iPod shuffle is now only $49

Which of the current shuffle colours would you like to own?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Zen stone Plus with speakers still kicks the arse of iPod shuffle. For $60 which is $10 more then iPod Shuffle, U get a speaker, ability to use this on any operating system, ability to use any software to sync & transfer with a screen......well...Zen looks like a better deal to me.

Don't forget better sound quality.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I'll prefer to get a Zen Stone instead. That way I can just copy-paste music with Windows Explorer. But Shuffle has a very useful clip though. Both have equally good sound quality.

The 2gb version is an overkill. 2gb of music is too much for a screenless player. Thats why Creative added a display for their 2gb Zen Stone.

We should also consider the price of a decent pair of earphones for these players. Both Creative and Apple bundle pathetic earphones with their players.

goobimama

 Macboy
You forgot to mention: No clip. Low battery life. Bigger (if ever so slightly) than the Shuffle, No sync with iTunes (for those who manage with iTunes).

Thats why Creative added a display for their 2gb Zen Stone.
There's no point in a 1 line display. It simply uses up battery life. You can't select the track you want to, you already know which track is playing, and stuff like battery life and such is already featured in the Shuffle. The only way a screen is useful is if you can see album art, select the track you want, manage playlists and such.

Though of course, for those who like the drag and drop explorer support, nothing like the Zen stone :)

Last edited:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Its not just a one line display. See for yourself. Also checkout its other feature like FM radio, voice recording, etc. which Shuffle lacks.

goobimama

 Macboy
I meant 1 line for displaying the song. You can't display a list of songs in there can you? I admit the voice recording and FM radio (for those who use that) are compelling features, but I'd still stick with the shuffle.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
When someone wants to listen in Hostel or while traveling, 1 GB is enough. The songs in the iPod is hand picked and the 'best' songs you like to listen again and again.

I myself a Radio gaga but what's the point if you're not a city where there's no FM? Ideally I'll to listen with speakers when I'm home..for which I've my Nokia 6030.

Voice recording and line display (I know my fav. songs and it's not a 8 GB collection, I'm carrying around) is useless for me.

Did I tell iPod looks beautiful? I've an iPod Nano already and I like the sound quality .. I like the way my iPod + iTunes is setup. It's iPod only for me.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I just saw the Stone. Apart from the other obvious disadvantages, it looks cheap and ugly. Sorry!

The shuffle is just too classy and now that it only costs $49, the Stone or any other competing player simply has no chance. Remember that, in the U.S., people buy things that cost under fifty bucks on a whim. Those shuffles are, quite literally, going to sell like potato chips.

You'll see. :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
WTF! You're converted more than 100GB worth of videos for the iPod format?

Holy S@#! are you serious man??? How much Music do you have????

And to the rest

Music is rather less (Tis mix stuff CDs, some legit mp3s of old songs from t series and well some...)

The rest is movies, Here is a list, all converted from DVDs or VCDs The main reason is quality:
Matrix (all 3)
James Bond (all 21) (The space killers)
LOTR (all 3)
Star Wars (all 6)
Fantastic Four 1,2
Spider Man (all 3)
HarryPotter 1-5
Terminator (1-3)

TV serials include:
Card Captor Sakura (Anime 70 episodes)
Noir (Anime 26 episodes)
Remington Steele Season 1 and 2 (around 23 episodes each)

In Hindi:
Style
XCuse ME
Garam masala
hungama
and some more comedy movies

If I calculate the value of DVDs of the content it ends up being way more than iPod itself. And yep they are all original. Some of the things I have purchased. Most of these my niece in US buys them there, brings them here and I buy it from her here in India for 1/10 of the current India mkt price of the title.

O h iforgot

10 GB is claimed by only photos. Yep thse photos are just 350 MB when on computer. Sending them to iPod means that iTunes 'optimizes' images and bloats the size to 10 Gb (Grr)

Last edited:

iamtheone

Journeyman
I just saw the Stone. Apart from the other obvious disadvantages, it looks cheap and ugly. Sorry!

yea sure it doesn't have an i on it....ryt???....man r u seriously so obstinate???...or u just pretend to be so....saurav din say anything bad bout the shuffle so why the **** did u start ranting??....IMO zen is a much better than ipod and just for 10$ more u can get 1 gb extra memory and speakers.....those who think 2gb are too much for music can use the extra gigs to store other data and use the zen as a thumb drive too

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
saurav din say anything bad bout the shuffle so why the **** did u start ranting??
LOL! Neither the Stone is Saurav's brother and nor is the shuffle mine. These things don't have feelings and I couldn't care less even if Saurav abused the shuffle's parents. Why are you acting all weird about it, as if that Stone thingy is your girlfriend or something! :lol:

As for why I don't like it, well, apart from the crappy looks, it won't synchronize with iTunes. Not it's fault, I know, but all my media is there since it is the best media management tool in the business and I need a player that plays nice with it.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Adding the phrase, 'IMO' would've been better here!

IMO the Zen looks smoother and definitely NOT cheap. But $49 for the shuffle would surely make it a hot seller! Use and throw kinda item in the US.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Mohit you have a fantastic collection there. If I had the dough right now, i'd have bought that iPod of yours for the same price that you bought it (or maybe even more) just for the movies in it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
But Shuffle has a very useful clip though.

Zen stone skin with clip.

You forgot to mention: No clip. Low battery life. Bigger (if ever so slightly) than the Shuffle, No sync with iTunes (for those who manage with iTunes

Let's say the same thing for shuffle...shell we, why only look at one side of mirror.

No screen, low battery life, no sync with WMP11, Amarok, <insert favorite media player here>

You can't select the track you want to

You can switch to other track using the screen & buttons.

Ya, true words from an Apple Fanboy who is comparing a non-Apple device to Apple iPod. Obviously Zen stone sux in this case :D

As for why I don't like it, well, apart from the crappy looks, it won't synchronize with iTunes.

Let's talk about Shuffle here again.

I don't like it, apart from lack of screen, speaker & voice recording it doesn't sync with WMP11/Amarok. Not it's fault, I know, but all my media is there since it is the best media management tool in the business and I need a player that plays nice with it. It can play songs purchased from iTunes only & no other online store. It needs to be used with iTunes only else it will not work properly.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Cut the crap. Everyone here except you knows that iPods play songs bought from anywhere and aren't tied to the iTunes Store in any way.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Cut the crap. Everyone here except you knows that iPods play songs bought from anywhere and aren't tied to the iTunes Store in any way.

Lolz....You call yourself a Mac Genius but don't know that Songs bought from other Music stores like nepstar etc which have Playforsure DRM don't play on iPod.

And a song purchased from iTunes music store with Fairplay doesn't play in any PMP other then iPod.

Non-DRM files play anywhere, but majority of songs on iTunes music store are still DRM based.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
But the majority of songs outside the iTunes Store are DRM free and they all play on the iPod. You can strip the DRM off iTunes purchases as easily as you can tie your shoelaces (which, come to think of it, might not be all that easy for you).

In any case, DRM is not Apple's requirement, it's the music labels'.

And you're one to talk. Microsoft's own Zune does not play Microsoft's own PlaysForSure DRMed media. Ha! Ha! That's good customer service right there. :lol:

Like I said, cut the crap.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
But the majority of songs outside the iTunes Store are DRM free and they all play on the iPod. You can strip the DRM off iTunes purchases as easily as you can tie your shoelaces

Which is illegal, isn't it.?

In any case, DRM is not Apple's requirement, it's the music labels'.

Ya, it's just that Apple used iTunes + DRM + iPod to gain the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom