shooting was simply unjustified
some comic relief to break the tension :)
become a diplomat.you'll get immunity for sure:wink:

coming back to the point
how come people term deaths of unarmed poor fishermen as "accidents"
did the fishermen "fire" on them.no still they got shot?why? because the white-man thinks the brown-man's life does'nt have worth

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
some comic relief to break the tension :)
become a diplomat.you'll get immunity for sure:wink:

coming back to the point
how come people term deaths of unarmed poor fishermen as "accidents"
did the fishermen "fire" on them.no still they got shot?why? because the white-man thinks the brown-man's life does'nt have worth

Point.

Flash

Lost in speed
Yes. There are no accidents!!
They've tried "Who is a perfect shooter" among themselves on those fishermen!

Flash

Lost in speed
Yes, Only the kung-fu panda line alone.
In my view, 2nd point is the most apt reason behind the shooting!

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
How come Italian law is valid on International Waters or India? Lets say I am in Italy and kill somebody, accidentally, will being an Indian give me immunity? I guess not. Even by that, the shooting was simply unjustified. But don't worry, we have seen the ending of Purulia arms drop case in West Bengal. The accused will go scot-free sooner or later.
Italian law is not valid on International waters or in India, it's applicable in Italy only and when someone is in Italy, he/she will think with Italian laws in mind, and that's what Ferrari did, I suppose.
As far as the shooting is concerned, Indian authorities don't even have concrete evidence against the Enrica Lexie or it's crew engaged in the accident, it's just based on the assumptions.
In the aftermath of the incident, the Indian Coast Guard identified four possible ships (Enrica Lexie, Kamome Victoria, the Giovanni and the Ocean Breeze) that could have been involved in the incident.[SUP][79][/SUP] All four ships were contacted by radio and asked if they were involved in a pirate attack. Only the Enrica Lexie responded positively and hence was asked by the Coast Guard to turn around and dock at Kochi.[SUP][79][/SUP] Several Italian sources reveal that another ship, the Greek tanker Olympic Flair, which reported an attempted pirate attack while docked 2.5 miles away from Kerala coast, was never contacted.[SUP][79][/SUP][SUP][80][/SUP]
[SUP]So, this clears that it was totally based on deductive assumptions of the Indian Coast Guard. So, there's a possibility that these have been separate incidents with other one gone unreported. As far as killing intentionally, it is very much possible that the fishermen were mistaken as pirates and were killed intentionally. So, here the intention was not to kill innocent fishermen but to kill pirates. And there's no question of immunity over the killing, whether intentional or unintentional, as the Italian government as well as the navy have ordered a probe into the incident and have promised that if found guilty, the sailors will be trailed for murder.[/SUP][SUP]
From the Hindu
[/SUP]
There were people in Italy who wondered whether the judicial process against the marines was being deliberately delayed. “We know it is not and we respect the judicial process.” Whatever be the judicial verdict in India, the marines would be tried for murder in Italy. Mr. Mistura said the compensation paid to the families of the dead fishermen was purely a humanitarian gesture. It had no penal link. It was understandable that some people had this impression that the families were being sought to be bought. But that was totally untrue. There was also this impression that the Italians were like cowboys who just loved to shoot and did not care for fishermen. ‘This is also totally false.”

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Italian law is not valid on International waters or in India, it's applicable in Italy only and when someone is in Italy, he/she will think with Italian laws in mind, and that's what Ferrari did, I suppose.

Ferrari wasn't in Italy, they were in India. ;)

And there's no question of immunity over the killing, whether intentional or unintentional, as the Italian government as well as the navy have ordered a probe into the incident and have promised that if found guilty, the sailors will be trailed for murder.

And that's what is going on. But Ferrari has already assumed they are innocent which may or may not be true. Are Ferrari using the navy flag in other GPs also? Not aware of. If they don't then this is definitely a political message and rather trying to influence something sub-judice.

I just don't understand the gist of this thread; so complicated! And can anyone tell me the worth of putting Italian navy flag over Ferrari....I mean if it was country flag then again we can understand something but navy flag:-o

Top Bottom