IS 1600Mhz 8GB DDR3 "MUCH MUCH" better than 400Mhz DDR2 8GB - BUT FOR ME THE COST FACTOR

Hever

Right off the assembly line
IS 1600Mhz 8GB DDR3 ram - much much better than a 400Mhz DDR2 8gb ram ?

I want to get more memory. I have a AMD X4 630 right now with 3GB DDR2 @400MHZ.

I could buy the ddr3 but for that i will have to leave this system at all and just buy a new whole system - around minimum Rs 17,000 for the new rig.

So whats the choice -

a) A complete system - COST - Rs 17,000 +
or

b) Buy 4GB more DDR2 ram running at 400Mhz - (so that total ram becomes 7GB ddr2 @ 400Mhz in my current pc) - COST will come to be - Rs 3000

Right now my current system is -

Cpu - amd x4 630 2.8Ghz ( 4 core )
Mobo - biostar ta785ge 128m
Ram - 3gb ddr2 400mhz
Os - windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

So is 8GB DDR3 @1600Mhz ram much much better than a DDR2 8gb @400Mhz ?

OP
H

Hever

First question, why you want to buy more memory?

I dont find my pc performance too good, really because the main factor is that when memory on my windows 7 home prem is like 70% used - it becomes bit slow and less responsive.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Answer to your question: yes.
Even if you ignore the frequency, the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 alone defines the difference of performance between the two.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - you most probably have DDr2 800 Mhz ram modules and though you may see performance increase with DDr3 ram modules your present config is also good too - just make sure your HDD is Ok, drivers are updated and there's no virus - the slowness you are facing may be due you mobo needs to share system ram as gfx ram which lowers performance - if you want upgrade just install a good gfx card and PSU ( and if possible a SSd as boot drive ) - that will make your pc faster.

OP
H

Hever

Guys, i too know the difference is good - but also consider the cost - Rs 3000 vs 17000 -

And can u tell me a bit accurately - what difference i will notice in these 2 , stated above ?

for eg. in terms of using a browser like firefox or chrome - for say surfing - some 10 - 20 sites opened ? I know there will be difference - but just tell me what kind of feel really - when doing this particular task ?

Will it be like 1600Mhz DDR3 will make firefox / chrome feel 1 second faster in most aspects, viz, tabs open 'SOME' faster, sites load 'SOME' faster ?

I know that depends on isp speed but what will this DDR3 ram do WHAT EFFECT REALLY in things like browsing multiple tabs / sites ?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Raw speed depends on processor, not on RAM.
If you are thinking it like 3K vs 17K, then I think you should spend 3K and be happy.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, i too know the difference is good - but also consider the cost - Rs 3000 vs 17000 -

And can u tell me a bit accurately - what difference i will notice in these 2 , stated above ?

for eg. in terms of using a browser like firefox or chrome - for say surfing - some 10 - 20 sites opened ? I know there will be difference - but just tell me what kind of feel really - when doing this particular task ?

Will it be like 1600Mhz DDR3 will make firefox / chrome feel 1 second faster in most aspects, viz, tabs open 'SOME' faster, sites load 'SOME' faster ?

I know that depends on isp speed but what will this DDR3 ram do WHAT EFFECT REALLY in things like browsing multiple tabs / sites ?

use opera .. though a bit laggy I can open 40+ tabs at the same time using old 1GB DDr ram ;-)

xs.dhaval

Broken In
I seriously dont think adding more RAM will help increasing the speed.

3GB is adequate for normal use. You just need to maintain your computer, dude.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, 3GB is enough for most users though if OP is using some resource hungry gfx/vid/virtualization apps he should consider 8GB - 12GB and for gaming on a 64 bit OS it's better to have at-least 4GB ram.

Hrishi

Re: IS 1600Mhz 8GB DDR3 "MUCH MUCH" better than 400Mhz DDR2 8GB - BUT FOR ME THE COST FACTOR

Well , the difference in the RAM frequency definitely matters upto an Extent.
However increasing the amount of RAM installed will not boost the performance unless and untill you are surpassing the RAM consumption more than what is already available. [Considering both the RAM modules have same frequency & latency]

I.E> If you cannot exceed your RAM consumption more than 3GB alone , there is Strictly no need for an Upgrade.
Its just like buying 8GB RAM for a 32BIT/X86 Win7. The rest 4GB will be wasted.

What you need is a RAM with faster frequency/clock and better latency.
A faster ram will decrease the amount of time required to access the data stored in it , hence increasing the performance.
4GB DDR3 RAM running at 1600mhz should be good enough for casual use , even for light gaming too.

Btw , are you using a dedicated GFX card or are you sharing your Primary memory as VRAM.??

-------------------------------------------

In case you are looking for a noticeable difference in the PC performance , you might consider upgrading the CPU and getting a GFX card.
In case planning for a complete upgrade , then look forward to Intel .Although it will cost you a bigger hole , but it will be worth it.

Your current PC config is also good enough for normal day to day use , after adding a few upgrades and tweaks.

use opera .. though a bit laggy I can open 40+ tabs at the same time using old 1GB DDr ram ;-)

Can you do that on Win7 too :shocked: ??? [Old 1GB DDR]

@OP ; THe Current RAM you mentioned should not be 400Mhz.
It should either be 667mhz or 800mhz. Its DDR2 Version.

A 8GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM will certainly be faster than 8GB DDR2 @800mhz.

However it is not just RAM that will determine the speed. Processors have major role to play in this[# of Cores ,Stock Frequency , Amount & Level Of Cache memory , # Of transistors/CPU Architecture] , alongwith a faster HDD [7200rpm against 5400rpm].

Top Bottom