Is my gpu dying?

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
have read it once but not understood everything.

So instead of doing that level experiment with voltage i will rather test it in another machine and then decide.

How is

Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R7 250 with Boost R7 250 1GB DDR5 1 GB DDR5 Graphics Card

as replacement for this one?

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
GPUs nowadays have multiple modes of operation for saving power. There are separate clocks for Idle, 2D Desktop, 3D, etc. In case of the problem card, when switching from one mode to another it just becomes unstable. This issue is actually prominent in AMD's R7 cards since AMD aggressively tried to save power. Nvidia's cards also have the same issue but to a very less extent and the driver recovers immediately.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
this is the nutshell of the discussion in Tom's? if yes, now i can understand why the clock meter in AMD catalyst software moves from 100 MHz to 800 MHz whenever i open browser, tabs inside the browser etc.
This is like "Kool & Quiet" feature of the mobo. So anyway i can disable this such that the GPU always runs in 800 MHz?

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
No there isn't, otherwise the thread wouldn't have spanned so many pages. A partial fix was suggested in that post linked before.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
GOOD GOD!!

That means : There is no accessible BIOS area for us in GPU board itself like mobo.
So this is a potential issue from the very birth of every card? The company presents it , consumers are gulping it and still there is no solution.

Now the options are to TEST the GPU in another system OR follow Tom's solution OR BUY ANOTHER.

GOD SAVE ME

Last edited:
OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
After a thorough reading of TOM's HW topic i have downloaded MSI AB.

For 2D profile i have set the following.

MSI AB2.JPG

Do i need to make a 3d profile also or it will be taken automatically?

Attachments

• MSI AB1.JPG
    MSI AB1.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOOD GOD!!

That means : There is no accessible BIOS area for us in GPU board itself like mobo.
So this is a potential issue from the very birth of every card? The company presents it , consumers are gulping it and still there is no solution.

Now the options are to TEST the GPU in another system OR follow Tom's solution OR BUY ANOTHER.

GOD SAVE ME

Ever tried this ?
Download TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor v1.28 | techPowerUp

Nerevarine

Incarnate
are you serious ? Its been a month and you havent reached any conclusion.. Stop beating around the bush and test the GPU in another system..

The most obvious step for you do to is test the GPU in another system, 90% of all visual crash cases is because of GPU going kaput..

made this post in 8/6/2015

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
are you serious ? Its been a month and you havent reached any conclusion.. Stop beating around the bush and test the GPU in another system..

made this post in 8/6/2015

Lol Yeah ;), I am actually not amazed that he still haven't figure out the problem after 1 month.

And I am looking at some of the wildest ideas to identify the problem. Flash the GPU bios etc. It seems he will either end up with a bricked gpu or some other component would get bricked.
The way its all going. He might soon get the advice or have to try shorting the motherboard to start it properly. :eek: :thumbup:

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
guys, i am a man of 42 years. I need to maintain a family of five after working 14 to 15 hrs everyday including SUNDAYs. On coming back home i need to sit with my daughter for her exam preparation. After doing all these the rest time is for the computer as it is not my bread and butter.So it may even take six months to solve.

I do not have any friend of my age who is going to give me a machine to test my GPU. So i am bound to wait and do experiments within safe limits. I know BIOS FLASH is a risky business.

So before you comment you at least should ask the reason for the delay.

and yes the Black screen issue has stopped for the time time being after creating the profiles in AB.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Finally, tested my GPU in a new system( phenom II x2 560, Asus m5a78L,Antec vp 500,crucial ballistix)

and it HAPPENED AGAIN.

So can i now take the GPU to be the culprit?

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
now i am thinking of taking a board with IGP 760G so that i do not go blind without a gpu.

Asus
M5A78L-M/USB3

why there is nomore any 880G board?

Last edited:
OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Go with this:

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 -4,553.

Link:GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard - Buy Motherboards Online @ Best Price on Snapdeal.com

i have compared this board with the Asus one. Only 1 feature of the GA-78LMT-USB3 that will be of no help to me is that it's DVI-D port supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200. But my monitor runs at 2k resolution. Or else already thought of buying Giga with VRM heatsink and 8 phase ATX power that are not present in Asus.
Hence going for Asus.

Last edited:
OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Finally, bought : AsusM5A78L-M/USB3 for 4200+ from M.D. Computer. Same Board costs 5200+ in Eastern Logica.

Now it is peace of mind.

Tried to open crysis 3, System says : Require Direct x 11 GPU.

Tried to open crysis 2, System says : UNEXPECTED CRASH MAY OCCUR

Tried to open crysis , It opens but with absolutely non playable fps.

Dare not to open BF4.

My monitor running @ 2k resolution.

So no gaming till i buy a GPU again.

FULL HD (1080P) & Blu Ray MOVIES are running fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom