What should I buy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I, for one, would suggest an iPod touch over the Cowon but then again, I own an iPhone, love it and am completely biased in favour of it, so you might not want to bank on my recommendation. :)
Dude you told that you own an iPhone then how come you recommend iPod touch which is different from iPhone.
If you have or know about iPod Touch can you please list me its features?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It isn't much different. It's basically a much thinner iPhone, sans the phone, and with a shiny, scratch prone backside. It also does not come with a wall charger or dock, while the iPhone does.

Both run the same OS, have the same screen and same hardware components and the same capabilities. Both have the same interface and functions. They're almost identical (except for the phone part, of course). :)

If you want to know anything in particular, let me know. I've used an iPod touch extensively too. :)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Dude I really need to know more about iPod Touch! What are the formats that can be played? Can I play mkv, avi, DVD files on it? or Do I have to convert it to some other format? I mainly need to know the formats that it supports? If I go for 8 GB one I think I cant store much of movies of DVD format.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You'll have to convert all movies to the AAC format, using H.264 encoding. It'll have to be 44.100 kHz with a maximum horizontal resolution of 640 pixels.

Basically, you take any movie, import it into iTunes, right click on it and hit 'Convert Selection for iPod/iPhone". Or open it using QuickTime Pro and export it using the default iPod setting. Alternatively, you can use one of the many free and paid iPod conversion utilities available on Windows. :)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
How is the video quality like when we play it on the iPod? I really dont know much about AAC format. Does it matter what the source of the video file is? For example would we get a better output file from DVD Rip, VOB file as compared to other formats which are smaller in size?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Of course you will. The quality of the video remains exactly the same after the conversion, so if you start out with better quality, you end up with better quality.

On the iPod, it looks crisper than it does on a computer because of the very high PPI density but, of course, the screen size is small so you might not want to watch entire movies on it. :)

Hrithan2020

In the zone
I personally think that Cowon offers better audio quality than i pod.A good video quality too..

So go for it,unless u feel touch screen is a must.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
It would have been great if I had touch screen in Cowon A3 but main thing I'm looking for is good audio and video quality. Even if iPod Touch gives good audio and video quality I dont mind shelling out more money. But it should be worth it.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ Can't compare A3 with ipod Touch. If you put aside the touch UI, it's nothing before A3, be it audio/video quality or format support or features.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Man I just now checked the price with Lipap Systems Pvt. Ltd. They are quoting Rs 23k for 60 GB and 21k for 30 GB. Damn thats so expensive man!

Tanmay

Journeyman
iPod Touch is nowhere close to Cowon A3. The iPod Touch can't play any other formats, TV Out Cable Costs a bomb, no DVR Functionality, smaller screen, lesser resolution, lesser space, lower Sound Quality !

Cowon is the Best. Its costly here, (so is the iTouch) so try to get from US.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Though I have seen videos of Cowon A3 on the net I still wanted to have a look personally. Too be really honest I don't know about some of the features of Cowon A3. And also some of the reviews were against the joystick. Can someone throw some light about the other features of Cowon A3?

Tanmay

Journeyman
If you've read the review, what different features are we going to tell you ? Just check the Official Site of Cowon and see the features for yourself.....

*www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/a3/

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
The other day I had asked my colleague's friend who was coming from US to get it for me. :( Unfortunately he couldnt find one. I think he was shopping in Wallmart which I think didnt have any stock. Since I came to know about him coming very late I couldnt have asked him to get it shipped using Amazon. I guess have to wait for someone else who is coming over from US.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Which is the best online shopping portal in US? I have choice from Amazon, newegg.com. How much would the tax be like? Do these people charge additional for shipping? Amazon has mentioned some offer but I'm not sure how it works?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
My friend's colleague is getting it for me from US. The only thing I'm not able to figure out is what do I need to protect it from scratches. I found one leather case but that costs $46. Can anybody suggest me something?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Thanks all for your inputs! A special thanks to desiibond. I have finally purchased COWON A3 60 GB. Waiting for the piece to arrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom