Is it really worth buying a costly mobile phone?

Rahim

Married!
A majority of users never use advance features but insist on buying a costly cell just to show off and be in 'the group'.

Cell replacement every 6 months is the norm and i am so distressed seeing youngsters doing/talking nothing but music, photos, MMS, etc. If they have a PC all they do is transfer photos to and from.........
They feel inferior if they dont have THAT mobile.

Very rarely do i find a user who actually uses those high-end cells to it full potential like guys at TDF, which s expected.

Is it worth buying costly mobiles? Yes but soon we know why has he/she bought it for.

saliha

Broken In
Hi...

It is not really worth buying a costly mobile phone.
Buying a costly mobile phone is just a fashion which is held nowadays..
The people who are having lots money can buy..
But mobile phone is only a media for communication..
But people made it a fashion of buying costly and expensive mobile phones,
which is not at all worth..

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Thats what I wanted to say. Its all about show-off. I solve most of the problems of my friends' phones without having one myself.

My college banned "multimedia" phones (read: phones with camera and/or expandable memory).

I gave my Nokia 5130 XpressMusic to my sister and started using a Nokia 2323 that I bought.

How the experience goes then is purely upto the user.

I've friends with N73's who use the phone only for torch and texting along with few calls.

On the other hand I connect my laptop to the internet through my phone (its my lifeline from college hostel to the outside world) and even manage to put the tiny 10 mb internal memory to good enough use. Heck, I even use the phone as a voice recorder and it gives me decent quality records.

When it comes to buying a "costly" phone, I take it to mean two things:

1) You are talking about a smart phone
It then normally means you would have researched on smartphones and bought something that offers you loads of services to use and is worth every penny u pay.

2) You are talking about a "designer" phone
Kinda like some of the special edition phones, gold-coated phones, and some of those phones which are mostly about status. These phones make no sense unless you are earning and/or have money to burn.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
an ad is shown in TV nowadays about BlackBerry mobiles. in that ad its shown the users use it for chatting & pictures mainly. so you buy a 15k-35k (Torch cost around 35k i think), just to click pics. ROFL on that ad.

Blackberry are mainly used for business or showoffs. cause the android party is making its pants wet so they came up with such an ad. the android mobiles or the Nokia N8 ad gives at least some good reason why should considered.

R2K

In the Zone
i own a 5800xpress music and i just use my phone as an expensive alarm clock...i rarely make any calls with it.....occasionally i use it to listen to music. BUT i did not buy my phone to showoff anyway as ppl around me just wanna know if its a blackberry or not?...here using blackberry is like holding a pluck card in ur hand written as ..b!tch i am rich.... .and i hate blackberry phones....

Last edited:

Rohan_B

Journeyman
I have a Nokia 5800 and an iPod Touch 4g 32GB!!
What i feel is that carrying a smartphone in India can be irritating as whenever you take the phone out of your you attract several eyes and i feel quite strange when this happens!!
And to satisfy all your smartphone needs just get an iPod Touch 4g just like I do and all I can say about it is "I am loving it!!"

I'd rather prefer to buy cheap mobile phone (around 10K) and save the money for a small netbook or a tablet....:pP

I agree with ur philosophy man!!
>>Cheers and PEACE<<

Last edited:
OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Well, the discussion going on here is really good but that doesn't answer my question as you guys are telling about "others". I am asking about YOU, the guys here that are students. I have seen many students use a smartphone when they really don't need one.

clmlbx

Technomancer
I believe, this is most useful for students.yes many don't use it to its potential. as now a days mm start from low range. only difference between low end phones and high end phones is quality of product and little more features. most students can't buy a decent camera,ipod, laptop,desktop,phones. can have any couple of things but not all.. so it is better to get one decent phone and get all of it. I am not comparing mobile camera to digital camera.. it can't, but it does a job and u all have it in ur pocket, smart phone is not computer, but u surf internet, see documents and lots of apps for fun and education.. like wifi now a days all malls and showrooms have it and more hot spots so better paying for it u can use it for free, internet is a place where u have fun and learn. touchscreen can be for style but it is ease of use what I believe. In multimedia low range phones is in bottom and laptops,ipods, are at top, so high end phone is in middle,

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Well, the discussion going on here is really good but that doesn't answer my question as you guys are telling about "others". I am asking about YOU, the guys here that are students. I have seen many students use a smartphone when they really don't need one.

as i myself a student, i seek a few points in a mobile that i going to buy (already mentioned but updated post here):

1. Futureproof: in short, 3G & WiFi should be there. so i don't miss de fun-factor.
2. Looks: should look good. not something eye catching but at least such that i don't hesitate to pull out when among my friends :smile:
3. Price: smartphones start from 5-6k & up. can't pay 20-30k for a mobile. nor is my budget so high neither my parents will allow spend so much money on a gadget thats not helpful in studies. but something below 15k (10k will be better) thats real VFM.
4. Build Quality: should survive through day to day life without any problem. should be rugged.
5. Extras: should charge through microUSB port (bye bye Nokia), should have descent music quality (mayn't be best), OS version should be latest & proper interface (not too simple or too complex that i ditch it), camera should be ok, battery should last 1 full day of use.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
currently own a Motorola ROKR E6e (default keyboard sucks, poor battery life) & trying acquire LG OptimusOne.

Last edited:

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
If one thinks he's got a costly mobile then may be no ,having one doesnt make much sense.One is in awe of it,making it useless.

But however,if one owns money to be not able to care about it or actually bother if its costly then definitely, yes go for it.
Your life is your statement and you don't need 100 Gm gadget to flash.

_VascoZ_

Right off the assembly line
Well, the answer depends more on 'who your are' and 'what you intend to do with the gadget'!

I strongly agree with @desibond there, and with @ico too.

See dude, I know MANY people who use a Nokia 5800XM, or a bloody SE Xperia X10, or even an Apple iPhone 3GS to do just 3 things: 1. calls, 2. SMSes, 3. music [not even vidoes]! A 'few' of them use it for social networking as well.

So, if that's all you intend to do, seriously man, you're insulting the gadget you carry! Better get any goddamn 6-7k touchscreen cell from Nokia/Samsung for that ['cos the on-screen QWERTY makes typing easier].

But, if you're the one who pumps out the juice outta your device, and it's not merely another expensive toy to get the 'ooohs and aahs', you use it to read eBooks, check mails, open [and maybe edit] office docs, and much much much more that truly needs some POWER in your hands, it's worth every penny to burn a hole in your pockets dude!

So, as I said earlier, it all depends on what you wanna do with it: insult it by using it as a MBA [over-paid clerk?] or to get every paisa out of it [a soldier you may call it!]. :)

sahil72

Right off the assembly line
Sure, If you are crazy about phones and wanna use them as a music player, gaming device etc. depends on you.

Sarath

iDota
Its best to buy a phone worth 15k. Even if u can afford more expensive phone the newest hardware soon becomes obsolete. Give me an iphone 3G and ill throw it back at you. Give me 3GS and still i wouldnt want it. Only iphone 4. My friend's iphone 3G is the center of jokes now a days a phone that was worth 35k wen he bought it close to an year ago.

But if u fall under the super rich category then non of this applies to you.

But if u have got the money to spend on a high end phone and want it to last long then remember it will not. In a years time or a little more that baby in your hand will look obsolete so choose wisely.

10000/- phones which do the job
or 15000/- for the flaunt
or 20000/- if u believe in falling love with your gadgets
anything more you are too rich too foolish or waiting for a disaster

My own experience: Broke my N85 worth 22k irrepairable now. Own a C7 now 16k gift. Would have bought a decent sub 10k Nokia phone otherwise.

P.S. I dont like iphone. I love the ipod though.

Top Bottom