Internet plan -DSL vs Cable-which 1 to opt for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: From INDORE(MP ) - Well I DONT dwnld s/w or songs/clips . basically surf n trawl across boards.Maybe ocassionally but not regularly . Also I'm on a tight budget . rs 400 max.

I have basically 3 options -in INDORE (MP ) -

1 BSNL - Home start up - Rs 250 pm +modem rent 60 =Rs 310
Download cap -1 Gb ( I think sufficient for me ).
Speed - 256 kbps - to 2 mbps (depends )
I already have a BSNL phone .

2Airtel - Rs 399 + phone connection = Rs.550 pm (minimum including phone )
Dwnld cap - Unlimited
Speed - 64 kbps.

3 Local Cable - Adityanet - OFFERING 2 differnt plans -
(A) evening 5 - morning 5 - Rs. 350 pm .
Unlimited download .
Speed - 128 kbps .

(B) 24 hrs plan - Rs 400.
Unlimited download
Speed - 64 kbps .

WHICH PLAN DO U GUYS RECOMMEND ? Do these cable internet connections have some issues or is it normal . Any guys using such service ?

Last edited:

apoorv.sharma

Lean mean A@# kickin M/C
i guess u shud obviously opt for the BSNL plan, coz its relatively the cheapest at an extremely good speed and IF u say its sufficient for ur usage...den no worries ! ;)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
If you are only surfing and not downloading, you can also look @ plans from local vendors. But if this BSNL plan includes the Night Unltd factor, go for it right away.

OP
DigitalImmigrant

DigitalImmigrant

Broken In
kumarmohit said:
If you are only surfing and not downloading, you can also look @ plans from local vendors. But if this BSNL plan includes the Night Unltd factor, go for it right away.
It doesnt include Night unlimited. Thats Rs. 550 plan , beyond my budget currently .

hailgautam

Youngling
It's bsnl all the way.

Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
The first plan is the best I think. 1 GB is more than enough for you, considering your requirements. Moreover you get a speed of 256 Kbps.
If you are going through forums and boards, for 4-5 hours daily, then you will consume 25-30 MB.
So 30*30 days=900 MB.
100 MB left for emegency.
Use flash blockers to block unwanted flash animations from loading.:cool:

OP
DigitalImmigrant

DigitalImmigrant

Broken In
Lucky_star said:
The first plan is the best I think. 1 GB is more than enough for you, considering your requirements. Moreover you get a speed of 256 Kbps.
If you are going through forums and boards, for 4-5 hours daily, then you will consume 25-30 MB.
So 30*30 days=900 MB.
100 MB left for emegency.
Use flash blockers to block unwanted flash animations from loading.:cool:
Thnx 4 d flash blocker suggsstion . any thing else I need to do in ur opinion ?

@all , thnx guys , will opt for BSNL then as u all say .

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
I am puzzled with this 256kbps, 512kbps etc download speeds that the service providers keep bragging about.

I currently have tataindicombroadband (vsnl) 256kbps unlimited plan and I use BitComet 0.83 for my downloads (mostly Linux distros) but the average download speed is 27kB/s (well at least that's what it shows on BitComet).

So my question is: why do they call it 256kbps connection when it does not even max 40kB/s download speed?

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
@caleb, you are mistaking kbps(kilobits per second) with KBps(KiloBytes per second). With 256 kbpsyou will get a maximum of 30 KB/s, not 40KB/s

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks that makes sense...after your reply I've googled and this is what I found webopedia (this is in case anyone else is as dumb as I am):

"kbps:
Short for kilobits per second, a measure of data transfer speed. Modems, for example, are measured in Kbps. Note that one Kbps is 1,000 bits per second, whereas a KB (kilobyte) is 1,024 bytes. Data transfer rates are measured using the decimal meaning of K whereas data storage is measured using the powers-of-2 meaning of K. Technically, kbps should be spelled with a lowercase k to indicate that it is decimal but almost everyone spells it with a capital K."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom