iphone 3gs at 20k

oromis

i pwn joo!!
Hey
I happened to come across this post
Apple re-launches iPhone 3GS in India | News | IT PRO India and dint seem to find any related threads about it here so though I’d post a query or two.

I’ve been using a standard candybar non-smartphone for past 2 years and want to upgrade to a touch screen phone. I own an ipod touch (4th gen) and am a big big fan of apple technology and touch features.

I want to know, is it worth investing 20k in the iphone 3gs ? I could save a few months salary and pick up and iphone 4, but I am still not sure if I am ready to spend 35-40k on a phone. And this new 20k deal seems very lucrative.

Note: the 3gs also supports iOS 5, and i have the 4th gen itouch already, so i'm already experiencing iphone 4 features like facetime, retinal display etc

Please advice and thanks in advance
Oromis

Terabyte

In the zone
^You can check Google Nexus S Android phone as well. It also costs 20k.

Also it will be better if you mention your usage and requirements?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Hey
Apple re-launches iPhone 3GS in India | News | IT PRO India and dint seem to find any related threads about it here so though I’d post a query or two.

I’ve been using a standard candybar non-smartphone for past 2 years and want to upgrade to a touch screen phone. I own an ipod touch (4th gen) and am a big big fan of apple technology and touch features.

I want to know, is it worth investing 20k in the iphone 3gs ? I could save a few months salary and pick up and iphone 4, but I am still not sure if I am ready to spend 35-40k on a phone. And this new 20k deal seems very lucrative.

Note: the 3gs also supports iOS 5, and i have the 4th gen itouch already, so i'm already experiencing iphone 4 features like facetime, retinal display etc

Oromis

Given that you already have iPod touch 4G, better get android device.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Hey

Oromis

iPod Touch 4 does not have retina display. Although it does have facetime and 720p video recorder. Also, a very powerful processor and smooth performance for latest iOS games.

You won't enjoy going to iPhone 3Gs... its like going backwards... slower phone, no HD recording, etc.

IMO, you should get an Android phone for 20k... it will be better value for money. Even an HTC Desire S @22k easily outperforms iPhone 4 in many ways...

Think about it...

Or if you don't want to leave the Apple ecosystem, then you will have to wait a few more months. It is rumored that coming September, Apple is launching two phones...

1. iPhone 5 - The new, faster phone to replace iPhone 4
2. iPhone 4S - Basically a cheaper phone for developing countries like India and China... It will be an iPhone 3GS with front facing camera for facetime and a faster processor to support iOS 5.

OP
oromis

oromis

i pwn joo!!
hey, thanks for the prompt replies.

my requirements : apart from using phone features, general browsing (intend to take 3g connection), use of few apps (nothing major, social networks, few games like angry birds etc, communication and info based apps, ndtv app), and using multimedia (music).

also basic camera usage for daily/occassional situations. for general photography, i usually carry around my digi cam.

secondly, i would prefer to stick within the apple eco system. the problem lies with the fact that should i invest 20k here, or save more and spend 34-40k on the iphone 4. are the improvements in the iphone 4 sufficient to compensate for the extra cost?

because i have no doubt that even when iphone 5 comes out and i have to source it from abroad, it will be equally costly as the iphone 4.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
because i have no doubt that even when iphone 5 comes out and i have to source it from abroad, it will be equally costly as the iphone 4.

Equally costly but twice as better... 8 MP Camera, Dual Core A5 processor, 1 GB RAM and a host of other features yet unknown... Better to wait a few months till iPhone 5 gets launched...

OP
oromis

oromis

i pwn joo!!
Equally costly but twice as better... 8 MP Camera, Dual Core A5 processor, 1 GB RAM and a host of other features yet unknown... Better to wait a few months till iPhone 5 gets launched...

yes but please understand what i'm trying to explain. i cant afford to spend 35-40k on a phone.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
yes but please understand what i'm trying to explain. i cant afford to spend 35-40k on a phone.

A new iPhone 3Gs is not worth it at the moment... its already 2 years old... thats its End of Life (EOL) date... I am positively sure that iOS 5 won't be supported on 3GS hardware... maybe a stripped down version of iOS 5 would.

Since you already own an iPod Touch 4, no point in getting a 3GS. Better get a cheaper Android device... something like an Optimus One or Dell XCD35 for less than 10k... to go along with the iPod...

If I was in your place, and wanted to remain in the Apple ecosystem, I would look for a second hand 3GS for 10k-12k range. Won't be difficult to find... A new 3GS for 20k is just not worth the money...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
iPod Touch 4 does not have retina display. Although it does have facetime and 720p video recorder. Also, a very powerful processor and smooth performance for latest iOS games.

You won't enjoy going to iPhone 3Gs... its like going backwards... slower phone, no HD recording, etc.

IMO, you should get an Android phone for 20k... it will be better value for money. Even an HTC Desire S @22k easily outperforms iPhone 4 in many ways...

iPod touch 4G does have retina display. It's the camera that is considerably poor. and no, D:S doesn't outperform iPhone 4. It's the devices like O:2X, SGSII, sensation that outperform iPhone 4.

OP
oromis

oromis

i pwn joo!!
hey

taking everyone's suggestions into account, i have deferred my decision to buy the 3gs. will wait till september and see how the market scene is and then decide on a phone to buy.

thank you for all the prompt advice.

EDIT: at same time, could someone suggest the best smartphone i could possible get around 18-25k budget?

im looking at a device with good touch sensitivity, great multimedia features, and a decent camera.

Terabyte

In the zone
^Apart from the camera Nexus S is better. Also Neo isn't launched in India. Unless it is launched below 20k(which is unlikely) it is not worth it IMO.
BTW are you interested in rooting, installing Custom ROMs n all?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

no. iphone5 should cost same as iphone4 at launch. this is the rule of mobile. new mobile gets launched at appx same price as mobile it'll replace. Eg: Samsung Galaxy S & S2. S & S2 both got launched at ~30k price.

at same time, could someone suggest the best smartphone i could possible get around 18-25k budget?

im looking at a device with good touch sensitivity, great multimedia features, and a decent camera.

20k: Nexus S or LG Optimus Black
23k: Desire S
25k: LG Optimus 2X

Sarath

iDota
+1 to shifting to android

You have the ipod touch 4G. The only upgrade you should be looking from that is an apple iphone 5 when it comes. The 3GS would frustrate you as you have had better iOS experience on your ipod.

Saving up so much and spending 40k on a device that is mostly in your hand and prone to losing more than any other device is a difficult choice. Think about it. 20k is the sweet spot that gives a heartburn but not a heartattack when things go wrong.

Top Bottom