is it the right time to buy an iPod

Status
Not open for further replies.

hariharan

Journeyman
I have planned to buy an iPod Touch.! Now guys tell me whether this is the right time to buy an iPod Touch. I'm am looking at the 16GB model.

I browsed the internet to find that Apple usually releases the new models around Feb or every year or in the Sept of every year.. Now this Feb has passed and no new models were announced..:-(

Can somebody also give me the history of when iPod prices were affected in India, when ever there was a new model release and also how often can we expect a price change here in india..

Now do i go for the purchase right away? or wait for around 2 months..

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
ipod prices , especially on MAC , u dont need to wait because they ll soon launch the another version generation of IPODS so go ahead

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
My opinion...wait for a while...iPhone 3G is under the hood and will be coming sooner...most probably iTouch will follow too...as you see shuffle has been released 3 days earlier...so you can wait

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
I think iPod Touch will not see an update so soon. Its same September - October I guess. And with iPod Touch 2G Jailbreak being practical now, I dont think you have a reason to wait.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
there is nothing new coming for ipod touch. Go for it. The next major update should be in July or else in December.

OP
H

hariharan

Journeyman
Thanks guys... looks like i can go ahead with my plan, as there is no probable update down the apple lineup for iPod touch in the next few months..

Thanks.

Has jailbreaking been done for the 2nd gen also..?

One more question, how do i differentiate the 2nd Gen from the 1st Gen model, becos the dealers don let me open the boxed package, and I don't trust what ever is written outside the box by these dealers.. Is there any other fool proof way to ensure it is the 2nd Gen model... Thanks again..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Get the ipod touch from Reliance Digital store or apple store.

the second gen has volume up/down buttons on left side (a.k.a volume rocker) and it has slightly curved back, slightly thinner than first gen.

Check for the dimensions:

First gen Product Dimensions: 4.3 x 0.3 x 2.4 inches
Second gen Product Dimensions: 4.1 x 0.3 x 2.4 inches

Also, the second gen touch has oval shaped back antenna and first gen has square shaped antenna on the back

*support.apple.com/kb/HT1353#ipodtouch

OP
H

hariharan

Journeyman
Guys, I have one more question.

Is it possible to connect to the internet through the internet connection in my laptop. I don't have a wi-fi router or a wi-fi net connection. All i have is a wired ethernet connection, and I have wi-fi option in my laptop.

Now can i use the safari in the ipod and the wi-fi in the laptop to connect to the internet.. Is setting up this thing going to be too complicated? If so do i need to get a wi-fi router or awi-fi internet connection..

I have this doubt, becos it would be pointless to get the ipod and not be able to access the internet..

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Ipod can be accessed with the INTERNET , through wi-fi

But LAPTOP has only wi-fi catcher so it cannot be set through by laptop , ANY NET connection with the wi-fi router should need to exhibit the wi-fi

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Just connect your laptop the net thru the wired connection and setup an ad-hoc connection with your iTouch (the laptop and iTouch are connected thru a wireless adhoc connection). Enable sharing on your laptop and you are ready to go :)

A simpler and more future-proof method would be to get an access point for your wired net so that you can enable wireless internet for all of your devices. You can even get a wifi router, which will give you wired+wireless internet. The latter hardly costs Rs.1.5k or so.

But LAPTOP has only wi-fi catcher so it cannot be set through by laptop , ANY NET connection with the wi-fi router should need to exhibit the wi-fi
Lolz.. I don't get a single word of this :D

Last edited:
OP
H

hariharan

Journeyman

I have read in the internet that the laptop can be configured as Wi-Fi hot spot and then this can be used in the ipod touch to connect to the internet... Pls correct me if am wrong..

More details at this link.. Is this really feasible..?

*www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39974

*www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111245&page=2

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Apple now brings us a handy new ipod shuffle, which is even more convenient to lose ;). See Here

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Its damn easy to share my MacBook's internet connection with my iPod. I do that all the time. So you can do it too..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom