Is there any worth to National pride?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then this thing gets mixed with politics. If we see and do some research, All those Anti-BJP MLAs who lost earlier, are now standing with farmers, to gain there sympathy, as well as defame government. And those in power, are acting so ignorant, making matters worse.

The image of the country is at stake due to this BS.
I fully support farm laws but I also don't support the govt's way of introducing these laws & handling of the protests. It is the handling of the protests that is giving India a bad image globally.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The former is victim complex.
I think what you are defining is just an outcome of conservatism today. By definition, nationalism about maintaining a national identity based on particular culture, tradition, religion, history, etc. So, pride in one's nation would by proxy mean pride in the nation's history, culture, religion, tradition, etc. Nationalism in India served it's purpose to drive out the British by inspiring the public to take pride in the history and culture of India and to draw a line between the British and Indians. Today I think nationalism in India means an obsession with a romanticized view of the past and reluctance to accept modern values.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I think what you are defining is just an outcome of conservatism today. By definition, nationalism about maintaining a national identity based on particular culture, tradition, religion, history, etc. So, pride in one's nation would by proxy mean pride in the nation's history, culture, religion, tradition, etc. Nationalism in India served it's purpose to drive out the British by inspiring the public to take pride in the history and culture of India and to draw a line between the British and Indians. Today I think nationalism in India means an obsession with a romanticized view of the past and reluctance to accept modern values.
You should write more often. Loved how you phrased it.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was legitimate.

Today nationalism is, "go back to monke".

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You should write more often. Loved how you phrased it.
Lol. If only I had time. :)

Just to elaborate what I mean, this is just conservatism taken a bit too far IMO. While there is nothing wrong with conservatism since you must still keep track of your roots, but people need to realize that culture evolves with time. I understand that a lot of people are concerned about western influence on Indian culture, but this is just a natural result of globalization. You cannot really go back because the influence has already taken root in terms of fashion, subcultures, etc. The fallacy I think is that some people believe that such a cultural shift would eradicate Indian traditional culture, but that is far from the truth. Old and new culture can and will co-exist and will continue to evolve more over time. You can look at Japan as an example as a blend of traditional and modern culture.

To reverse the effects of globalization, you have to reverse globalization itself which is impossible IMO. We have gay pride parades, concerts from international musicians, anime conventions, etc in India now and many Indians actually like these.
Today nationalism is, "go back to monke".
Lol.

quicky008

Technomancer
No idea,probably some pretentious,high-handed twit trying to pass herself off as some kind of "desh-bhakth" through her sycophantic and pseudo-patriotic remarks before modi and other delegates.

I think the word they use to describe women like her in the west is "Karen". I can almost guarantee 100% that all of her so-called patriotic fervour is absolutely fake and she doesn't give a damn about the welfare of her country or its citizens,particularly those that are poor or downtrodden.

quicky008

Technomancer
Good for her i guess.What "development and well-being" she and her fellow-commonwealth members will actually foster for the hapless youth of her country is anyone's guess though.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
From what I have learned, problem with this country is that it does not respect its citizens. Only 3% population is paying direct taxes.

A guy scored 4K rank but lost his seat to a guy who had 36K rank, just because of reservation.

Now that guy with 4K rank would surely feel frustrated and decide to leave the country. He goes to other country, there he gets a lot more opportunity for his skill, and has more success there.

All this happened because that guy was not respected for his skill. Even if reservation is implemented, it is done In a wrong way, which paves problems for others.

After that people complain and call all the NRIs as traitors(there are many on twitter) they do this in the name of patriotism.

Just imagine, the image of this country is so bad outside, just because of this.

Majority of ministers etc. Only take care of people below poverty line. But they forget about others. It is like living as a minority.

Also take this for example, the ministers, who are controlling the country, are less educated than engineers, but shockingly earn more than that more educated engineer. Everything is so much messed up here.

I think as more people are getting educated, the EC should make some guidelines that every contestant should atleast have masters in any subject and should also conduct a basic paper with IQ and reasoning questions in it. It will significantly improve decision making.

Edit:- taxes I meant direct tax.

