Is there any difference in download speed between wifi and ethernet?

sanny16

Journeyman
Which is better to use - a wifi or ethernet connection for internet? Where do i get maximum bandwidth?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Which is better to use - a wifi or ethernet connection for internet? Where do i get maximum bandwidth?

Just do a speedtest on both Ethernet and Wifi, and decide for yourself.
I think the only advantage of Ethernet is its reliability, which in theory should be more than wireless. So, less chance of a breakup in downloads.

OP
sanny16

sanny16

Journeyman
I have multiple device at home which requires internet connection like cell phones, so i was thinking of using wifi connection via wireless router. Now a days every gadget requires internet access.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Well the speed depends.

if you have a good wifi strength then your max sustainable speed will be your internet's speed, as it internet speed is slower than the wifi or Ethernet connection. my dad's computer is in such a position that it receives less wifi signal, a speed test shows up the results just fine (8mbps) but when browsing the difference is noticeable as it takes longer time for lookup.

so simple answer would be.. if you have good wifi signal strength (2-3 bars on 5) then you will get almost same speed as ethernet.

10/100/1000 mbits doesn't matter when it comes to Indian internet , only now we are seeing speeds up to 50 mbps for that even 100 mbit port will do.

also worth noting is that; even if your motherboard has gigabit ethernet , if your router is 10/100 then motherboard switches the speed to 10/100. so note when buying Router and modems , check if they support gigabit ethernet. also gigabit ethernet would be useful only when you are transferring large amount of data over the local network.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Just do a speedtest on both Ethernet and Wifi, and decide for yourself.
I think the only advantage of Ethernet is its reliability, which in theory should be more than wireless. So, less chance of a breakup in downloads.
+1,for this.

Reliability is a MUST when downloading volumnous ,GB's of data.
Eg: Downloading a Linux OS distro or downloading movies(legal),or huge amounts of data...

mitraark

Decrepit
Well WiFi isn't that unreliable if nothing other than the normal happens, WiFi routers work 24x7 without any hiccup, so if you own the WiFi, and are getting decent signal, it's reliable enough.

Top Bottom