Is Nokia shutting down by 2014-15? :"( Whats the future of Nokia Handset ?

kool

Cyborg Agent
These days i hear from my friends about android only. My most of friends are now using Android Phone.*pcclan.altervista.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/android-logo-white-64x64.png
(out of 10, 8 are using). And they are saying now that "Nokia" *a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1737367154/nokia_reasonably_small_normal.pngwill shut down by year 2014-2015. Is that TRUE? :( I'm using Nokia since 10 years. And right now i've Nokia 5230 with CFW. I'm fully satisfied with it. But when i hear that my friends having battery problem in their Android Mobile from cheap to expensive set. (Galaxy Y to Galaxy S2, NOTE) then i just smile. :lol: all android mobile has Battery problem, overheating problem etc. Then why people just die to buy android handset. I was also planning to buy android set, but most have low PPI in display. then again i my mind get stuck to Nokia.

Guys, what is the future of these cheap android mobile (with overheating, low battery prob, low PPI display) against Nokia (good battery life, high PPI display). I'm planning to buy Nokia 603. But you guys tell me, will Nokia really end by year 2014-15 ? :(

*2.bp.blogspot.com/_fpfGknlVKcc/TUp8eh5FFtI/AAAAAAAABSk/1P3ouxTxP1A/s400/Android-OS-VS-Symbian-OS.jpg

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Well, you get lots of apps with android. One of the reasons people buy it.

If MS doesn't improve Windows Phone then Nokia is more or less dead.

It will still make good low cost phones.

rahul_c

Journeyman
It will not end thats for sure, they have awesome series of windows phone lined up ahead. But future of symbian is definately bloke.
About battery life on android, its not android or handset's fault. It entirely depends on usage pattern. If a person does just text and call, battery will live for atleast two days. But the thing is on android you just cant live without using apps, games or facebook.

clmlbx

Technomancer
Re: ►► Is Nokia shutting down by 2014-15? :"( Whats the future of Nokia Handset ?

nokia is shutting symbian(OS) not company it self. All will recommend now don't buy symbian phone.. buy Android or Windows phone.. which nokia has gone with(windows).

But do remember windows phone has many limitation or say many basic feature are not available yet.. but it is young and it looks promising to me..

to buy a phone.. you should consider only two factor..

what is your budget?
what features are your priority?

then we can recommend best available phone in your budget..

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Re: ►► Is Nokia shutting down by 2014-15? :"( Whats the future of Nokia Handset ?

With the rate Nokia is dissolving it's reputation, it could really close down in the matter of a few years.

About the future of these cheap android mobile... well, it ain't bright. Eventually people are going to learn (maybe by hard way) that cheap Android phones do not deserve to be called even an "Android". They are "LolDroids". :lol:

"Good battery life" of Nokia phones? Well I would call Androids to be a class apart, not to be compared with respect to sheer battery life. Reason being that people would prefer Nokia and Android for two completely reasons.
Nokia is great for teenage boys or girls who do nothing but talk with their bf/gf all day long and for whom the most important reason of having a phone is to shoot pics of themselves while sitting with the model of Mr. McDonald on the bench in a mall, or posing with their dogs or something... (No offence to any teenage boyz/girls, that's just their nature).

But for people who wants the three F's : Functionality, Features and the Freedom to customize to their heart's content, an Android will be their default choice.

And I am not against Nokia. As I believe different brands and OS currently are serving different classes of people having different requirements.

So, your love for Nokia is justified. Just don't loose hope. ;)

mitraark

Decrepit

Close down ?

I don't think any company is close to Nokia sales in the sub 4k market. And for High End , yes Android has given BIG blow to Nokia , but there are still many buyers left who do not know / care abou android and would go for Nokia.

OP
kool

kool

Cyborg Agent

to buy a phone.. you should consider only two factor..

what is your budget?
what features are your priority?

then we can recommend best available phone in your budget..

But within Rs.10k none of android are good. i hope Nokia will launch new phone with android. :)

NoBodyAtAll

Broken In

Relax dude Nokia aint shutting down, its just a rumor, often planted by other companies to hurt sales. Nokia actually has already shut down its Symbian Division...no more RnD...Bella is the final version of Symbian that is aired. Although Nokia will continue to provide support to existing symbian fones out there...it wont be releasing any new update which means symbian fones will gradually age and eventually die out, although cheap fones will remain unharmed because these are the fones that boost a company's RnD capabilities by providing budget. *Samsung is a great example how it moved from simple java fones to smartphones)

Remind you Nokia is still the largest manufacturer of handsets globally and largest seller as well. But as a rule these days Smartphone sales are considered separately and in this field Nokia is still miles behind. Samsung is world leader in smartphone sales.

Regarding Android fones" lemme tell at present android looks the future of fones as a whole...the platform is revolutionary and as the time passes the its penetration into the masses will increase, gradually bringing down the prices very soon u may see decent androids in sub 10k price. Remember 5MP cameras were once found in only what we called luxury fones but with advent of android fones you now see 5mp in fones as cheep as 4k (nokia launched dual sim fone with 5mp camera) You see how it works.

And I hope Android to remain global leader untill we see a truly ''Open Source Software"" which Mozilla is currently developing.

As far as the battery issue is concerned as someone said above it depends a lot on the user....these are certainly not made for people who believe ''fone to sirf baat karne ke liye hota''
Screen= you pickup any droid over 12k and you wouldnt be complaining about ppi,,,,ofcourse nothing compares to AMOLED screen of nokia fones...its simply superb.

I totally dismiss overheating issues you mentioned...they appear only in rooted overclocked droids.

As far as Windows platform is concerned...it has a got a lot to travell before it reaches anywhere near to android/iOS,,,,experts say Windows Magna is Android Eclair...nothing more to say.

If you want to buy a smartphome buy a real smartphone...try an Android and you wont regret. (but buy atleast above 15k) However if talking is all you want to do with a limited smartphone experience go for Windows fone.

I own Samsung Omnia (Windows), Sony Xperia S (Android) and Nokia E6(Symbian)

Nokia E6

ajaymailed

In the zone

These days i hear from my friends about android only. My most of friends are now using Android Phone.*pcclan.altervista.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/android-logo-white-64x64.png
(out of 10, 8 are using). And they are saying now that "Nokia" *a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1737367154/nokia_reasonably_small_normal.pngwill shut down by year 2014-2015. Is that TRUE? :( I'm using Nokia since 10 years. And right now i've Nokia 5230 with CFW. I'm fully satisfied with it. But when i hear that my friends having battery problem in their Android Mobile from cheap to expensive set. (Galaxy Y to Galaxy S2, NOTE) then i just smile. :lol: all android mobile has Battery problem, overheating problem etc. Then why people just die to buy android handset. I was also planning to buy android set, but most have low PPI in display. then again i my mind get stuck to Nokia.

Guys, what is the future of these cheap android mobile (with overheating, low battery prob, low PPI display) against Nokia (good battery life, high PPI display). I'm planning to buy Nokia 603. But you guys tell me, will Nokia really end by year 2014-15 ? :(

*2.bp.blogspot.com/_fpfGknlVKcc/TUp8eh5FFtI/AAAAAAAABSk/1P3ouxTxP1A/s400/Android-OS-VS-Symbian-OS.jpg
An entity like Nokia which ruled global market for decades cannot just shutdown, either it will be sold to somebody or it will restructure, sell its assets, reduce work force etc operate on a much smaller scale. The company still has lot of intangible assets left.

Google itself got Moto, I am sure everyone will be queued up to buy Nokia. But the only question is valuation. anywhere between 10 to 20 billion USD is the entire price for Nokia right now, around the size of facebook IPO.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

No Nokia will not shutdown, just because their Mobile OS failed that doesn't mean it cant come back.. Symbian had a solid grip in the market .. it was the DeFactor OS.. that was till Android Came in. Who know about the future?

I am really pissed of with Android right now.. Why doesn't Google/Samsung Fix their software first and then look for enhancement... its been 1 year since I was able to take a picture form my phone..

Sujeet

Undead!!!

Who is Spreading That Rumor.??

sharang.d

Youngling

Nokia will never shut down man. Symbian might die but not Nokia.

Sujeet

Undead!!!

An entity like Nokia which ruled global market for decades cannot just shutdown, either it will be sold to somebody or it will restructure, sell its assets, reduce work force etc operate on a much smaller scale. The company still has lot of intangible assets left.

Google itself got Moto, I am sure everyone will be queued up to buy Nokia. But the only question is valuation. anywhere between 10 to 20 billion USD is the entire price for Nokia right now, around the size of facebook IPO.

Total Operating revenue for FY 2011 was 50 bn+ USD.

clmlbx

Technomancer

But within Rs.10k none of android are good. i hope Nokia will launch new phone with android. :)

many compare 10K phones with 20K-20k+ phone .. How is that correct.. around 10K there are several options.. compare those 10K around android phones with any other phone in that range and then you will see android will win..

you want to spend 10K and want features of 20K, it is not possible. (nothing personal in general..:|).

Android has much more to offer then any other OS ..problem is once some one jumps from nokia or other phone to android, he/she changes his/her usage too ..one would have never played games on nokia samsung phones..but once he jumps to Android there are many awesome free available games.. so he start playing so the battery is used more.. same goes with Wi-fi. touch smoothness and big screens attract more to web and other features..

If you maintain same usage you do in other phones then you will see battery is not an issue.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon

:bananana::bananana::bananana::bananana:'
Yeaah!Nokia will shut

Sujeet

Undead!!!

:bananana::bananana::bananana::bananana:'
Yeaah!Nokia will shut

LOL.
Instead of being disappointed you are celebrating.
If Nokia Vanishes from market even for a moment the quality of Product from Samsung and Sony will. never be the same as it is now.It will deteoriate.Nokia is a tough compeititor for all those Manufacturer.

Anyways Nokia is going nowhere.:lol:

R2K

In the Zone

Nokia is still going strong as there are plenty of people around for whom mobile is just a device for communication. Believe it or not majority of people doesn't even care about what OS it is running as long as its able to make/recieve calls. And nokia is still the best for those kinda sub 5k phones. I don't know whats gonna happen to phones in that segment when symbian gets stopped after a while. Although its only being used in Asia I think.
Android is for people like us in this forum for whom phones are more of an awesome device that can kinda replace their PC atleast in some aspects . These people doesn't even care if it is even able to/ comfortable to use it as phone as long as it is able browse internet and install a sh!tload of apps to do various geeky stuff. Sad part is its more of a toy for grownups if you look at it. Eg Samsung NOte - You can't use that device to make calls in public in old fashion way of holding the phone near your ears without making people wonder " WTF is wrong with that dude " (

Theodre

In the zone

I heard good reviews on the new nokia smartphones such as the 603 and 700 :)
They are now releasing good hardwares which is often criticised because of the outdated OS :) If they can come up with a New Generation OS or rebuid the old OS, then Nokia still have lots and lots of cards to play :) Don't worry about they being shutdowned! It is not going to happen :)

Anand_Tux

Journeyman

Nokia will have to tough it out. It will not be going to easy for them but I think they will bounce back from this phase. If that happens then the market will become more competitive once again which is now ruled by the ANDROID. Hope this will happen soon :pray: :pray: .

noob

Cyborg Agent

Not surprised. Given the snail pace of WP and crap apps ( its been 1+ year and still apps sucks) its hard for Nokia to survive. News was that they are currently using their $6B cash reserve. Nokia will die because of its own fault. 1. scrapping MeeGo & 2. Elop, the CEO.

Top Bottom