Last edited:

chetansha

In the zone
"Only 3% population is paying taxes"- where did you get this BS ? Every indian pays tax. Direct or indirectly.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
"Only 3% population is paying taxes"- where did you get this BS ? Every indian pays tax. Direct or indirectly.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

I am talking about income tax. And excluding indirect taxes all the direct taxes account for 51.3% revenue, which is used for infrastructure and other kinds of development.

and also, not 3% but rather only 1.5-1.6% paid taxes.

*m.timesofindia.com/business/india-...arendra Modi told,(over 20 years) population.

quicky008

Technomancer
Even if they pay tax, its generally much lower than what they should be paying as far as their actual income is concerned. I know a lot of people who have a huge amount of black money but they pay just a miniscule amount of tax, citing falsely the fact that they have a very low income.

These people, majority of whom are business owners, cleverly conceal their true income by taking help of shady lawyers or employing a host of other deceitful tricks that they have acquired over lifetime of bamboozling and cheating people. And the sad thing about it is that they always manage to get away with it, whereas honest, hard working people who live from hand to mouth are always forced to pay taxes, else suffer dire consequences at the hand of tax authorities .

D

Deleted member 345628

I was under the same opinion as you @Desmond , I actually debated on this with few of my friends and came to a different conclusion now

D

Deleted member 345628

I'm posting their opinions here now :

if we close the gap what pride for then i believe the pride term its for survability. the people that dont hav pride mostly cant survive. is like living in passion. example a kid born in slave system (aka ancient time) is a kid pride to be slave? if so then the kid become gud slave if not, is the kid pride to be alive? if so maybe want to become free man then the kid fight back to proud of him as human. if not then the kid become desperate or kill self.
then a gap to family. are we proud to be in this family if so then mostly we want to safe the family til die. if not we can just ditch the family let them astray or we become astray. :comfyExcited:
:popcornpepe: or any hav different oppinion ?

it same as family bigger aka country / race. but there more political about it. there a war bettween globalist and nationalist. in aspect proudness the nationalist sure love their country survivable like their citizen to get more wealth. when globalist they not stric to country but they stil want to proud exist as family / individual / grub. afterall its gud thing to proud as self/group/country cause all for survival. imagine if president / king in the country not proud of his citizent or all citizent not proud of his county what will become? then a war has startet

another sample for patriot. when u come to other country and at that time u hungry eating a local food there. but.. shit this dish not for me better my country dish. then he open his country restaurant in that country. <- this one of patriot thinking. what a globalist think is? maybe when he eat that lokal food there. hmm its gud but maybe something missing like flavour. then he fuse it to taste better for his country and the country he visits to get more audience aka globalist market.

D

Deleted member 345628

Whether you like it or not, you being a being born in a country makes it a part of your identity, because that is how humans have always worked. No matter how little or how big you being born in a country implies that the country has helped you in some way or the other, whether it being supplying you with infrastructure or culture or just something that the government gives you that you are taking for granted.
Every country has their own standard of living, but it does help you in some way. It is easy to say that you don't need to give shit about your country or quote Einstein about his opinion on nationalism while ignoring that
we have not evolved enough to be a globalist and think everyone is equal
cause in reality people will treat you as an indian in the end, whether you like it or not. you will never be just another human being to some one from a different country. Being proud of your county/origin will help you deal with some shit that is otherwise very hard to do so.
i am not saying that extreme nationalism is corect either. but if you don't care for people of your country there will be very few people who will care for you
if you keep disassociating with others, where does it end, you can go ahead and ask whats the point of having states, whats the point of a family even it's just a bunch of random people who are there just cause 2 retards decided to have sex
if you keep going into that hole it wil never end, and once you stop caring about others you will stop caring about yourself. Living a lonely self loathing life is not fun at all.
So, the reason for a family structure/ a country to exist is just to give an immediate reason for some people to feel some kind of association with a random stranger. It gives them a little reason to care about the other person

D

Deleted member 345628

You can but having the concept of a place you belong to makes it easier

It's never wrong to be proud of where you are from. That's the only way you will make your surroundings better. Cause if you don't care about it you wouldn't care about helping people living with you

Top Bottom