Is any thing wrong whith the hard disk?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

life31

Journeyman
I bought a new Seagate Hard disk.

The problem is that when i check its size it shows something around 138000Mb.

Is any thing wrong with it??????

I partitioned it with in the following ratio

c: 10001mb
d: 39999mb
e: 39999mb
f: 41000mb

So its something around 130gb ??????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Whats the deal???

Cant understand :confused: :(

aadipa

Padawan
If it is 160GB disk then actual size must be around 148~149GB.
Manufacturers take 160GB = 160,000,000,000.

OP
life31

life31

Journeyman
Oh its 148 of actual space. But i think mine showed 138.

Anyways its seagate so not much to worry. 5 years warrenty :)

OP
life31

life31

Journeyman
You mean wasting space on default allocated space???????

But i was talking about what shows up initially when the Hd is detected in setup.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
imt, more partitions = lessing of space ..... try reducing it 2 3 .....

I don't think its true. My HDD has 6 partitions and still the space is what it should be, 233 GB on a 250 GB one. may be some space was left unallocated while partitioning the drive.
Right click on my computer, click on manage then click on disk management to check if that is the case. If not, then get the drive to the service center before it is filled up with data.

OP
life31

life31

Journeyman
Lol there it shows Disk 0 Basic 127.99GB online ????????

Any ways does it depend on some thing like on the MOBO or the type ie IDE or SATA????

Its an IDE and my MOBO is AMD

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Anyways its seagate so not much to worry. 5 years warrenty :)
lol...and then u loses ur data and in replacement they give u certified repaired HDD, those r piece of trash, noise like critter...critter...creah :D:-|

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
Lol there it shows Disk 0 Basic 127.99GB online ????????

Any ways does it depend on some thing like on the MOBO or the type ie IDE or SATA????

Its an IDE and my MOBO is AMD

ok if it shows 127 GB then nothing to worry.........you have just to enablebigLBA

in winXP

goto->run->regedit
navigate to
HKey_Local_Machine\system\current Control set\services\atapi\parameters

find "EnableBigLBA" there and change it value to 1.(if it is not there,write it and make its value 1)

exit Regedit and reboot.

you must be done......:)

OP
life31

life31

Journeyman
lol...and then u loses ur data and in replacement they give u certified repaired HDD, those r piece of trash, noise like critter...critter...creah :D:-|

Lol but i think WD sucks more than that.........

Had WD Oct.2004 totally crashed gets detected cannot be formated nor partitioned nothing can be done. Warrent 3yrs so no option other than dumping it.

Two more of my friends WD HD crashed after crossing that 3 yrs warrenty mark :) Kinda funny.

Got one more guy over this forum who said that his WD 40 and 80 gb got damaged after 3.5yrs

So no point in going for it again. And samsung nope..... One of my friends one month old HD went off though got a new one on replacement

So better Seagate. N sounds all HDD make when they get old. My new one right no doesent make any loud sound right now.

ok if it shows 127 GB then nothing to worry.........you have just to enablebigLBA

in winXP

goto->run->regedit
navigate to

find "EnableBigLBA" there and change it value to 1.(if it is not there,write it and make its value 1)

exit Regedit and reboot.

Ohh... will need to try this ASAP.

But can you explain what this is and why did it show lesser space

Last edited:

ramsingh

Journeyman
i hav my problem with d HDD.. seagate..
whenever some data is acessed from HDD , there is a sound.. whic seems to be of more sound than normal.. what is d problem??

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^yeah disk management shows you

Lol but i think WD sucks more than that.........

Had WD Oct.2004 totally crashed gets detected cannot be formated nor partitioned nothing can be done. Warrent 3yrs so no option other than dumping it.

Two more of my friends WD HD crashed after crossing that 3 yrs warrenty mark :) Kinda funny.

Got one more guy over this forum who said that his WD 40 and 80 gb got damaged after 3.5yrs

So no point in going for it again. And samsung nope..... One of my friends one month old HD went off though got a new one on replacement

So better Seagate. N sounds all HDD make when they get old. My new one right no doesent make any loud sound right now.
I hav only one WD 40GB and 6 seagate HDD (1x10GB PATA,2x80GB PATA,2x160GB SATA2,1x250GB SATA2).

One 160GB is certified repaired HDD and sometimes it refuses to boot, once or a few data got corrupted.

Other 250GB was recently purchased, previous week, and it failed all the most important tests in seatools, but the performance of drive was amazing, though its partition got corrupted too at one time, now waiting for the replacement. Irony is that I purchased this one for backup...lol

IMO older HDD are better and works flawless, but newer are more buggy.

i hav my problem with d HDD.. seagate..
whenever some data is acessed from HDD , there is a sound.. whic seems to be of more sound than normal.. what is d problem??
download seatools from seagate website and run short DST test.

Last edited:
OP
life31

life31

Journeyman
ya win xp by default does not support size larger than 127GB thats it..:)

Oh thats the case. Might be :)

^^yeah disk management shows you

I hav only one WD 40GB and 6 seagate HDD (1x10GB PATA,2x80GB PATA,2x160GB SATA2,1x250GB SATA2).

One 160GB is certified repaired HDD and sometimes it refuses to boot, once or a few data got corrupted.

Other 250GB was recently purchased, previous week, and it failed all the most important tests in seatools, but the performance of drive was amazing, though its partition got corrupted too at one time, now waiting for the replacement. Irony is that I purchased this one for backup...lol

IMO older HDD are better and works flawless, but newer are more buggy.

download seatools from seagate website and run short DST test.

Lol bad luck with that new disk and lol that 250gb was your back up :D :D :D

So did the data get lost or will they retrive the data for you along with the replacement.

I heard that they retrive data and also some firms in chennai, madras do that.... but lol fees are 30k :) :D

Last edited:
OP
life31

life31

Journeyman

in winXP

goto->run->regedit
navigate to

exit Regedit and reboot.

Lol no file with name "EnableBigLBA"???

Do i need to write it??? If yes how do i????

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
ya u will have to create it.....

right click on the right pane-> goto new->DWORD VALUE

rename it exactly as given EnableBigLBA and now set its value to 1(enable) 0(disable) reboot your PC. now goto disk management(rt click
on MyComputer and select manage from there select disk management) you will now see all the partitions in the right window and new unpartitioned space also........:)

OP
life31

life31

Journeyman
ya u will have to create it.....

right click on the right pane-> goto new->DWORD VALUE

rename it exactly as given EnableBigLBA and now set its value to 1(enable) 0(disable) reboot your PC. now goto disk management(rt click
on MyComputer and select manage from there select disk management) you will now see all the partitions in the right window and new unpartitioned space also........:)

Wohaaaaa..................

Yes its done now its 149.05GB abd around 21GB unalocated.
Wow almost a partition that would have been wasted....

But is it of any harm to the HDD or the system. Hope not :D :D

By the way its unalocated and outside the extended. So how do i get it under extended. Do i need to deleate the partitions again and repartition??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom