Is Gaming a Childish Activity? ( In India )

Status
Not open for further replies.

pioneeraaron

Right off the assembly line
Profession : Network Expert (CCNA,CCNP,MCSE 2003)
Games I Like : COD,Quake,Rainbow 6 series,Wolf RTCW,Timeshift,GoW.....lots more..

Again India huh!!...it has happnd to me couple of times wer pepl tell me gaming is childish n all..n a waste of tym...includin my mum also...aftr my 1st breakup games helpd me a lot to overcome rejection n hv made me feel relaxed n happy...since den i hvnt stoppd gaming even a single day..m a war freak...so i luv playin destructive games lyk COD,Timeshift,GOW etc...my 2nd gf always tells me if u dun stop gaming den i wont tok 2 u ever...i told her bing...dunwana tok dun tok..atleast i can game in peace..lol..so shes always lyk m sorry..hahahhahaha....GAMES FOREVER GUYS \m/

nishant1512

Broken In
I cant live without games.
recent games = crysis,crysis warhead , nfs undercover , tomb raider underworld , topspin 2 , gta4:eek: , n many more

16 , student

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I need to comment too:
Profession: IT (Analytics)

The definition of childish is:
child·ish *cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (chīl'dĭsh) Pronunciation Key
adj.
  1. Of, relating to, or suitable for a child or childhood: a high, childish voice; childish nightmares.
    1. Marked by or indicating a lack of maturity; puerile: tired of your childish pranks.
    2. Not complicated; simple.
    3. Affected mentally by old age; senile.
child'ish·ly adv., child'ish·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source

NOW TO ANALYZE THE ABOVE MENTIONED WITH REFERENCE TO GAMING:
(Apologize for benchmarking to FPS only --- since that is my indulgement)

A. Games are not marked by or indicate lack of maturity. Most are rated 17+. Games are based on mature topics (Off planet colonies, scientific experiments gone wrong, alien invasions, time travel, advanced weapon systems, vehicle control). It takes far greater then child level maturity to optimize systems for games(drivers, mods, cracks),change multiple settings, remember complex instruction sets. (At times I write down the key bindings on sticky notes --- for Crysis I did)

B. Games are not simple. Believe me keeping track of multiple weapons and arsenal alongwith health status, viewing maps, planning tasks, shooting opponents, searching for missing object is not simple. It is complex. I am sure players are utilizing their mental capabilities to maximum. Ask anyone who makes a comment about gaming being childish to remember 15+ keyboard bindings and use them at split-second recall..along with mouse gestures (another 5-6 plus)....!

C. Does not make a difference.

We usually have three options here:

A. Ignore (dont listen to the comment)
B. Educate (explain the above mentioned)
C. Demonstrate (show gameplay and explain the complexities)

Choose and be at peace --- AND GAME ON..!

regards,
asigh

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Age: u can count by my User Profile Name....i.e 85 (1985)
Profession: Software Developer in MNC, Part-Time Gamer
Games I like: Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time,Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword,The Thing ,many more titles...:D

Gaming as we all know a different dimension....:rolleyes: so..playin games is just like for
entertainment...njoyment & TP....:cool: just every body does either by goin 2 cinema or watching TV etc....

My father sometimes scold me if i play games 4 long time...like 4-5 hrs...he restricts
me only play it 4 1-2hrs limit...bcoz my eyes will get damaged...sitting 4 long in front
of monitor...hehe ;-)

Playing games is easy...but developing them is damn difficult :cool:

Name: NVIDIAGeek!!
Profession: Student
Games: Crysis [most fav game], Fallout 3, FarCry 2, NFS: UC [don't know why it's so under-rated :confused:], Mafia [:D]
Same here, My father doesn't let me play games for more than 2hrs bcoz eyes'll get damaged [Am wearin' Specs!! :D] :(. I cannot simply switch on the PC & start playing games, I MUST ask permission from him whether should I play or not :|. I sneak and play when he goes to 'Doc.' work :D

I don't think Gaming as Childish Act., One of my friends told me that he had bought GTA 3 & then I told him that Crysis is the most Powerful game, he asked me can it be played with my [his] PC. I said no, 'cause you need to have a GPU. The next day, he told me that GTA 3 requires 64 MB Video Card, he said it ran on my comp.!! Then he asked, "Then Crysis will surely work, no??" :confused:. All those who think Gamin' as a Childish Activity, those are dumba!)e$ :D

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^lol that happens with me too.. my friends think that the only difference between PS2 and PS3 is that the PS3 has a wireless controller.. :lol:

^^
PS3 weighs twice PS2,PS3 is glossy,PS3 has a wireless controller,it eats up more space.
That's the only difference between PS2 and PS3. :D:D LOLUNUBS!
If somebody tells me that gaming is a childish activity then I ask him to sit in front of my PC and finish a game. If it's childish then it must be easy right? Ask those noobs to play FEAR,Silent hill or Dead Space alone in a dark room,they'll pee in their pants before the first level is over.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
^^

its childish to defend a activity that you do for fun.. :D..

You are saying gaming is not childish. maybe not for some. maybe for some. but gaming or game dev is not some childish stuff. the entire movie and s/f industry can sit on one side and gaming industry on one side, the balance would be steady...

thats the might, volume, revenue of gaming industry.

If anyone says that gaming is a childish activity..just show them a peice of OpenGL animation code..a simple wireframe walking itself woulf be enuff for the fools....

Stuff like this is NOT childish..

but crying like a baby and defending your toys is a bit childish.. dont let it bother you...

remember it maybe a time pass in india except for .5% of gamers, but there are some who make more than $100k a year just by gaming. so you can feel safe.

Gaming is not Childs play.

tanmoy_Siliguri

In The Gaming Heaven
@ Sunny1211993

yah.....u r absolutely right friend...

for me not my parents but maximum of my friends tell me why I play game like a child..they tell me that my age is to flirt with girls not playing game..I said them do u know gaming industry is going to cross movie industry..around same amount of money needed for making a game..these are same as a movie project..even the hollywood directors are making games..why they do it?...So,my question is if a man can watch a movie..then what is the problem in playing a game?.....these two are the sources of entertainment....they always critised me..but still I played..I play..& Iwill play..........no one can stop me......

prakash.gourav

Noobness unleashed....
@ Sunny1211993

for me not my parents but maximum of my friends tell me why I play game like a child..they tell me that my age is to flirt with girls not playing game..I said them do u know gaming industry is going to cross movie industry..around same amount of money needed for making a game..these are same as a movie project..even the hollywood directors are making games..why they do it?...So,my question is if a man can watch a movie..then what is the problem in playing a game?.....these two are the sources of entertainment....they always critised me..but still I played..I play..& Iwill play..........no one can stop me......

+1
flirting has its own fun :D
born gamer

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
@ Sunny1211993

Good dedication, i see that you have the same spirit just like me.. ;)

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Let me come in to this

Age => 23
Profession => BCS,MCA,RHCE,CCNA,Software testing - System and Network Engineer
Game i like most =>Empire earth , Deadspace , Fallout3 , NFS mostwanted , WWE smack down vs Raw series

Actually , if any one says gaming is childish , y the game is rated as TEEN RATED ???

:: in my point of view - Game that helps me not to get involve in bad things it always keeps me away from bad society outside - offcourse gaming is one &only best friend i can trust now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom