Is Nokia 5230 worth looking at?

rahul.007

bORn To RIse....
hey guys, i am going to buy a cell by 15 may.... my budget is 7.5k(non-flexible).... i went to planet-m and they are selling 5233 for 6.5k and 5230 for 8.3k.... i wanna get 5230 but will it have a price cut in the coming fortnight???? he also showed me corby plus for 7.9k.... so the question is which one is better???? 5230 or corby plus

ziha786

Journeyman
I'd say you go for the Nokia 5230.
The basic differences b/w Corby Plus and 5230 are :
* Corby has a capacitive (more responsive) touchscreen as compared to the Nokia 5230's resistive.
* There are loads of applications for the Nokia 5230 as it runs Symbian 60 OS. Also there are no additional themes for the Corby.
* 5230 has a bigger screen with higher resolution (3.2", 640*360 as compared to 2.6")
* 5230 has dual LED flash with it's camera.
* Corby plus of course has slider qwerty keypad and some SNS apps.
Moreover, Nokia is a symbian phone so you can download apps from ovi store...also nokia 5230 has decent multimedia features.

I'd say you go for the Nokia 5230.
The basic differences b/w Corby Plus and 5230 are :
* Corby has a capacitive (more responsive) touchscreen as compared to the Nokia 5230's resistive.
* There are loads of applications for the Nokia 5230 as it runs Symbian 60 OS. Also there are no additional themes for the Corby.
* 5230 has a bigger screen with higher resolution (3.2", 640*360 as compared to 2.6")
* 5230 has dual LED flash with it's camera.
* Corby plus of course has slider qwerty keypad and some SNS apps.
Moreover, Nokia is a symbian phone so you can download apps from ovi store...also nokia 5230 has decent multimedia features.

Since when ???

nmenon

Broken In
You can have a look at the review of the 5230 posted on page 2 of the Mobile monsters thread. The 5230 doesn't have flash but photographs in well lit conditions are quite good. The Corby's smaller screen and its relative lack of application support is a bit of a turn off, but it does have a physical qwerty which is useful if you message a lot and don't mind a slider form factor.

rahul.007

bORn To RIse....
hey i was just browsing "the mobile store" site.... there they have mentioned nokia 5232.... it has same specs as that of 5230.... whats the difference in both????
i am asking this cauz they have quoted its price as rs 7.6k but 5230is being selled at rs 8.3k at planet m....

nmenon

Broken In
I didn't see any mention of the 5232 on Nokia's Indian site (www.nokia.co.in). The Mobile Store website does have some occassional glitches, could be that. I bought the 5230 at Rs. 8300/- from The Mobile Store in Cochin.

nmenon

Broken In
If you want the features like 3G and GPS you have to go with the 5230. If you don't need them then you can save some cash for the memory card and data cable and go for the 5233. Updating the software (i.e the firmware) on both will iron out bugs. As far as I can see there are no differences between my 3 month old 5230 and a brand new 5233 that my friend has. I updated my 5230's firmware to Version 20.0.05 (the latest update)

talwar

Broken In
Its nice to hear that nokia 5230 comes with car kit...its a nice kit with this phone i just love when i see this kit at nokia store...
*zomgitscj.com/nokia-holder-easy- ... ck-review/

rahul.007

bORn To RIse....
brought my nokia 5230 today.... Rs.7,500 from hotspot.... Can anyone tell me how to use gpa without wasting money on gprs????

raksrules

Youngling
brought my nokia 5230 today.... Rs.7,500 from hotspot.... Can anyone tell me how to use gpa without wasting money on gprs????

5230 has an inbuilt GPS so your GPRS connection wont be used (except for a small initial moment when it connects to the positioning server).
You can use the OVI maps application (remember to load the maps for India, they are not preloaded).
I am also using Garmin XT app which has a voice navigation which helps me find my way in the city.
You can also use google maps which work really well, only thing is that it uses the GPRS/EDGE connection extensively to render the maps from their servers. I am not sure if an option of offline google maps exist or not :S

rahul.007

bORn To RIse....
that means i will have to download ovi maps for india first?? And also do tell me an application to access office documents on my cell...:)

raksrules

Youngling
^^ Yes, you already have OVI maps application but you dont yet have the actual maps of India. To download that you can use PC suite app. Its around 103 MB in size and using PC suite app it will be painfully slow irrespective of your internet speed.
For office documents you can use quick office.

Top Bottom